Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM

My cat gets brutally beat up

hello everyone,

before i start off i'd just like to announce that i am new here and i am very happy that i came accross such an informative forum.

anyhow, my cat (sew sew steve) is about 8-9 months old. its a male that i picked up off of the street when it was about maybe 1-1/2 a month old.
when i found him he was barely able to turn his head let alone open his eyes. he was almost bald on most of his body, and well... it was pretty sad. ofcourse, now its a complete 180 degree difference. he's looks amazing and healthy, not to mention a little on the heavy side :P.

anyhow, he loves going outside but i dont let him, which is mainly because i havent taken him to vet yet, and im afraid he'd come in contact with a disease be it through fighting, garbage, w.e.

anyhow, i let him outside a few times because he was standing at the door growling and meoing at me to open the door. so i do, and well basically he got his behind handed to him.

thing is, he has scars now, all of his nipples were bitten im guessing because they all looked hurt. all over his back he's got little scratches which have left dry blood. his hair has fallen out in every place that he has been wounded (I.E. the scars on his head and back.)

prior to this, my brother had let him out before only to find him comming back home with a limp and blood on his head.

im just wondering, why were the nipples bitten?

i understand the scratches, the blood, aswell as the limping. they all come hand in hand with cat fights (pretty bad cat fights that is.)

but im just wondering, why was it that his nipples were bitten? is it a type of dominance? cat bullying? i cant phathom it.

anyhow, thanks in advanced!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As you've discovered, letting your cat out is a dangerous thing to do. He needs to be kept indoors.

And now that he's hurt, a vet visit is an absolute must.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM

I have no idea....however, I am really hoping that you have taken your cat to the Vets to be checked out.

PLEASE get to the Vet.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM

oh yes, ofcourse i'm going to take him to the vet.

but in the meantime, i was hoping someone could answer my question.

but one more thing,

why does he insist on confronting the other cats knowing how he's been beaten before? i understand its dominance, but is this normal behaviour?

whenever there's another cat near our house he goes crazy.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew-sew-steve View Post
anyhow, he loves going outside but i dont let him, which is mainly because i havent taken him to vet yet, and im afraid he'd come in contact with a disease be it through fighting, garbage, w.e.

anyhow, i let him outside a few times because he was standing at the door growling and meoing at me to open the door. so i do, and well basically he got his behind handed to him.

thing is, he has scars now, all of his nipples were bitten im guessing because they all looked hurt. all over his back he's got little scratches which have left dry blood. his hair has fallen out in every place that he has been wounded (I.E. the scars on his head and back.)

prior to this, my brother had let him out before only to find him comming back home with a limp and blood on his head.

i understand the scratches, the blood, aswell as the limping. they all come hand in hand with cat fights (pretty bad cat fights that is.)

but im just wondering, why was it that his nipples were bitten? is it a type of dominance? cat bullying? i cant phathom it.

Your cat could have been exposed to any number of viruses from YOU coming and going outside so I'm a little concerned that he's never seen a Vet. I'm also worried that he hasn't seen a Vet and has been bitten. How do you know he hasn't been exposed to something like FIV?

I have no idea why the nipple injuries but, frankly that wouldn't matter to me. What I'm having trouble understanding is that if you know your cat gets into fights why let him outside repeatedly?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm assuming he's not been neutered, either? Neutering would help to calm him down when there are other cats around outside. Something else to talk to your vet about when you go.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Your cat could have been exposed to any number of viruses from YOU coming and going outside so I'm a little concerned that he's never seen a Vet. I'm also worried that he hasn't seen a Vet and has been bitten. How do you know he hasn't been exposed to something like FIV?

