Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old June 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

here we go again

hi everyone

having some trouble with my tank again. I got two cory cats about a week ago and two cherry barbs. They were in the same tank at the pet store and from what i saw everyone was looking pretty good. Well on tuesday i lost both the cory cats and the cherry barbs are fine. Tonight i am losing one of my blue platies (the other blue platie is fine swimming around and acting normal) but everyone else seems fine. I tested the ph and its at 7.4 which i know is high. How can i lower that do i have to add something that lowers ph? the ammonia and nitrite are at 0. The nitrate is at 10 ppm which according to my book is fine. Could it be some sort of sickness came in with the cory cats? or maybe the blue platie just died i've had them for about 5 months. plus i have a female beta in there and my angel fish is chasing her around is this just normal or do angelfish and betas don't get along? i'm about to move her to her own little tank i just have to get it set up. I am finding i don't really understand fish as much as i thought lol.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

7.4 pH is not high, in fact that's what my tap water runs at and I don't alter the pH on most of my tanks. Platys specifically are NOT low pH fish so 7.4 is perfect for them.
It's best not to mess with your pH since you can really mess up your tank if it's not done right. Especially with lowering the pH you can cause huge fluctuations.

It sounds like maybe you have some kind of infection. If your nitrites and ammonia are at 0 that's great so you shouldn't be having any issues. What kind of test kit are you using? Also, what is the temperature and do you know if it's staying consistent?

Quote:
plus i have a female beta in there and my angel fish is chasing her around is this just normal or do angelfish and betas don't get along?
That really depends on individual personality. Some angelfish will try to kill bettas, some aren't aggressive toward them. If there's any question whatsoever I'd seperate them.
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

little update...

Well since i posted i lost the blue playt and one of the cherry barbs and one of my blue dinmo's. The angel fish did kill my beta before i could get her out of there sooooo i really know now that my angel fish is very aggresive. (i guess him biting me when i put my arm in the tank should have clued me in) so far everyone else seems fine. I didn't do anything to the tank yet. So two things one i'm not adding anymore fish to the tank at the moment and two i'm find a new pet store this is the third time this has happened. My temp is kept at about 76 degrees not sure Fahrenheit or celestas.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

so then forgot to ask this....anyone know what type of fish angel's get along with he/she/it seems to get along with the platys and the dinmos.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Is it possible there are too many fish in your tank? I by no means know what I am talking about, however I have a 25 gal tank and in it I have 1 Pleco and 6 misc tetras and barbs (like I said, I am a beginner)...if I so much as put a new fish of similar kind in the tank, something will die.

Grasping at straws, but you never know

I found some useful info here... http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/

Last edited by TacoGrl; June 28th, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooki View Post
Is it possible there are too many fish in your tank? I by no means know what I am talking about, however I have a 25 gal tank and in it I have 1 Pleco and 6 misc tetras and barbs (like I said, I am a beginner)...if I so much as put a new fish of similar kind in the tank, something will die.

Grasping at straws, but you never know

I found some useful info here... http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/
0 nitrites and ammonia and 10ppm nitrates don't indicate an overstocked tank unless the kit is inaccurate, though adding too many fish at once can cause an ammonia spike that doesn't register by the time you test. This situation doesn't sound like that though.

Quote:
My temp is kept at about 76 degrees not sure Fahrenheit or celestas.
76 is fine.

Quote:
so then forgot to ask this....anyone know what type of fish angel's get along with he/she/it seems to get along with the platys and the dinmos
Anything that is aggressive enough to defend itself but won't tear apart your angelfish or anything that's fast enough to get away from him, like tetras.