Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Doggie Wench

Baby Crib Mattresses For Doggie Beds??

Anybody use these mattresses instead of the regular dog beds. I find I spend way too much time vacuuming and laundering the covers and shaking out the pillows (always so full of dust). I went to Babies R Us to pick up a few things for my niece's new daughter and when I saw the mattresses, I went .

They're cheaper than a top of the line dog bed and would only need a flannel mattress cover to wash. Most are covered in vinyl so could easily be wiped down.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We used to have a geriatric black lab with some arthritis issues. We got him a baby mattress and put it at the end of our bed on the floor. It worked great for him! The only disadvantage I found was that if you have to move it, it's a lot heavier than a doggie bed--and if you trip on it in the middle of the night, it can be rather bruising.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Hmm good idea!
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I never tried one,
I don't like the sound it makes with the vynol, even when the kids were in the crib..and they were to heavy to even change..

we have 3 beds for Bree one on each level so that would be alot of crib beds to move when needed..

I find the doggies move around to much.. with the doggie beds you don't here them. It's nothing to just pick it up and put it in the washer, but don't let the doggie see you do that or else you will get those "eyes"
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
NOT a senior member

We use a double sized mattress on the floor for my Dane and Bullmastiff. Got it at a garage sale for twenty bucks brand new with sheets included. Only problem, is that when the Dane gets into bed first, usually smack dab in the middle, she won't let the other in.....and he stands there and barks! I can always tell when she's hogging the bed by all the racket, and I have to tell her to get off, and let him on first.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm thinking that at least I won't have to take the cushions outside to shake them out every other day (we have six extra-large ones) and the covers are so bulky that I have to wash them all separately. Wish I would have thought of that before. I've ordered a Kuranda to see if the dogs will like it before I order more but I certainly couldn't fit 3 in our bedroom. I'll have to take measurements of the mattresses... they'll fit.

Um, by the way, Purpledomino? I think we're due for some pics of your giant furbabies . And, like, real soon too!

Hazelrunpack, I figure if we have 3 lined up side by side and I trip over one, I'll just land on another (hopefully not occupied ).
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Swift Tribe

i have found making sheets for baby crib mattresses a snap. i imagine you could find some fleece to make a easy pocket cover. ive been trying to figure out what we want to do as a sleeping place for Mister cause right now we dont have one. thats a fantastic idea and appeases my desire for LESS FUR!!

-ashley
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
-

I tried a crib mattress with Ceili. No one would lie on it, in fact they even walked around it. I think it may have been too firm for their "Princess-and-the-Pea" sensibilities . I also found it heavy and awkward to be heaving about when I vacuumed.

What's a kuranda LP?
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
What's a kuranda LP?
im not googling it....

-ashley
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM
-

Ah yes...Google ~ good thing Ashley!

http://www.kuranda.com/catalog/index.php

They are cots ~ Hazel has them for the pack in her livingroom. They would be a definite trip hazard for me !
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Swift Tribe

last time i googled something on here.... bendyfoot made up a word.

-ash
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Doggie Wench

And it's a hit!

Lucky normally has first dibs but will share, especially when distracted and must leave the bedroom to see what all the fuss is about. Be it either Penny or Ava who did the distracting (usually a bark in the livingroom), they will run past Lucky and claim the new bed . (Are they actually smart enough to think of doing this on purpose or is it just my imagination? )

Lucky on the new mattress (which I picked up at the Salvation Army for 5$).

And I had to throw in Penny, just for fun, on her favorite bed. Ok, it's not her bed, but it's still her favorite sleeping spot until the Sandman falls asleep .
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2007, 02:47 AM
-

Glad it's such a big hit at your house.

When I first read your suggestion I thought hey, what a great idea cuz my cats have claimed the dogs beds here. But then I read MX3s post...
Quote:
I also found it heavy and awkward to be heaving about when I vacuumed.
and now would like to know your opinion.
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Doggie Wench

Personally, I find it much more convenient, especially with my back problems. The mattress I found is not any heavier than their cushions. All I have to do is lift one side to vacuum underneath. No fur nor dust stick to it and all I have to do for laundry is a light fleece blanket (Ava took care of the sheet within the first 5 minutes ). With the regular dog beds, I have to vacuum them, flip them over, vacuum other side, pull out of liner, carry outside, shake out, then launder the liner, and stuff pillow back inside (by this time, it's all bulky and out of shape so I have to shake it back into place again). Just a little too much strain on my back with all the beds .

I had the idea of building a short wood frame for the mattress so they could have their own 'cribs'. That way, I'd just have to pass the vacuum under them. I just have to move some dressers out of our bedroom to make room for two more .

Oh, they were all a little hesitant when they first walked on it as it has a little 'give.' Didn't take them but a few minutes to get all comfy though and now take turns sleeping on it nightly .
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

I use crib mattress for Libby, with her big bones. Trying to find a bed big enough within price range was next to impossible. At first she wouldn't go on it but her blankie and a piece of apple and from then on it was her bed. Hoover never would touch it. Good thinking LP going to a second hand store.. you can find them everywhere ~ garage sales, etc... And if you happen to have one that has an accident ...NOT a Problem. Yes they do take up some space and I have tripped but ya gotta do what ya gotta do
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM

We have an old Ikea twin foam mattress that we store under our Queen sized bed during the daytime. At night I pull it out and Rose (senior) curls up on it. Geisha knows she better not disturb the diva.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyP View Post
I Yes they do take up some space and I have tripped but ya gotta do what ya gotta do
I push mine up along the wall and leave a little pathway for me to get to the door. I'll be re-arranging the bedroom soon to make more room for them (and me) .
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisha View Post
We have an old Ikea twin foam mattress that we store under our Queen sized bed during the daytime. At night I pull it out and Rose (senior) curls up on it. Geisha knows she better not disturb the diva.
Great idea too! We have drawers though under our bed (built into the actual frame) so we couldn't do this but it is a smart space-saving idea.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
-

LP...."Doggy Wench" - I love it.

I'm going to have to keep my eye open for a crib mattress at the thrift stores. The extra large doggy pillow we bought has now been taken over by the cats and Chase will no longer sleep on it.

We have drawers under our bed too but can always store it in the spare bedroom until company comes.