I have no idea why the nipple injuries but, frankly that wouldn't matter to me. What I'm having trouble understanding is that if you know your cat gets into fights why let him outside repeatedly?
sorry, that was a typo. i ment that he would go to the door a few times growling, so i let him out once.

my brother let him out once. after we each seen what we seen we made a promise with ourselfs not to let him out.

the thing is, i've been telling my family members not to let him out. by my dear father always ends up accidently leaving the door open, and the cat runs out on his own. i've repeatedly had to take a walk around looking for him and bring him back inside.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm assuming he's not been neutered, either? Neutering would help to calm him down when there are other cats around outside. Something else to talk to your vet about when you go.
no i havent neutered him. i dont really plan to either, i know he would calm down in many ways. but i'd rather not.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Regardless, he now needs to be seen by a vet. Since he did come in contact with unvetted cats and was wounded by them, he needs to be seen as soon as you can get an appt.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Regardless, he now needs to be seen by a vet. Since he did come in contact with unvetted cats and was wounded by them, he needs to be seen as soon as you can get an appt.
yes thats the main goal i have. i've been planning to every month, but something always comes up. anyhow, the most thing i didnt want has happened (him getting injured by another cat.)

anyhow, i need some shuteye if im gonna go to work tomorrow.

thanks a lot for the replies. and if you have anything further to say, please do so!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
-

Quote:
no i havent neutered him. i dont really plan to either, i know he would calm down in many ways. but i'd rather not.
SSS ~ not sure why you'd rather not as you seem like a pretty intelligent and caring person. Please don't tell me it's a "guy thing".

Neutering your male means no risk of testicular cancer. A non-existent interest in mating means a reduced interest in roaming and a lesser likelihood of fighting with other toms over a female. The reduced aggression that comes with neutering also means less interest in fighting over territory. A neutered male also means he will be less likely to spray urine in the house and be more interested in grooming.

There are MANY reasons to neuter your cat. The 4 million cats and dogs who are euthanized in shelters each and every year in the United States alone is just one of them. To quote my friend Jim Hall, "if you want a no-kill community, you have to be a no-birth nation".
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM
-

SSS ~ I'm a little confused. In your post you mention that sew-sew-steve (interesting name btw) is approx 9 mths old but according to your profile he was born in January 20 years ago.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM

Neutering him would stop annoying things. Plus neutering is cheap! I would never have a male cat unless they're neutered, which both my guys are and they are awesome cats! Much more chilled and layed back. And they don't want to go outside
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:

anyhow, my cat (sew sew steve) is about 8-9 months old. its a male that i picked up off of the street when it was about maybe 1-1/2 a month old.
when i found him he was barely able to turn his head let alone open his eyes. he was almost bald on most of his body, and well... it was pretty sad. ofcourse, now its a complete 180 degree difference. he's looks amazing and healthy, not to mention a little on the heavy side :P.

If he was "barely able to turn his head let alone open his eyes" then he was not even that old. Maybe a week or so. Did you bottle feed for a while?

Unfortunately you do let him out as you state later on. Sounds like he is out on a regular basis.

I would assume seeing as his nipples look bitten that he has a pretty severe case of fleas. That is normally what flea bites make nipples look. BUT - we are not vets. He needs to see one desperately!

Quote:
oh yes, ofcourse i'm going to take him to the vet.

but in the meantime, i was hoping someone could answer my question.

Again, not vets. We can't answer your question for sure.

why does he insist on confronting the other cats knowing how he's been beaten before? i understand its dominance, but is this normal behaviour?

whenever there's another cat near our house he goes crazy.

Why does he insist? He insists because he is an unneutered male cat and that is what unneutered male cats do. They insist that they be the boss of all they survey. Yes, completely normal. Unfortunate but normal. And, may I add, a simple operation can stop it.

