Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM

Red face How do i encourage my cats to pooh outside?

Hi there
I have 3 cats who are confined to my garden using the purrfect fence system. This is great as it means they are safe from other animals and from other people who might steal them (two of them are pedigree ocicats and quite striking)! i did have 3 litter trays indoors but am now down to two. they use a pile of leaves at the end of the garden occasionally, which i change every so often. However, im running out of leaves til next autumn and wonder what i can put down there to encourage them to use it. i was thinking about a dog kennel with a litter tray inside but really id rather the wee just got soaked into the ground then i can just "do the poohs". has anyone else got an outside pooh area? i was thinking of maybe compost, would i put anything in it? ordinary cat litter would be no good coz if it rained it would just disintegrate. Any ideas would be appreciated!!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cats like to dig in anything soft. We put piles of sand under our deck for Puddles, it stays soft and drains well too.

Jasper he doesn't care if it is leaves, dirt or sand.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy1808 View Post
(two of them are pedigree ocicats and quite striking)!
I think I need a little proof of how striking they are by you posting some pictures . The more the better!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:32 AM

I would try sand. The cats will see it the same way as kitty litter. Just dump a pile of sand in the corner where you want them to go.the pee will just soak into the ground, and the sand will dry again, just like at the beach. If it rains, you may need to use more sand or fluff the pil up a little bit.

There are also biodegradable litters out there, but they would probably still make a clay mess in the rain.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I like the idea of a shelter. I wouldn't use compost (too precious!) or soil, unless you want them to track it into the house; regular litter or maybe ripped-up newspapers would be better.
Good luck getting them to wee in one place and poo in another!
If you've got pictures, we'd love to see them.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM

I also agree with the sand idea ...my brother-in-law made a sand box for my nephew using regular dirt and boy did the cat love that!!!! They had to empty, clean and then resand...and then cover! We also have dirt under our back porch which we discovered our own cat using as a cat box ...until we blocked it off.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM

id love to put a pic up of my boys but it wont let me any ideas???! and ive tried adding a profile picture but its not working today.

thanks for the tips.... it seems like sand is the way forward.i shall get some childrens play sand this weekend and dig a suitable sized area behind the yew tree... heres hoping. meanwhile ill try to get a pic up somewhere !! thanks for the support. oh, and a couple of years ago i asked about introducing my other ginger cat to my black boy. unfortunately in april 07 he died in a tragic accident. i was heartbroken (still cant relay the story without crying).. but my boyfriend bought be my two new boys. it will take a couple of years before they have won my heart as much as oscar did but they are helping fill the void... xxx
Attached Images

Last edited by mandy1808; February 22nd, 2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: adding a pic...
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM

yeah! i figured it out....

another pic of Dylan (on the right) and Socks - left.
Attached Images

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Those are absolutely beautiful babies you have there!!!! Would love to see pics of the other one as well.
Sorry about the lose of your kitty. I know how that feels. sweetie.
As for the method of pooing........ sand works very well for me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Getting defensive

No potty advice - but those are GORGEOUS cats !

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

If you can get your hands on regular old sand I wouldn't invest in the kids sand. Regular sand will work great. (Town shed? That's where we get our sand to sand the driveway during the icy times, it's free, all you need is a bucket or the bed of a pick-up.)

Oh and OH MY GOODNESS...I am in love with your kitties!!! What beautiful markings!
I must say I am a little jealous of your gorgeous babies
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
-

OMG....Dylan and Socks are absolutely gorgeous.

I really love the second pic of them cuddling.....it needs to be framed.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Those cats are beautiful! Never seen anything like them before.

Diane
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Stunning kitties. The softer the ground the more inclined your cats will be to using it. You could try placing some kitty litter on top of the ground you want your cats to use to give them some encouragement.
I trust it's in your garden you want the kitties to use the great outdoors.....if they have access to other peoples gardens, just to be a good neighbour, I wouldn't encourage them to go potty outside.

Cindy
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM

Very beautiful cats! The second pic is definitely one of the cutest pic's I have ever seen.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:31 AM

Thanks for your help!

