Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM

10 year Old Dalmation pooping on her bed!

I have a rescue Dalmation now for 8 years. For the past 4 months she has started pooping on her bed doesn't bother to get up. I first thought it was I not letting her out in time, but I have let her out, she squats to pee, will come in and then 20 minutes later I see her pooping on her bed! I have also seen her walking and pooping on the deck. She has never had these behaviors before and has been the best dog I have ever owned. I took her to the vet and he gave me some pills that didn't help. Is this behavior normal in older Dalmations? She will even poop next to her food bowl where her bed is located. I'm at a loss what to do or if this behavior can be fixed. She's very active when she is outside, but runs right into the house and to her bed.

Last edited by brzenkdal; October 7th, 2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old October 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple of questions:
What was the name of the medication?
The consistency of her poo?
Was she tested for parasites?
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Did the vet mention anything about neurological issues being the possible cause?
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM

OMG this sounds sooo much like my dalmatian, Molly, who has passed on. She started to lose control of her bowels at about 9. She seemed to not know that she was having a bowel movement. She would also walk along and poop, but not even be aware of it and then she started to lose control while she slept (on the couch). It seemed like she would relax so much that it just slipped out. Gross, I know!!! The vet never really figured out her problem and we just lived with it and constantly checked her and did loads of laundry (couch covers). The day she passed away, I dragged the couch out to the garbage.

I have no advice other than to see a vet but I do know what you're going through.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM

I'll have to find the pill container. He poo is normal. The vet checked if I remember right when I took her to the vet. He stuck his finger up there and took a sample and it was ok.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM

I just thought it was strange that she would poop and still lay next to it or on top of it. I always thought dogs hated to be around their own poop.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:17 PM

The only thing he said was that the next step would be exploratory type surgery. I don't want to spend a $1,000.00 or more to have him say there is nothing he can do.
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

isn't surgery abit extreme, wouldn't you take x-rays first,blood, etc....
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

This sounds soooo much like Roxy

The nerve endings in her backend were going (from age started when she was 9) She had been ultra senitive when you went near her rear.

They completely went about a year ago. & she had no clue what was happening. & also would lie near/next to it. More of a I dont really care but it didnt come out of me look on her face.

I would get that checked
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
isn't surgery abit extreme,
I agree with aslan.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

We had a GSD when I was growing up that did the same thing. It started when she was about 13 years old. She lost all control over her bowels - but if she saw that she had pooped, she was always so embarrassed. I tried to clean it up before she would see it because I knew she couldn't help it. Soon after that, she totally lost the use of her back legs. She lived with her back end paralyzed til she was 16 when my mom finally let her go to the bridge. (RIP Bunny).
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM

The vet said she was ok with the parasites.
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzenkdal View Post
The vet said she was ok with the parasites.
You mean she doesn't have them ? Is she still having the same issues ?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM

my dalmatian is 13 same stuff

HI my girl is 13 yes she will poop on the cuch and bed walking across the floor. she normaly lets me know when she has to pee but she dose not make it all the time. I was told a dalmatian life was 7-10 years 13 was pushing it. she is having probloms with her legs she falls alot. but it dose not stop her from trying to kill the cats if hey get close to her food. I do think its time to put her to rest but my husband can't let go. I have to help her down the stair shes looking ruff.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomommyshell View Post
I do think its time to put her to rest but my husband can't let go. I have to help her down the stair shes looking ruff.
First of all , your dog needs a vet visit ASAP !!! and please please , tell your husband that your dog may be in a lot of pain (dogs are very pain tolerant and will NOT show you) if your husband loves his dog , he should think about HER well being before his.

again , please take her to a vet , even if it is to have her euthanised , don't let this suffering go on. :sad:

Tags
bed, dalmation, pooping