Quote:
If you can give me three good reasons why you are not planning on getting your male cat fixed I may go along with it. But you would have to make those reasons really really good. Please don't tell me it's a male ego thing. Is your cat a show cat? Is he a certain breed that is very desirable to people? Does he have certain qualities you think people would want in their cat? Are you ready to face the responsibility of having a large tom cat around that will spray, that will continue to fight, that will want to dominate every other cat in the area?
An unneutered male cat can impregnate every single unfixed female cat he comes across in a night. At this point you are probably saying Yeah!! Way to go Sew! Don't! Because in doing so he could also be passing on genetic abnormalities. He could also be picking up lots of wonderful diseases. Most will eventually kill him. At the same time he is fighting every other Tom for a chance at those females. That is why he is coming home injured. Did you know every bite he gets he is also getting the saliva of the cat that bit him? Did you know every scratch he gets has a chance of being severely infected? If not treated promptly then each and every bite can lead to his death as well.
I know you love your cat. I can tell by the way you speak about him. So please get him fixed. There are so so many reasons why that is a good idea. A lot of them have already been mentioned by other members. It's a simple straightforward operation. He recovers quickly. He will be so much more happy and content to stay at home and not roam.
Please do some research on the number of cats that are euthanized due to overpopulation alone. Please do the responsible thing and get SSS fixed. He will thank you. As would I.
Sorry this has turned into a lecture. Not intended to be. Oh he**! Yes it was. I just can't stop trying to educate.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; April 3rd, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Unless he is the biggest, baddest, strongest, smartest male cat in your area, without neutering, he is a dead cat.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
SSS ~ not sure why you'd rather not as you seem like a pretty intelligent and caring person. Please don't tell me it's a "guy thing".

Neutering your male means no risk of testicular cancer. A non-existent interest in mating means a reduced interest in roaming and a lesser likelihood of fighting with other toms over a female. The reduced aggression that comes with neutering also means less interest in fighting over territory. A neutered male also means he will be less likely to spray urine in the house and be more interested in grooming.

There are MANY reasons to neuter your cat. The 4 million cats and dogs who are euthanized in shelters each and every year in the United States alone is just one of them. To quote my friend Jim Hall, "if you want a no-kill community, you have to be a no-birth nation".
i was just warry about the whole thing, never really knew its pros or its cons (except for the obvious stuff.)

i do plan to get it neutered now after reading your post.

and to answer your question, i accidently put my age on here instead of his. thanks for pointing it out lol, its fixed now.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post

i judge his age by the size he was when i had him. i know newborns dont open their eyes right away, but this guy was dehydrated and starving. plus the heat in Kuwait is hard to handle for animals.
but to answer your question, we did bottle feed him for a while, got him baby food (for cats ofcourse) and put warm water in it so he could consume it.
i did some reading here and there. he would wool suck a lot even when he was full. he doesnt do it much now, because i push his head away, but he'd do it if he was hungry or w.e. dont worry though, his bowl is ALWAYS full.

also, i pointed out that the word "few" was a typo. i ment to say that i'd find him growling near the door a few times. i then let him out wanting to know what he was growling about. FYI he was the first cat in our neighbourhood. there isnt many cats, but quite recently they've been emerging. thats why i let him out in the first place, otherwise, i wouldnt let him out on any occasion, unless supervised. i give my family lots of grief for letting him out at any time, because i'm well aware that he could come accross disease's. i also dont want him in/near garbage. its just that my father sometimes forgets to close the door, or the cat sneaks out while hes opening the door. as soon as i know i go and make sure he comes back inside.

I would assume seeing as his nipples look bitten that he has a pretty severe case of fleas. That is normally what flea bites make nipples look. BUT - we are not vets. He needs to see one desperately!

i dont agree 100%, mainly because im sure i could see the flees, but i never seen flees before. and i've checked several times. but then again, maybe i cant see them. he does scratch under his jaw though.

Why does he insist? He insists because he is an unneutered male cat and that is what unneutered male cats do. They insist that they be the boss of all they survey. Yes, completely normal. Unfortunate but normal. And, may I add, a simple operation can stop it.

ok, so its the hormones.

