Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Question Dog eating cat Food & stalking Cat

I am looking for some advice on our newly adopted shelter puppy - we
already had a cat that was used to dogs ( our other dog died last fall ) The puppy is of course eating the cat's food, and literally stalking her. The pup's name is Abbey - mixed Shep/Collie maybe . She won't leave the cat alone without biting and trying to "play" with her. I know she's only playing but I'm worried about her hurting the cat. The poor cat's food is now kept on the table, which is grossing me out, but if I leave it down on the floor, Abbey sucks it back. I tried keeping food and water in the basement for the cat, but the cat (Ginger, also a stray rescue) can't make it to the basement without the stalker after her .

Any advice on getting Abbey to leave Ginger and her food alone. Abbey is about 6 months old, we've had her about 1 month. Ginger is about 7 years old, we've had her about 5 years now. I don't want Ginger to pack her bags and run away
thinking she's been invaded
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

You must make the puppy stop stalking and harassing the cat. This could take awhile, and some training. Your dog needs to learn the "Leave it" command.

Put the puppy on a leash. Every time she lunges for the cat, say "LEAVE IT" and give her a little correction, just enough to get her attention. The second she turns to look at you, PRAISE like nuts and even give a treat or a favorite toy. Give these special treats and toys ONLY when she leaves the cat alone.

The goal is to make her understand that chasing the cat gets her a correction, and ignoring the cat gets her praise, toys/treats.

If you can't watch the dog, gate her in a room or crate her. This kind of stress on a cat can cause litterbox problems, or other undesirable behaviors.

The only way to keep the dog from eating the cat food is to keep the cat food out of reach. The high protein content in cat food makes it irresistable to dogs!
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Keep the cat food out of Abbeys reach...cat food is the ultimate treat for most dogs...

Uhm, watch the litter pan also. "Litter fritters" are the second ultimate treat for dogs that love cat food.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Abbey the Stalker

Thanks Lucky,
I have been keeping Abbey on a leash and do stop her and praise her every time
she does stop. Strangely the cat stills loves Abbey, when she's in her crate at nighttime , Ginger goes up and rubs against the bars. She really misses our other dog ( who wasn't that affectionate with her), and I guess she's hoping that theres a chance she'll find true love this time . I guess I''ll have to keep the food away for now, just remember to take the cat dish off the table when company comes, eh? So you're basically saying I should just keep correcting her every time and hopefully it will sink into to her very thick but lovable head eventually?
I don't leave them alone together, Abbey goes into crate if I go out, but I just
don't the cat hurt either physically or emotionally. Plus I guess it comes down to
Abbey listening when I tell her to stop doing something right?
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:43 PM

Litter Fritters

Love the name Karin - Litter Fritters

Luckily the litter is kept in the basement which is off limits for now for Abbey,
we Canadians are so lucky to have basements, aren't we folks.
The first week we had Abbey she found the litter box and I found out how
desirable those Litter Fritters were. Our other dog loved to eat the cat's food,
we always thought he did hoping if he ate her food maybe she'd move away , but he never bothered with her litter box. Or maybe he did and I didn't notice
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:06 PM
banned user

Cat food is high in fat...it's not really a big deal other then your pup might start purring ... kidding lol!
What type of Collie is it? Border? If it's border it might be trying to herd the cat. Mine does this GRRRRR! Like like the OK Corral some days!
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:14 PM

We haven't a clue what kind of collie
Based on her size, she's about 35 lbs @ 6 months, would you say border collie,
or regular collie?
Who knows, she mostly looks shep but has a soft fluffy coat and floppy ears,
quite cute.
Maybe you're right and she's just doing her job - herding, I'll explain it to Ginger the cat and I'm sure everything will fine then LOL
Poor Ginger, our other dog just basically ignored her when she adored him and now she's got more attention from a dog then she knows what to do with
Kinda reminds me of Pepe Lephew from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons

Hopefully true love will work out.
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM

You know the craziest part, my 14 year old daughter has suggested that we should get a kitten soon, like she has been blind to the 3 ring circus between Abbey and Ginger.
A new kitten will really mellow things out right? DUH

Ah, to be 14 and know everything again, I can only wish.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Keep the cat food out of Abbeys reach...cat food is the ultimate treat for most dogs...

Uhm, watch the litter pan also. "Litter fritters" are the second ultimate treat for dogs that love cat food.

Hum... yup litter fritters... I've given up - Rose (my rotti) can have um.... between those and the road apples (I have horses too)... I'm wondering if I need to feed her?? Joking!
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Hum... yup litter fritters... I've given up - Rose (my rotti) can have um.... between those and the road apples (I have horses too)... I'm wondering if I need to feed her?? Joking!
Kiss her much? ROTFLMSAO!

It's a yuck kinda thang! Sorry, southernese again. Ciara has anal gland issue's and although I love on her a bunch I do draw the line....she does love litter fritters as if they are take-out fast food.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Litter fritters are cute. We call them doggie chocolate bars!! I can't believe how they dig right into them, and then yeah come over and want to lick you. I don't think so!! lol
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog dived into the "Kitty Tootsie Rolls" (in the winter, they are Poopsicles) at every opportunity, but I think I found the cure.

This grossed me out so much that every time I caught her, I dragged her out to the kitchen and brushed her teeth - to her, this is VERY cruel and unusual punishment.
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Oooh! That is good advice!! Abbey and Dixie really hate having their teeth brushed!! But I have noticed its the Rottie that eats the bars and not the Shihtzu. Is it a big dog thing? Does anyone know?
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Kiss her much? ROTFLMSAO!
not on purpose...LOL... the worst is the drolling mess she becomes after drinking from the "porcelin water bowl"...LOL Why is that more appealing than the nice clean dish? And it really sucks where they fiqure out how to lift the seat I gave up there too... she can have at it! - Yes i know my dog has me wrapped around her paw
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chany
Oooh! That is good advice!! Abbey and Dixie really hate having their teeth brushed!! But I have noticed its the Rottie that eats the bars and not the Shihtzu. Is it a big dog thing? Does anyone know?
Don't know about the litter treats... as I've only had big dogs... but I've seen quite a few Jack Russel Terriers pig out on road apples... and my father had a fox that lived in the back yard that would hang around the back end of the horses in winter waiting for his hot lunch (ewwwww ) So I think it's just a canine thing.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Question Dogs is eating my cat's food

My dog has started to eat my cat's food. I have heard that cat food is not good for dogs. But I haven't been able to find any information regarding this. Can you tell me if this true?
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Cat food is not bad for dogs. I certainly wouldn't let them have it every day in place of their own food, for a couple reasons. The price! How much you would have to actually feed them etc.? My dogs have certainly got into my cats food before! I do put cat food in their treat balls sometimes for treats!

Now kitty litter and the treats in there.... Thats a WHOLE nother story!

Heather
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Most dogs find cat food irrisistable because of the very high protein content - the same reason they also eat "Kitty Tootsie Rolls" from the litter box!

The only way to keep your dog from eating it is to keep it out of reach.

A steady diet of cat food would not be good for a dog, but eating it occasionally may merely cause loose stools.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Most dogs find cat food irrisistable because of the very high protein content - the same reason they also eat "Kitty Tootsie Rolls" from the litter box!

The only way to keep your dog from eating it is to keep it out of reach.

A steady diet of cat food would not be good for a dog, but eating it occasionally may merely cause loose stools.
The weight gain from eating cat food is harmful also. Different species, different diet.