Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 11th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Please help me look into this food

Hey guys! I currently own a private franchise with this supply line called "Quixtar". Now they have all kinds of products, most of which I use and are top quality great stuff (such as cleaning, health, beauty, etc... the list goes on). They also have dog food and cat food and pet supplies, but before I put my pets on them, I wanted to ask here to see what you guys think. Now currently my cats are on the cheapest cat food, indoor formula (and happy about it) and Hunter is on Purina puppy chow since it's the only thing that settled his digestive tract. In their dry food, here are the details they list:

DOG:
Holistically formulated to keep your dog active and strong throughout its life, Nutripet Premium is high in protein, low in fat, and long on flavor that dogs love. It contains essential vitamins, minerals, fruits, and vegetables to provide the foundational elements that help support your dog's health. Its flavorful nuggets deliver a hearty crunch that dogs of any age or size can enjoy. More important, it provides 100% complete, balanced nutrition for all stages of your dog's life - based on nutritional standards established by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). It includes a balanced blend of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids.* Has no preservatives, artificial flavors, or artificial colors. Developed from our unparalleled knowledge and understanding of nutritional supplements, and produced in accordance with our strict quality standards, so you can trust your pet's health with Nutripet. Two 20 lb. bags = $67 USD.
Ingredients

Crude protein…not less than 27.0%
Moisture…not more than 10.0%
Crude fat…not less than 12.0%
Omega 6…not less than 1.65%*
Crude fiber…not more than 3.5%
Omega 3…not less than 0.2%*

INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN MEAL, GROUND CORN, WHEAT, CHICKEN FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, CITRIC ACID), FISH MEAL, BROWN RICE, FRUIT & VEGETABLE BLEND (DRIED BEET PULP, ALFALFA POWDER, DRIED APPLES, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, DRIED CARROTS, DRIED PEAS, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATO, PARSLEY POWDER), NATURAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FLAXSEED, BREWERS YEAST, SALT, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, ZINC OXIDE, MANGANESE OXIDE, IRON SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, IODINE, SODIUM SELENITE, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, BIOTIN, FOLIC ACID, AND ROSEMARY EXTRACT.

CATS:
Ingredients (Nutripet)

CHICKEN MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, BREWERS RICE, GROUND CORN, CHICKEN FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS), FRUIT AND VEGETABLE BLEND (DRIED BEET PULP [SUGAR REMOVED], ALFALFA POWDER, DRIED APPLES, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, DRIED BROCOLLI, DRIED CARROTS, DRIED PEAS, DRIED SPINACH, DRIED TOMATO, PARSLEY POWDER), CHICKEN, NATURAL FLAVOR, FISH MEAL, FLAXSEED, DRIED EGG PRODUCT, BREWERS YEAST, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM SULFATE, LECITHIN, SALT, CANOLA OIL, TAURINE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENT, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MINERALS (KELP POLYSACCHARIDE COMPLEXES OF ZINC, IRON, ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CALCIUM IODATE, COBALT CARBONATE, SODIUM SELENITE), DL-METHIONINE, L-LYSINE.

Product Description

Its holistic formula contains essential vitamins and minerals – plus a blend of fruits and vegetables – to provide foundational elements that help support your cat’s health. It provides 100% complete, balanced nutrition for all stages of your cat’s life, based on nutritional standards established by the American Association of Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). Its crunchy morsels deliver a hearty, flavorful taste. Includes meat protein sourced entirely from chicken, and a balanced blend of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids (these ingredients are not considered essential by AAFCO). No preservatives, artificial flavors, or artificial colors. Trust your pet’s health to Nutripet. Two 6 lb. bags = $33.90 USD.

They also have a cat food brand named "Prominence":
Ingredients

Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with Ethoxyquin), Beef Digest, Chicken Digest, Tuna Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, D-activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), a-Tocopherol acetate (source of Vitamin E) Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide. Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite. Free of added soybean meal, artificial colors and sugar.

Product Description

Easy to digest. Improved package ensures freshness. Natural preservatives and flavors. Protein content, 32% minimum; ash level, 6% maximum. Gourmet flavor. Two 8 lb. bags = $23.99 USD.

Here is the link to the pet stuff:
http://www.quixtar.com/products/cont...id=718&ctg=931

Please let me know what you think, I know it's a LOOONG post but you guys are more familiar with good pet food than I am. Also if you think it's good and it's cheaper than what you are already purchasing let me know. I can set you up to buy directly from Quixtar (I believe they have companies in Canada too) and you would have 6 month, 100% guarantee when it comes to refunds.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:04 AM

no thanks. lots of red flags in these foods.
-corn
-wheat
-the cat food has 'digest' in it... lots of it... and also has poultry byproduct

at 40 lbs/67$ US, I think it's very expensive for the quality... My Canidae is 40 lbs/57$ Canadian and has far better ingredients. You should also look at how much they are recommending you feed when looking at price (to determine price per meal for your dog).
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Honest Contributor

wow... premium pricing for low-end food! THAT makes sense... to the ones laughing all the way to the bank

i would run away screaming from this scam. if you want to feed your pets crappy food, stick with purina, at least it won't bleed your wallet....

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I agree. Full of corn and other bad things... Not a great food IMO.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Thumbs down

How can a food be considered holistic when it has digest in it. It cannot even be determined what the digest is made up of.

Also the corn and wheat worries me. Corn is listed as the first ingredient in the one food. I certainly would not purchase this when their are other "premium" foods out there for much less money.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Yeah, the nutripet cat food ingredients have corn first- one meat followed by two corns means more corn than meat. For a cat food, that's pretty bad.

Plus they consider beet pulp a vegetable...
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow. And what exactly makes this food any better than Pedigree?

Quote:
Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal,
Yessir! Corn - that's a great diet for totally carnivorous cats who cannot digest or use it.

Very expensive crap.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=mhass1129] Its flavorful nuggets deliver a hearty crunch that dogs of any age or size can enjoy. [QUOTE]

Wow....a HEARTY CRUNCH! This food must be great! I know that's what Harley really looks for in a kibble!

NOT!

I'd love to see how many cups per day they recommend on this food.

I order Timberwolf Organics online for $55US for a 33lb bag. A bit more expensive than this cleverly designed junk food (relatively of course, because I only have to feed Harley two cups a day!). BUT...Timberwolf discounts 10% if you order over $90US, so I buy two bags at a time and the shipping is just $6!!!!

Someone else will have to do the math, because I'm just not that talented.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up Thanks So Much

Thank you so much for your input. The company (quixtar) just pretty much contracts with other companies to get their products on the web, so the food is not actually manufactured by quixtar. They have pretty high quality stuff for everything else, and a lot of people I know said that this dog/cat food was great! But I've heard (or actually, read ) some discussions on this forum regarding the ingredients in some food and I figured I better ask people who know. That's why I love you guys!! =)

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Oh, by the way, "Poultry" falls under the unnamed meats- you can have chicken, turkey, pheasant, crow, etc etc... You just don't know.

Also their omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is too low. It should be around 1:5, but in the dog food it's less than 1:8...(i.e. not enough omega 3, which is the better of the two fatty acids...)
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

that's like charging 50$ for a McDonalds Happy meal! If your going to make a crappy food...isn't it at least supposed to be cheap??!!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
-

Well, I'm a little late but just wanted to add my two cents worth....YUCK !!!!