If you can give me three good reasons why you are not planning on getting your male cat fixed I may go along with it. But you would have to make those reasons really really good. Please don't tell me it's a male ego thing. Is your cat a show cat? Is he a certain breed that is very desirable to people? Does he have certain qualities you think people would want in their cat? Are you ready to face the responsibility of having a large tom cat around that will spray, that will continue to fight, that will want to dominate every other cat in the area?
An unneutered male cat can impregnate every single unfixed female cat he comes across in a night. At this point you are probably saying Yeah!! Way to go Sew! Don't! Because in doing so he could also be passing on genetic abnormalities. He could also be picking up lots of wonderful diseases. Most will eventually kill him. At the same time he is fighting every other Tom for a chance at those females. That is why he is coming home injured. Did you know every bite he gets he is also getting the saliva of the cat that bit him? Did you know every scratch he gets has a chance of being severely infected? If not treated promptly then each and every bite can lead to his death as well.
I know you love your cat. I can tell by the way you speak about him. So please get him fixed. There are so so many reasons why that is a good idea. A lot of them have already been mentioned by other members. It's a simple straightforward operation. He recovers quickly. He will be so much more happy and content to stay at home and not roam.
Please do some research on the number of cats that are euthanized due to overpopulation alone. Please do the responsible thing and get SSS fixed. He will thank you. As would I.
Sorry this has turned into a lecture. Not intended to be. Oh he**! Yes it was. I just can't stop trying to educate.
i dont really have any reasons, i just didnt really think about it. ill have you know this is my first cat, so im learning a lot as things progress. i do plan on getting him neautered though.

i know you're passionate about animals, but you need to take it down just a notch. remember, im WITH SSS not against him.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the site! Boy what a way to learn about your first cat! First off when you joined you probably read somewhere that this is a pro spay and neauter site but maybe you just missed it. There are many members here that are heavily involved in rescue and the health and well being of pets and animals in general. Since this is your fist cat I think if you stick around long enough you will learn a ton from the members here.

First and formost please dont let your cat outside! The reasons you have already dealt with are one side of it but there is another.......your little man is contributing to the unwanted pet population... if you only knew how many unwanted kitties are killed everyday because lets face it...there are not enough homes out there and wayyyy to many kitties. Your little man when neutered will most likely have a better over all personality too because he is not being motivated by his hormones.!

The biggest reason I keep my cats inside is because I could never go outside and have to pick my cat up off the road because its been hit by a car! I have had to call for cats that have been hit and its a horrible feeling! what a way to go! and just because the neow and whine doesnt mean you have to let them out. You menitoned other family members letting your guy out. Could you set him up in your bedroom while your not hoem whith his litter box, food and maybe a little spot for him to lay on? if you have a window he may enjoy checking it out! This way your have control of where he is? they dont miss it really? I have 2 cats that have not been outside and they are perfectly well adjusted cats.

If finances are an issue regarding the neutering please look in the area you live for a low cost spay and neuter clinic...its not alot of money and males are much easier to do than females!

Enough for now...how about a picture of your little man?

Cheers

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM
-

Quote:

i know you're passionate about animals, but you need to take it down just a notch. remember, im WITH SSS not against him.
Really? I thought we were rather gentle with you.

Please appreciate that we get a lot of trolls here who like nothing better than to bait members with details exactly like that of your situation. Being a 1/ holiday weekend and 2/ spring break your post seemed to be 'right on time". I'm glad to hear you are not a troll!

So, I take it that YOU are twenty and not your cat (thanks for correcting your profile). And please DO post some pictures of your beastie.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Welcome to the site! Boy what a way to learn about your first cat! First off when you joined you probably read somewhere that this is a pro spay and neauter site but maybe you just missed it. There are many members here that are heavily involved in rescue and the health and well being of pets and animals in general. Since this is your fist cat I think if you stick around long enough you will learn a ton from the members here.

First and formost please dont let your cat outside! The reasons you have already dealt with are one side of it but there is another.......your little man is contributing to the unwanted pet population... if you only knew how many unwanted kitties are killed everyday because lets face it...there are not enough homes out there and wayyyy to many kitties. Your little man when neutered will most likely have a better over all personality too because he is not being motivated by his hormones.!

yes i understand, about 3 days ago i found a box with about 5 or so kittens in it. all about a few days old. poor guys. some of them had cement on half of their body. not enough to disable physical movement. but by the looks of it. they had rolled over and somehow pebbles got stuck on them. anyhow, i got what i could, and gave them regular milk with an eye drop squeezer-thing. (yes i know its not made for them, but in the situation what else could i have done? they're mother was no where, and the box was moved around according to my cousin who had seen it before me) anyhow, i put them back after they all had a few drops or so, they all cuddled together, and i put them back where i found em (didnt want to give them too much, i mean, they werent exactly inlove with it.) later on the next day, the whole box was gone.

