Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Exclamation Jack is Itchy and doesnt have Fleas!

My 90lb 9yrOld PitBull/Great Dane itches all the time (about every 15 minutes or so) with no distinct cause. On his face, stomach, groin, neck, ears, anywhere he can reach. No fleas, etc. I have recently treated him for fleas anyway, he has had several baths, no change in diet (has been eating Bil-Jac all 9 years). Sometimes he will be licking his paws and itching the couch with his hind leg without noticing. Could this be neurological and what do I do to help him?
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I would take him to the vet. It could be any type of allergy, a skin condition, etc... Only the vet can diagnose what exactly is going on with him.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:51 PM

A vet would be able to help pinpoint the cause of his itchiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapJacksMom
My 90lb 9yrOld PitBull/Great Dane itches all the time (about every 15 minutes or so) with no distinct cause. On his face, stomach, groin, neck, ears, anywhere he can reach. No fleas, etc. I have recently treated him for fleas anyway, he has had several baths, no change in diet (has been eating Bil-Jac all 9 years). Sometimes he will be licking his paws and itching the couch with his hind leg without noticing. Could this be neurological and what do I do to help him?
Licking of the paws is a sign of allergies. Did this start after his bath or before? What kind of shampoo did you use when you gave him a bath? Does he have any flakes on his skin?
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Definitely see a vet. It could be allergies to the shampoo you used, to pollens, to food, and maybe even a reaction to pesticides or cleaning products.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM
-

I would get him checked by a vet as it could be a number of things. It can be caused by a change in the brain, allergies as well as other skin conditions and also stress. Think back to when it first started, were there any changes in the household at that time. The reason why your dog does it now may not be reason why it started in the first place. It may have become a formed habit. Has he caused any sores with his licking and scratching?
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
I would get him checked by a vet as it could be a number of things. It can be caused by a change in the brain, allergies as well as other skin conditions and also stress. Think back to when it first started, were there any changes in the household at that time. The reason why your dog does it now may not be reason why it started in the first place. It may have become a formed habit. Has he caused any sores with his licking and scratching?
No sores.... It hasn't been violent or destructive scratching. This repetitive scratching has only begun in the last 2 days or so. The only change in our household has been an additional cat. We already have one existing cat and the cat that we added is 2 years old. I can't imagine what he could be allergic to, we have lived here in the same place for 3 years or so. He has been on the same food always. Thanks for your help!
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Dogs can develop allergies later in life - just like people. The symptoms you describe point to an allergy. I have heard of alot more people having problems with allergies this year due to the extra wet spring we had - perhaps something like this has contributed to your furbabies misery.

Also, it's not a good idea to bathe your dog very often - it dries out their skin and can make them itchy as well. Some breeds more than others.

Good Luck!
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM
-

Just a thought, but you may want to bath the new cat as it may be that there is something on the cats hair or the degree of dander this cat has. Your dog is also a senior and with a new cat in the house he may be stressed.