Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Sick Puppy

Hello,

We have a 5 month old yorkie/terrier/Maltese mix that won't stand up and is lethargic. Today we left for a few hours and she was full of energy. When we came home she seemed sad and wouldn't stand. We checked her and she doesn't appear to have any injuries, and no areas on her body seem to bother her. She doesn't have a loss in appetite and will drink fluids as well. She is also up to date on her vaccinations. We tried picking her up to get her to stand and she lies down immediately.
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She needs to see a vet as soon as you can get her in. Lethargy in a pup that age is never good, and if she's having trouble standing, she may have hurt herself while you were gone. Meanwhile, keep her quiet. Make sure she stays hydrated.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:41 PM

You think she may have hurt herself even though nothing seems to bother her? We feeled her all around and she didn't yelp or anything. Also, lethargy can be a symptom of an injury?

Thanks for responding!
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have your puppy checked for Lyme's disease ,ticks been real horrible this year.

Was your puppy in a cage or did it have the run of the house while you were out ? You could look around and see if you can find anything that been chewed on or eaten.

Last edited by Barkingdog; September 9th, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithbill View Post
You think she may have hurt herself even though nothing seems to bother her? We feeled her all around and she didn't yelp or anything. Also, lethargy can be a symptom of an injury?
It's possible. We've had dogs with sore backs that have no reaction when manipulated by us, but that will refuse to walk or even get up. The vets are usually better at figuring out what hurts--they seem to be able to detect tension when they get to the sore area, but usually, I can't.

So yes, this could be from an injury. But it might also be from something she swallowed, or if she's coming down with something, which is why it's so important to get her in to the vet as soon as you can. Was she in a kennel while you were away? Could she have gotten into something toxic?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 9th, 2017, 10:49 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. She was out while we were gone, but there wasn't anything she could've gotten into. We got her to stand and even walk now though. She seemed to not like putting weight on her right hind leg, so I'm wondering if maybe she did hurt it while we were gone. It is odd though considering she didn't yelp whatsoever when checking her out--she is the type that screams bloody murder when she gets hurt. We are going to let her rest and take her to the vet on Monday if she doesn't improve.
Old September 10th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Glad to hear there's some improvement, please keep us posted.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hurray! Glad she's a little better! Yes, pls keep us posted.

Oh--and when things settle down, we'd love to see some pics of her.

Old September 10th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

My last dog was limping on his front leg and I thought he had hurt it was jumping up to catch a ball , he had a vet appointment the next day so I told the vet about this . And my dog limped right after I said this as if to show the vet what I meant . Finlay had Lyme disease and was put on meds and got better . I was told that the beach I took my dog to had horrible deer ticks in the sand . There should had been a sign up warning people b/c they brought their children and babies to the beach and dogs on off season.
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:00 PM

She is back to her normal self now. She must have fell or tripped while we were gone and was sore. Thanks everyone. Here is a picture of her and our other two.
Attached Images

Old September 10th, 2017, 08:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh my goodness, what an adorable crew!! What do the older two think of the new addition?

Old September 10th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

They're thinking mom like me better ! They're adorable .