The biggest reason I keep my cats inside is because I could never go outside and have to pick my cat up off the road because its been hit by a car! I have had to call for cats that have been hit and its a horrible feeling! what a way to go! and just because the neow and whine doesnt mean you have to let them out. You menitoned other family members letting your guy out. Could you set him up in your bedroom while your not hoem whith his litter box, food and maybe a little spot for him to lay on? if you have a window he may enjoy checking it out! This way your have control of where he is? they dont miss it really? I have 2 cats that have not been outside and they are perfectly well adjusted cats.

we used to keep him inside with us, he even had his own couch. but my mom has had a history with allergies. her doctor told her any hairs from any animal will increase the allergies. so shes not allergic to the cat, but the cat hairs add to it. well actually, whats IN the cat hairs adds to it.

If finances are an issue regarding the neutering please look in the area you live for a low cost spay and neuter clinic...its not alot of money and males are much easier to do than females!

Enough for now...how about a picture of your little man?

sure thing! ill get right on that, in the meantime, you can see what he looks like in my avatar. yes, thats him if you were wondering .

Cheers

Cindy

thank you cindy

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; April 4th, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Really? I thought we were rather gentle with you.

Please appreciate that we get a lot of trolls here who like nothing better than to bait members with details exactly like that of your situation. Being a 1/ holiday weekend and 2/ spring break your post seemed to be 'right on time". I'm glad to hear you are not a troll!

So, I take it that YOU are twenty and not your cat (thanks for correcting your profile). And please DO post some pictures of your beastie.
no not all of you. i ment 14+kitties specifically.
yes he/she was helpful, but it felt like he/she was almost mad.

yes im 20 lol.

i have put his picture as my avatar, in the mean time ill be uploading his pictures and linking them to this post.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM

heres a lot of pictures:

this was his late 6th month:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image023.jpg

this was him about 7 months old. it was when he was semi-inside. we have a room thats unfurnished. so we let him chill there when we first brought him. he stayed there the longest, but now that we're going to furnish it, he cant stay there.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...22009040-1.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...3122009041.jpg yawn

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...3122009047.jpg yawn

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...3122009052.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/bws001/gc.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image002.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image014.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image013.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image012.jpg camera shy

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image011.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image008.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image007.jpg avatar

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image006.jpg

this one was in the middle. we'd put him in the unfinished room and let him laydown on us while watching tv.(when i say unfinished i mean its empty, no tools, paints, w.e around, its completely empty.)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/Image016.jpg

this is when he was inside with us, at about 8 months:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...0100121365.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...0100121358.jpg

as you can see, he's got a nice little belly there.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
no not all of you. i ment 14+kitties specifically.
yes he/she was helpful, but it felt like he/she was almost mad.
Well, seeing as you pointed me out - let me tell you a bit about what I see. I see a title that says - My cat gets brutally beat up. Next I see - i let him outside a few times because he was standing at the door growling and meoing at me to open the door. so i do. Then it's corrected to - I only let him out once. My brother let him out once. My dad has the door open and he gets out. Then I read - no i havent neutered him. i dont really plan to either, i know he would calm down in many ways. but i'd rather not.

As MX3 mentioned the majority of people on this site are pro spay/neuter. So when someone comes on and says I don't really plan on it because I'd rather not then yep, I may get a little het up. I don't "get mad". Because I really was trying to educate. Had I known this was your first cat and that you were 20 I would have approached things a little differently. But, I go by what I read.

