Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Kitty not eating

I have a 4.5 year old female spayed kitty named Amelia (Meesa ) About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that she hadn't eaten anything for almost 3 days! I took her to the vet, and a blood panel was done. All of her values were normal, save one liver value. I suspect that single liver value was elevated as a result of her not eating. Her temperature was normal, her heart rate is fine, and breath sounds normal. We were given A/D and sent home. The vet told us to feed her about one can per day, in small increments.

However, she was eating almost nothing (she'd lick the food for about 20 seconds or so, and ignore the rest). We took her back to the vet, and more blood was drawn. Again, her values were normal, this time with the exception of one renal value. Her urine ketone and glucose levels are normal. We were given k/d, and a bolus of subcu fluids. After about 6 days of giving her 100 cc of subcu fluids per day, she has shown more interest in eating the k/d, and her energy level has increased.

Although she is eating more (about 1/2 can per day), she is still not eating nearly as much as she was before she became ill, and she is not drinking very much at all (possibly because of the fluids?).

I'm begging anyone for any advice. My vet can't seem to understand what Meesa's problem is, and my wife and I are desperate for help. She's still very young, and has never been outside of our house, except for vet visits.
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear this! I"m no vet, but know when cats stop eating,(anorexia) it's often very difficult to get them started again.

Your kitty IS eating on her own so that is a good sign! I can only tell you the kinds of things I have done to get cats to eat.

Different varieties of food sometimes help, although it can make cats fussy in the long run. Cats often show a lot of interest in new food.

Pour some juice from a can of water packed tuna unto her food, OR buy a piece of tuna and boil it, using the water. You can also give the tuna water in the water bowl and see if she will drink it.

One other thing that works, (due to cat psychology) is to feed her only one teaspoon at a time. For many cats, including one 18 year old I had, this stimulates them to eat more than a whole bowl of food will. Put the teaspoon of food in her bowl and walk away. Hopefully she will eat it and look for more. Repeat.

Good luck with your kitty. Let us know how she does!
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:00 PM

Thank you so much for the response! My wife and I are first time pet owners. We rescued her when she was only 6 months old (about 4 years ago), nursed her back to health, and loved her as best as we could, so it's quite distressing to fathom the possibility of her being in pain or discomfort. She and my dog are my two "daughters".

I've given her tuna juice in the past when she was feeling more "normal", and she loved it, but I've not tried it since she's been ill. I think I'll see if she shows any interest in it tonight.

My wife is taking her back to the vet on Wednesday to see if her liver and kidney values are back to normal since she's slowly recovered her appetite.

I'll certainly keep you all informed.

Thanks again!
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I do hope that your kitty will be alright. Best of luck