Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Bichon Frise chewing at feet

Hello, we just received a 4 yr old bichon frise from a lady that rescues animals. He has been chewing at his feet. He's been doing this for as long as the lady before us has had him. She changed his diet, thinking that is may be allergies, but he is still do it. His feet and mouth area are all discolored and not nice looking. Any one have any other ideas as to what it might be or ideas on what we can try to try and stop him from doing this. Thanks in advance for any replies!!
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
-

What is he eating now? What's in the treats that you give him?

Are you putting creams of any kind on his feet? Do you use shappoo/ conditioner/ de-tanglers on a regular basis? Are you using boots or a salve of some kind when he goes out? Does he have any funny habits (like licking the floor or furnture?)

Skin problems? Ear issues?
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM

We actually just got him yetsterday. The lady that gave him to us changed his food to a no grain food, but she had done that about 1 month ago and it didn't seem to change anything. As far as treats, I am not sure what she was giving him. No use of creams, booties or anything like that. And no other weird habits, just the chewing of the feet.
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
-

A no-grain food can be helpful, but, sometimes the source of allergies (which can manifest itself by paw licking/ chewing) is the protein or other additives in the food/ treats.
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM

The food he is on is called EVO. It is a no grain based food. It is low carb but hi in protein so maybe that could be part of the cause. Do you have any other suggestions of easy to get dog food. (we live in a small town and it is hard to get to the cities to get anything). We have another dog, which is a poodle/terrior, she eats purina one and does fine on that. Do you think slowly switching the bichon to that may help at all??
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
-

When you say EVO ~ the dry Small Bites (chicken/ turkey based) or the red meat based kibble?

And no, I would not switch him to Purina. I'm not a fan of their products.
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM

You know what, I'm not even 100% sure. She just gave me a grocery bag full and gave me the name. They are little tiny red/brownish pieces. They smell like fish as well. I guess I may have to email her and find out more about it.
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Congratulations on your new addition!

Poor little pooch is obviously in discomfort. Both of my dogs are rescues and both have seasonal allergies. First things first...I gave them Benedryl(on vet's advice) and had them groomed.

His immune system might just be totally out of whack right now with the changes in food and changes in living arrangements. You could always try a bland diet (boiled rice/boiled beef or chicken) for a week or so just to clean his system and then try the new food. Grain free is probably a good choice if it is a food allergy but you would like to have a single protein. See how he does on that.

Any pics you would like to post would be appreciated also

Good luck!
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:09 PM
-

Food allergies can manifest themselves with paw chewing/licking.

If he's eating the small-bites it may be a poultry problem.

If he were my pup, I would start him off on a single protein diet with no grains. And that includes treats. I'm a "raw diet with bones" fan but, I realize it's not for everyone or for all dogs.

Have you been to our food forum ? If not, do go. You will learn alot about food allergies and food in general. Sometimes, we have to try and then eliminate one protein and grain at a time to find something that our dogs can eat.
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the help. I will see about getting him into the vet this week, and try something different with his diet. Again, thanks.... here is a picture of him.
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh so sweet Such a pensive look.

What is his name?

Please keep us posted...hopefully you will find a simple resolution soon and he will begin to feel right at home
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Since you are in Alberta - can you get Orijen? It is made in Alberta and is grain-free. They have a fish formula so maybe trying that would help you to figure out if the chicken or beef is a problem in the EVO?
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Thanks again, and his name is Frodo. Not too sure yet on the name, but seeings how he is 4yrs old, I guess we will keep it!!! lol
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive3322 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will see about getting him into the vet this week, and try something different with his diet. Again, thanks.... here is a picture of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive3322 View Post
Thanks again, and his name is Frodo. Not too sure yet on the name, but seeings how he is 4yrs old, I guess we will keep it!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
Since you are in Alberta - can you get Orijen? It is made in Alberta and is grain-free. They have a fish formula so maybe trying that would help you to figure out if the chicken or beef is a problem in the EVO?

He is a cutie and I love his name.

I would also suggest Orijen .....the 6 Fish formula would be the one to try.

Or else either the Pacifica or Grasslands formulas of the Acana line also made by Champion Pet Foods.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Investigative researcher

I would also suggest Orijen--and it takes 3 or 4 months for their systems to cleanse from the old diet. Orijen is available in almost every small town in Alberta--just not in usual places. In Viking, it is in the drug store. In Hardisty, it is in the rental place, etc. Likely it is not far from you, start asking around. The fur is discolored from his saliva, if you can get his problem cleared up, it will grow in white again.
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Make sure there is no corn products in his food, I Knowwwww its really hard to find. but it cured my dog of constant itching and paw licking and the caramel in food can cause the discoloration. I must admit though he still liked to clean his paws on a more than regular basis, some times its just what they like to do.