Now - a little about what I do. I have had numerous pets over the years, all fixed except one. For the last four years my life has revolved around cats. Lots of cats. In the last two years alone I have had slightly over 50 cats s/n on my own dime. Granted I found a wonderful rescue so my costs are greatly reduced but still..... I will take other people's cats with me when going so that they can benefit from the reduced costs. I do this to help control the cat population as much as I can because I hate reading about the millions of cats being put down yearly simply because there are no homes for them.
Currently I have a sanctuary that houses 29 cats. I have another 8 in my home. There are other strays that come and go that I am trying to trap so they can be fixed. They get fed too. I work to pay for everything for these cats. Not much is left over at the end of the week once their food is bought to help pay vet costs and my other bills.
So, when I see someone come on and say - I don't plan on getting him fixed - mmmm, I may get a little excited. But never ever mad. If you took it that way I apologize.
Now - the bitten nipple thing - you don't necessarily "see" fleas. If you take your kitty to the vet I am sure he will let you know what is going on.

One more thing - you mentioned in your last post he has a nice little belly. Have you ever given him worm medication to get rid of the tape worms, round worms and/or pin worms he most probably has?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Well, seeing as you pointed me out - let me tell you a bit about what I see. I see a title that says - My cat gets brutally beat up. Next I see - i let him outside a few times because he was standing at the door growling and meoing at me to open the door. so i do. Then it's corrected to - I only let him out once. My brother let him out once. My dad has the door open and he gets out. Then I read - no i havent neutered him. i dont really plan to either, i know he would calm down in many ways. but i'd rather not.

did you also read me saying that i now plan on neutering him? guess not.

As MX3 mentioned the majority of people on this site are pro spay/neuter. So when someone comes on and says I don't really plan on it because I'd rather not then yep, I may get a little het up. I don't "get mad". Because I really was trying to educate. Had I known this was your first cat and that you were 20 I would have approached things a little differently. But, I go by what I read.

like i said, i know your passionate, but you just came on a tad too strong.

Now - a little about what I do. I have had numerous pets over the years, all fixed except one. For the last four years my life has revolved around cats. Lots of cats. In the last two years alone I have had slightly over 50 cats s/n on my own dime. Granted I found a wonderful rescue so my costs are greatly reduced but still..... I will take other people's cats with me when going so that they can benefit from the reduced costs. I do this to help control the cat population as much as I can because I hate reading about the millions of cats being put down yearly simply because there are no homes for them.
Currently I have a sanctuary that houses 29 cats. I have another 8 in my home. There are other strays that come and go that I am trying to trap so they can be fixed. They get fed too. I work to pay for everything for these cats. Not much is left over at the end of the week once their food is bought to help pay vet costs and my other bills.
So, when I see someone come on and say - I don't plan on getting him fixed - mmmm, I may get a little excited. But never ever mad. If you took it that way I apologize.

its alright, like i said, i know your passionate. i like animals a lot too. i dont like seeing animals go to waste. if i could, i would bring them home, but its not my home to do what i want, so thats for future talk.
but i do what i can, i mean i did take sew-sew-steve in. i do pull over the road to pick up cats that have been hit by cars on my way to/from work.

Now - the bitten nipple thing - you don't necessarily "see" fleas. If you take your kitty to the vet I am sure he will let you know what is going on.

One more thing - you mentioned in your last post he has a nice little belly. Have you ever given him worm medication to get rid of the tape worms, round worms and/or pin worms he most probably has?
no actually, i havent. im guessing i can get that from the vet? here in kuwait theres not much going for animals. lots of street cats, theres street dogs too. though the cats exceed dogs in numbers and locations. dogs, more in distant places from the capital. so its kinda hard to find things here. if i was back in nova scotia, im pretty sure everything would be a lot easier, i mean, your local groceory store has an isle just for animals. i tried going to the vet, but it was shut down and closed. so now im asking around for another vet, to see where it is so i can take SSS.

i hope I didnt come off too strong. i do appreciate you giving me information about my cat.
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

We are all passionate and sometimes the way things are written make you wonder. But now that we have that part cleared up are you able to set SSK stay in your room while your not there? it will also keep him from roaming the house if your mom has issues with his dander? Are there locations in Kuwait that you can take him for a check up and a neuter?

