Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Wellness Not Agreeing w/ Minnie?

Hello friends,
For about 2 weeks now, we have noticed Minnie leaving behind stinky spots on our bed. At first we thought maybe she had some "dirt" on her after being in her litter box, but I would check her behind and there would be nothing there and nothing left on our blankets except for this horrible smell It just so happens that everytime this happened, it would be in the evening/night time so we never noticed spots. It wasn't until this past weekend that it happened again, I looked down, and there were wattery, brown spots along with the stink ..but nothing on her behind.
Minnie gets half a can of wet food (Wellness) every evening and she has her dry food (Felidae) all throughout the day. It is my best guess that maybe the wet food isn't doing well in her tummy..as it seems to be "leaking out" of her rearend! We have been feeding her this way ever since we've had her (4 months) and this has never happened before. So, I have stopped giving her the wetfood. It's been 2 days now and she's hating me right now :sad: Any suggestions on what to do? Should I cut back on the amount I give her? Should I stop with the wet food all together? I just can't imagine her going for the rest of her life with only kibble!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

take her in to the vet to be sure it's not an anal gland issue first.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
take her in to the vet to be sure it's not an anal gland issue first.
I agree. Perhaps her anal gland needs to be emptied.
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
-

I would take her to the vet too. I can't see how the food is causing this. Good luck and let us know the results.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Oh wow. I didn't realize that cats needed their anal glands emptied too. I'll take her ASAP. Thanks ladies!

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
~Cat Servent~

Two things...
First, Windy also had a lot of digestion issues while on Wellness, terrible gas and runny poop stuck to her behind all the time. So it may be the food.

Second, how can you tell if an anal gland on a cat needs to be expressed or whatever.

Oh and sorry thirdly on the wet brown spots issue, Palomine recently started to sort of 'spray' me when he gets excited after wrestling or playing or chasing my hand under the sheets. I caught a glimpse of what he may be doing and it looks like it is coming out of his butt.... smells like it too . He makes the motion like he would to mark me if he wasnt fixed, then it looks like a little squirt of liquid poop comes out of his butt.

Totally grosses me out, and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen that. Sound a lot like what yours may be doing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by: krdahmer
Quote:
Two things...
First, Windy also had a lot of digestion issues while on Wellness, terrible gas and runny poop stuck to her behind all the time. So it may be the food.

Second, how can you tell if an anal gland on a cat needs to be expressed or whatever.

Oh and sorry thirdly on the wet brown spots issue, Palomine recently started to sort of 'spray' me when he gets excited after wrestling or playing or chasing my hand under the sheets. I caught a glimpse of what he may be doing and it looks like it is coming out of his butt.... smells like it too . He makes the motion like he would to mark me if he wasnt fixed, then it looks like a little squirt of liquid poop comes out of his butt.

Totally grosses me out, and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen that. Sound a lot like what yours may be doing.
Wow. That totally sucks for you! Thank goodness Minnie isn't spraying liquid poop It happens when she's sitting on the bed. There isn't any playing or any excitement. It's just kind of left there after she gets up and walks away. It sucks because we either can't allow her on the bed or we have to have a towel close by and try to make her lay on it :sad:
I'm going to call the vet today and ask her what she thinks. I'll give an update as soon as I hear something.
Thanks!
~M~

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Any news? I hope she's ok.