Well last weekend i went out and got some sand, got some edging bricks, and dug out a 4x3 feet area about 3 inches deep. ive edged it with these bricks and then filled it with three bags of sand. (its deeper than 3 inches coz of the bricks)... anyway.. one week later and i have now reduced the inside litter trays to ONE as the past three mornings i have found NO POOHS! so im going to see how it fares when it rains..

must admit ive been using baby chick feed from the agricultural wholesalers (goes under the brand of "worlds best cat litter" but is only a fifth of the price.. same stuff!).. and though it is good for litter it tracks everywhere!

This is much nicer for when i go on holidays as whoever cat sits doesnt have so much of a job to do. RESULT!

Thanks for the comments on my boys. beautiful arent they.. and very loving YAY! ive attached a pic of Rogue (the black one) draped over the sofa with a pic of my late beautiful ginger boy Oscar who died tragically almost a year ago.

Thanks all....
Attached Images

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM

i love the pics of all the cats
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
cat slave

omg!! your cats are BEAUTIFUL!!

i as thinking ..."really...she has issues with her cats not wanting to dig in dirt to poo ???" then i saw the pictures and i though " AHA!! of course they don't want to poo outside...wouldn't want those lovely paws getting dirty". So...my opinion is that your cats think tehy're just too good for outside potty POSH CATS!!

Last edited by jiorji; March 3rd, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: had to add posh cats hahah
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
-

Same as the others : omg your cats are beauties ! feel free to post more pictures
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh your kitties are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Glad your sand is working, cats just love it to dig in.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what stunningly beautiful cats,a real treat to see them,thank you!
I have never seen Ocicats before,the closest to anything like them was my neighbors $3.000 Bengal kitty.
Rouge is very pretty too,as was your Oscar,very sorry for your loss:sad:
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM

My boys

Bengal for $3000!! goodness. they are about $700-$800 in the UK. but they dont like other cats apparently. there are some rescue bengals - usually having difficulty mixing with others. you dont get rescue ocicats.. coz tehy are too soft! Dylan is constantly trying to stretch out on his back and inch a bit closer to rogue....who just growls at him and swipes him. or he nudges up to him.. or gets just tooo in his face. bless!
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would you want a cat to go outside where it is dangerous? Goodness!! I don't understand this thought at all - my cats stay inside where it is safe tho they do go out on a leash and in a pet carrier (like a pet stroller) tho they are not keen on the winter months and I can't say I blame them, lol

Pls don't allow them to become outdoor kitties. The lifespan of a cat who goes outside is much much less than one who lives inside. Read this and you will see what I mean:

http://www.siameserescue.org/educate/educate1.php

Thax for listening! I am sure you love your cat and this may just be something you have not thought about.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM
cat slave

LOL ck...did you even read the post. She just wants them to POO outside. she also said...
Quote:
I have 3 cats who are confined to my garden using the purrfect fence system.
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM

My cat is going to be 14 in August...she is and always has been an indoor/outdoor cat. She has her claws and is very happy and healthy. I don't know why I felt the need to tell you all this as I am sure people will have their own opinions. I understand wanting to keep your cats in to keep them safe but they have animal instincts and know how to survive in the wild. I am certainly not trying to start a conflict or arguement this is just my opinion.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

i think your babies are just beautiful!!!!! id be wanting to keep them indoors, i had a calico for almost 19 yrs, broke my heart when i lost her, your kitties are drop dead beautiful!!!!! brenda and the pins
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I love the idea of a kitty fence or something like it so that cats can get the FEEL of outdoors without the danger. My stepfather made a big chicken-wire enclosure out one of the windows. All you had to do was open the window and the cats could go into the chicken-wire box - they LOVED it. Some of them would plant themselves in there in the morning and only come in if it started to rain!
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Dont Worry!!

attached is a pic of my fencing system. they are safe and secure. unless they hang upside down and are a bit like houdini they wont get out... and when the beech hedges grow back through you will hardly see it. the fencing also lays inside at the bottom by about 12 inches and is kept down with deep tent pegs. theres no way there getting out of that! all im missing are the lookout towers and the seach lights LOL...
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM

wow, your cats are gorgeous. the fence looks like it will keep them nice and safe (from cat thieves too.)
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,that's a great fencing system,we have an 8 foot wooden fence and hedges and wirefence on one part.
My cats could get out if they wanted too,but we are outside with them,to make sure they don't.