Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Anti-social

We have two labs: Bree (7 years) and Ceili (4 years); We've had Bree since she was a puppy and Ceili was adopted two years ago. Bree was never a cuddly dog but would spend time with us. My husband jokes that before Ceili arrived, Bree probably didn't realize she was a dog. Ceili on the other hand is an attention seeker and cuddler.

The two dogs have accepted each other and get along well enough. In the last few months though, Bree has started leaving whatever room we are in, to go to another room. As I indicated, she was never a big attention suck, but she seems to be going out of her way to spend time on her own.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
border collie mama

i havent experienced this, but you might ewant to try umbilical with her. Put the leash aorund your waist and attach it to her collar. By doing this she has to follow you everywheres you go, which makes you more of a leader in her eyes.
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM

I had a lab who was some what similar. He was 9 when get got a new pup. They were great together. When you were giving attention to the lab and the pup which was now grown would come over and fight for the attention the lab would just leave the room and go off by himself. He would sit in the dinning room right next to our living room when we were in the living room. This did not happen all the time but a fair amount of the time. He would some times be around the whole family including other dog. If he wanted attention and the other dog would cut in he would leave again. Never seemed mad just showing a little who cares attitude. If we felt he shoudl be around we would call him back and make sure 1 person gave attention to one dog and one to the lab. I never made a big deal of it neither did the lab. If he wants attention he will come and push his way in. The 2 dogs were great friends and played together daily, just the lab became less of an attention seeker then before. I found my lab to be not very needed. He seemed to stay around because he felt he had to keep us company and when the other dog was doing the job he could go and have his own time. This became more and more as he aged.

Sorry a little long winded.
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
i havent experienced this, but you might ewant to try umbilical with her. Put the leash aorund your waist and attach it to her collar. By doing this she has to follow you everywheres you go, which makes you more of a leader in her eyes.
I would not feel the need to do that with a dog who simply likes to spend time on their own... Assuming there is not behavioural/training problems, I see nothing wrong with a dog who likes their own space.

Our previous dog was like that due to a rough beginning (from a puppy mill - little socialization and some abuse before she came to us)... It was just part of who she was - she was always in her part of the house unless it was meal time, biscuit time or walk time. She liked peace and quiet and as soon as anyone came into the bedroom she was in, she'd quietly leave and sleep elsewhere.

To a certain extent, Dodger is also like that as well. He can be extremely aloof - it has nothing to do with leadership. Its his personality. Nothing wrong with a dog expressing their personality IMO.

While its not usually a lab quality, I wouldn't be worried unless there are other issues. There is no need to force her to stay in a room with you IMO.
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM

My girl Marz tended to like to go off and lie by herself. It took me awhile to accept this as just part of her personality, and not that she felt outed or didn't have a connection to me. It was a real change as Venus was attatched at my left hip forever so for the longest time I always worried about Marz. She was very affectionate and loving, but she did like some quiet time by herself.