Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:30 PM
banned user

Q: Do you keep the collar on your dog at all time?

Or take it off at night?
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:34 PM

My collars usually are on all the time except when they are in their crates.
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM

I do take them off at night if I remember just because when they move, they make noise and the neighbor's dog starts to bark and never stops. Otherwise I remove them when they are playing rough (one of my dogs got scratched by the license), and any other time they are on.

My friend's mom takes them off every night and as she does it, she says "Let's put your pajamas on"-- I find that so cute.
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Briggs has hers on at all times, except in the crate.
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Kitty Consort

I keep mine on the dog at night, just a habit.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM

I only take it off to put her in her crate, but a couple of times I forgot to.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I only have mine on when we are going outside, walk, or out, etc. But in the house they are always off.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM
banned user

Oh then I won't feel so bad for putting the collar on Diego all the time. He hates it passionately, always scratches his collar. But I want to hear him moving at night so that I can take him out. His name tag is also on the collar so I want to keep that with him at all time as well.

Thanks everyone!
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM
<-----nut ball

Mine has his collar only on when going out. Otherwise, it's off in the house. We leave his harness on all day though. He goes nekkid all night long!
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM

I leave mine on Cheech all the time. When I do take it off to bathe him, he can't wait for me to put it back on - he seems to have become attached to it!!
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM

My dogs wear their collars all the time..my maltese has never worn a collar..as i carry her into the vets..she doesn't go for rides as she'd rather stay at home..she's 12 my Shih is 10 weeks and i will take him more w/me so when i go to our small town i will have him on collar and leash..but will take off when at home..my other 2 dogs and big dogs beefore them always wore collars all the time..w/their ID tags on as we live in the bush..they never go off the property but one never knows if they are ever found hurt etc. i NEVER have a choke collar on them only when they go to the vets..as they could get it caught on branches, shrubs etc..they would never b able to release themselves..their nylon collars are on as such they would b able to slip out of them easily if the situation arose. of course u can see what other owners veiws are on this...Top.
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

my 9yo dog last wore a coller alot when she was about 2yo. she is chipped and wears a choke when walking so a coller just gets in the way. if she needs to be tied up (eg recently had work done on the fence) she has a collr for that, but it is the one she had at 2yo. i did get her to wear it at my mums house jsut incase and it carries a ID canister on it, but over here there is no law and you dont get a registration tag anymore since chipping is the law, so its optional.. nah she dont need it or want it and i dont think she likes the constriction, she is ok for a short period of tie up or at her grannies house but that is it. and in 9yrs she has never left my side or her yard so it is not an issue for us or a legal point.
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo wears a harness only when we go for our walks - he is never off leash. In the house we take it off. Prior to having him fitted for his harness (harnesses are easier with Eskimos) we used a collar, which we also took off in house. I got used to doing this with we had short-haired mini Dachshunds - the collars chaffed. Eskimos are also very sensitive and he kept catching his extra strong toe-nails in it.
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM

We used to keep Molly's collar on her all the time until she got used to her new home. Now Molly only wears her collar when she goes outside for walks ect. When we come in she sits by the kitchen counter and waits for her collar to be taken off (that is where we keep it)
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Has got it going on

Sadie never wears a collar! Only when we're out. I wish I had gotten her more used to it though, she can't stand it when she does wear it. She'll just sit and scratch.

I always thought that leaving it on would be a hazard, like it getting caught on something.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM
banned user

Justice wears a collar at all times.
She wears a 'choke collar' when on walks, and while doing obedience training. These collars are not safe to leave on in the house, as they can get caught and choke the dog to death. If you use this type of collar, never leave the dog unsupervised with it on.
Once she is inside she has just a normal collar on, orginally, so i could hear when she was running after the cats. If i take it off, she knows she's getting groomed, and won't leave the stool till she has it back on. She likes it now.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Shih Tzu Owner

Ariel used to wear her collar all the time but I've gotten lazy lately. I now leave it off because it gets in the way when I'm grooming her. Her hair has gotten quite long and I brush and comb it every night so the collar gets in the way and leaves mats. We have a harness that we put on her for walks. She doesn't mind wearing a collar though.

