Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

question for canadians, snow shoes

hi everyone, well i am interested in hearing about snow shoes. i would imagine there are a few pairs out there on this board. i only say canadians as i am sure you ahve some snow, not sure about other countries

i would like to know-the type of snow shoes you use and the type of snow you use them in, their quality, price, brands and what you would reccomend as an allrounded snow shoe.

am buying hubby snow shoes for Birthday as he loves hiking in the snow, and rough terrain, last year they took skis and had a very hard time in snow up to their waists, they really need snow shoes.(i will never go, will not walk in cold)

the snow we have is often powdery, and not too deep in areas they walk.

i have suggested aussie made 'yowies' but he says aussies dont make good snow shoes as it is not really a familair climate, he says US and canadian are good types. (i suggested tennis rackets, they did not find it amusing)

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and add to his safety, thanks guys
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
banned user

While I am in Canada I have the same weather as Detroit, MI does ... no snow here, never needed snow shoes.
Should be a few Canadians along to help though.
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
<-----nut ball

I'm sorry to say, but I only have old fashioned snow shoes, none of the new type ones. kinda like the ones in this pic, but they are metal but still in the old shape:

I do know the best place to buy them in Canada though, and I'm pretty sure you can order online.

www.MEC.ca (mountain equipment co-op).

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1114904209743
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks mate. but dotn get me wrong, i know canada is not covered in snow and you dont live in igloos , but i know you have good snow and a fair bit of it in some areas, they are alway promoting skiing in canada here thanks again
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I am happy to report I have never owned a pair of snowshoes in my life, lol (Nor do I ever intend to). It is not much of a sport where I live - even if we do get quite a bit of snow in the winter. Now, my parents used to snowshoe when they were younger but it has pretty much gone out of fashion. Most people who like snow engage in skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling. Snowshowing is seen as passé, at least here anyway.
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

its not really a sport here either, i only heard of snowshoeing in my research this week into the shoes, but it seems a strange pursuit. no its not for sporting reasons, its for safety and make the walk easier.

the poor bugger, last time they went on a hike in snow they never got past their 3rd camp by the 5th day, the going was very slow and hard due to the usless skis they had on, he said other walkers they saw had shoes. so shoes it is, jsut so they can enjoy it better, i personally think their as mad as cut snakes for doing it but each to their own i suppose, you would never find me carryin a 30kg pack on my back in the snow for 100km, i certinaly will in dry terrain but no way hossee in snow, i would just whinge all the way, they always want to take me but bugger that, no way.

raingirl do you use them much? they are really cute, thanks for that link, they have great stuff at a good price.

so back tothe research, i think i will get ski poles as well, i read it is reccomended, any suggestions? oh he is 6ft 4in tall so im assuming i need taller poles right
thanks guys