Oh my I just went and checked out his pics! he is gorgeous! he looks so happy just chillin there! I missed the part about the room ...sorry...
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; April 4th, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM

hey cindy, yes i understand that the way i wrote stuff may not have been very....consistent. but i usually go to sleep between 8-10PM. and i wake up at 5:30 am. when i first posted it was about 12. so i was really out of it.

i appologize for that.

anyhow. my mom doesnt want me to bring it in at all, she cant handle it. doctor told her ANY animal in the house will add to it. so its really hard.

there is a place though to do it in kuwait, but its about a 20 minute drive from my house. im waiting to get my paycheck so i can then take him. thats about in 20 days. all i can do now is wait.

i actually tell my mom to let him in my room, but she doesnt allow me.
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

So your kitty is outside all the time then right? thats too bad...maybe if you show your mom how you will have it set up and that you will be sure to be the one to clean your room and not her? do you think your mom maybe thinks your not serious about taking care of him? somtimes different cats have different affects on people ? some dont bother you as much as others if that makes sense? or maybe she would agree to a trial period to see if having him your room affects her? if it does then maybe you could look into a rescue group that might take him in? its a rough life for cat on the streets you know? what do you think ?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
So your kitty is outside all the time then right? thats too bad...maybe if you show your mom how you will have it set up and that you will be sure to be the one to clean your room and not her? do you think your mom maybe thinks your not serious about taking care of him? somtimes different cats have different affects on people ? some dont bother you as much as others if that makes sense? or maybe she would agree to a trial period to see if having him your room affects her? if it does then maybe you could look into a rescue group that might take him in? its a rough life for cat on the streets you know? what do you think ?

Cindy
well cindy, technically he is outside, but not outside per se.

we have a.... whats it called. well... the houses here have their peremetres(sp.?) and within the peremetres is the house. the house doesnt take up the whole peremetre, theres still space left over. so theres walls built around each house that exactly how big the peremetre is. that cat is outside the house, but between the walls and the house. so no animal will get in. unless the front gate is open. which is why he gets let out. say we leave the door open cause we need to get something from the car etc...etcc... and next thing you know stevie is out and about.

so thats why i dont seem so worried about him being outside, because he's not exactly exposed with other cats. but he goes nuts cause he smells them from inside the house, but here hes outside. so its almost like they are infront of him. when i first heard him growl i didnt know what it was, until i let him out.

sew-sew actually loves my mom too. from time to time my mom opens the house door and she goes "sew sew! how you doing? what do you want..." etc... etc.. and he runs over meowing. he trusts her more then me, and yet i am the one taking care of him lol. she does check up on him. when he was a baby she let hhim inside, he was growing on us. even grew on my dad. but because my mom re-developed her allergie, the cat had to go. im sorry, but the wellbeing of my mother comes before my cat, no matter what.

anyhow, he's in a position where patience is ok, he's not being harmed, he still looks the same in the pictures, almost 100% healed back. but thats from the outside.

excuse my grammar, its about time i got some shut eye, im feeling really drowzy. i really appreciate everyones input. i've learned a lot from just communication with you guys. thanks again.

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; April 4th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

While I understand you are in a country where there isn't much as you said in care for a cat, but you've had him since he was about a month and a half, and not 8 or 9 months later you still haven't taken him to the vet?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM

well, when we first discovered him, it was walking back and forth transferring our stuff from our apartment to the trucks that would take them to our new house. his age dictates how long we've been living in this house. so when we took him, it was at the end of the day, quite busy... all scatter heads really. takes about a good month getting used to the house, so thats one. i still didnt have my license or money to do it, and most certainly my parents werent gonna give me money for it. they arent really educated on it, i mean, if it looks normal theres nothing to worry about, what can you do? its what their generation has taught them. they are most certainly not at fault though. anyhow, about 5 months into his life i got my license. now i dont have money to take him, so all i could do was wait. since i didnt get my job with my license, you add in the amount of time jobless (around two months). i've also been working at my job for about 2 1/2 months now, not counting this month. so you can add that to his age, thats around 8 1/2 months. this off the top of my head. but as you can see it adds up with his age, and not everythings been convenient. i've been buying him food, and thats the most important thing. hopefully this month i can set some money aside to go and atleast get him checked up and given some medicine.