I think if a dog is scratching on their collar all the time, you should invest on getting another more comfortable one. Ariel used to do the same and we bought her a nicer one and she stopped scratching.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM

I agree about the comfort-- when we were done with training I got very small-link chokers for my doggies. Mainly just for show. They're too weak for real training but 1/4 the weight of the old ones.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:35 PM
Has got it going on

Oh, I have about 7 different collars for Sadie. She scratches at all of them, and hankies too!
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:48 PM

Mostly the same thing around here...many different collars (I won't list them all ) but, in general around the house.... nekkid as a jay! lol
My older dog has a really pretty ruff and the collar wears it away, and the pup has a short coat and I dont' want it to chaff him.
I do find leather collars are far superior to nylon, I use them when we go out even if i"m using a different training collar...just to carry name tags on (just in case)
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

My dog only wears his collar when he is going outside. I take it off of him when he is in the house.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Sam only wears his collor when hes going outside, hes still housetraining so he spends a fair amount of time in the crate, and from what i hear its not safe for him to wear a collor in the crate

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I use to leave Ciara's collar on all time...now I only put it on to go out. She also has a harness for emergencys. (Mainly bad weather). When I put her harness on she knows it's serious business going on and she is alert. She has not had to wear the harness since the past hurricane season and has become a couch potato once again. I love it when she arrs at me! We have a warning issued for our area later today, it's a good time to practice the drill, and I hope it will be nothing but a drill. The harness goes on after her dinner. She becomes a different dog once she is in the harness....she is more aware of her surroundings and very cautious & protective. Ciara becomes my eyes & ears . Other than that, she is still the super uber goober dawg.
Since this is about collars, I'll leave her mouthwash fetish out of this thread. Really, she has one...
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Mouthwash? That would be interesting. I just started making capone wear a leather collar recently. I have left it on for the first time overnight. I just am wondering if I have it on too tight. I mean I can put 2 fingers under it but when hes laying down all his extra skin puffs up out of it as if its too tight. He seems to actually like it. My problem is that the hole before it is way to lose, or maybe not I dont know. And this one seems perfect until he lays down. I am wondering if its just that extra pitty skin they have on there neck and face. Anyone?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:33 PM

Our tuggers wears his all the time except at bath time!!!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Performance Spaniels

Ours wears a collar and a tag with our addy/ number on it. Her rabies tag is on her harness. I'm afraid of someone opening our front door and her bolting. She is good about waiting, but there are somedays... And that would be the time that she would be collarless. So she wears it all the time except baths.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM

Leather Collar

Quote:
I just am wondering if I have it on too tight. I mean I can put 2 fingers under it but when hes laying down all his extra skin puffs up out of it as if its too tight.
We got Gabby a leather collar a couple months ago. I wondered the same thing about it being too tight. I could easily fit 2 fingers in, but when she layed down it also bunched up her skin. I just made sure I wasn't forcing anything to fit the 2 fingers, then eased her into wearing it by taking it off at night for a few days. It started off really stiff and now has softened up quite a bit and she usually wears it all the time. If it was uncomfortable I would guess the dog would let you know somehow. Good luck
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
Mouthwash? That would be interesting. I just started making capone wear a leather collar recently. I have left it on for the first time overnight. I just am wondering if I have it on too tight. I mean I can put 2 fingers under it but when hes laying down all his extra skin puffs up out of it as if its too tight. He seems to actually like it. My problem is that the hole before it is way to lose, or maybe not I dont know. And this one seems perfect until he lays down. I am wondering if its just that extra pitty skin they have on there neck and face. Anyone?
Ever since Ciara was a puppy, for some very strange reason she has the need to go for a ride if she hears me (or anyone) gargle or use mouthwash. This is the only time she will bolt out of the door. I have learned over the years to "swish" instead of gargling..(is that a word?) She is not satisfied unless she goes at least around the block. I think she may have picked up this die hard habit when we went to work every day at the vet hospital. I would get dressed, brush teeth, use mouthwash, load dog and go.
If I'm not swishing, I'll load and spit out of the car window on the way out of the driveway....no idea what the neighbors think yet.
What we go through...she has taught me well.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM

i keep mine off all the time, except when we go for walks, so when we put a collar on her, she knows we are going out, but we have a whole bunch of them, 2 chokes, 1 leather, 3 material, 2 harnesses and 3 leashes, for every occasion, weather and mood sometimes she wears a leather, a choke and a harness at the same time
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
banned user

Choke collar? The name sounds scary, what's it used for?