Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Puppy with very dry flakey skin

Hi! My puppy has very sensitive skin (he is a Basenji, its a breed issue I think) and every time after I bathe and brush him, he has all these white flakes? ALL over his body. I think part of it is from brushing him even tho its a soft brush and I don't do it hard at all. It eventually goes away after a couple of days. I use sensitive skin shampoo. Can someone recommend a lotion or something to help this? Should I use a conditioner? I plan on switching from Eukanauba (didn't know any better until I found this wonderful site!) to Nutro Nat. Choice in the next couple of days. Do you think this would help some?
Thanks for any input!
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

will help...

Also, bathe less frequently and when you do so, use an oatmeal shampoo. It helps with dry flaky skin. You can also supplement your pup with Omega 3 caplets for a few weeks until his coat starts to produce more natural oils.
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM

How often are you bathing him? He may have lost a lot of oil in his skin due to over bathing. Normally, a dog is only bathed when it needs it, no more. It's possible it may be the Eukancrapa that you're feeding him, but it's more likely the shampoo. Switch him over to a good quality food, such as Nutro, Solid Gold, or Wellness, and see how his skin does. If he's still dry and flakey, try adding a little bit of cod liver oil (just a bit!) to his food, once per day. The "little" bit of extra oil should help his skin recover.

Other than that, try not to bathe him unless he rolls in something, or gets really filthy.

That's the best I can come up with at the moment.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I would ask my vet or a reputable groomer what should be done - ruling out a skin condition first. By the way, I also have very sensitive skin - but allergy testing revealed I am extremely sensitive to products formulated for sensitive skin. So use of sensitive skin products gives me a rash. Food also is an issue of course - you have to find out if it is a cause and exactly which foods your dog has a problem with. My dog is sensitive to corn and wheat, but really only for digestive purposes - way too much output. He is now just over a year and we have had him on food that works for him for 4 months now. But while on puppy food and his first batch of adult food, it was only his digestive system that reacted to these ingredients. His skin and hair were and are fine.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Thanks for the quick replies! I have only had my puppy since the beginning of March, so I've only bathed him 3 times.
My poor boy is being neutered Monday, so I'll ask the vet what they think too. I'll probably go ahead and get some oatmeal shampoo and cod liver oil this week. Is that available at petsmart or petco? I hope between all that and changing his food this dandruff stuff goes away!

**Sorry for posting in the wrong area **
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM

You've basically bathed him just over once per month. That's WAY too often for a dog! Unless a dog becomes filthy from rolling in mud , or poop , or is REALLY stinky , then I would only bathe once or twice a year, but only if he needed it.

There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANBshilling
**Sorry for posting in the wrong area **
Don't worry about it! That's what I'm here for!

To be quite honest, I don't know if you can buy Cod Liver oil in a pet store. It's normally used for people , so I'd think you could get it at health food stores. But, since you're going to the vet anyway, ask him/her about the oil, and how much to use. Better getting it from the horse's mouth I say.

Old May 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
banned user

Are you rinsing him properly? If not, it will dry out his skin and could cause it to flake. Rinse rinse, and when you think you're done, rinse some more.

I also agree that a good quality food will improve his skin overall.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Owned by goldens

Dry flakey skin

Some dogs require more baths than others. My goldens can get dirty and when they dry a good brushing will get rid of all the dirt. My sister's Airedale would need a bath.
I would agree that bathing your puppy once a month is too often unless of course it is absolutely necessary.
Changing his food will probably help. You should be able to find the cod liver oil or omega 3 oils in WalMart (pharmacy section).
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:35 PM
banned user

Salmon oil is good, also.

It seems that much depends on the dog, as I bathe Raj once every two weeks! I do use a very moisturizing conditioner, though, so perhaps that is replenishing her skin somewhat.
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Ah, well, see - I learned something new today! I had no idea some dogs require this much bathing. Perhaps it's related to the type of shampoo then. Switching types may be the difference between flakey, dry skin and nice, moist skin.

Please keep us up to date on how your dog is doing.

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that you are bathing him too often.

Short, smooth tight coats like your dog has doesn't need to be washed so much.

Just a wipedown with a damp cloth is sufficient if he gets a little dirty.

I bathe my pit bull (same coat type) 3 or 4 times a year!
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I was told by my vet that once a month was fine, but no more. I bathe Levi a little over once a month and give him a Cod Liver Oil capsule everyday. His coat has gotten very shiny and smooth and looks a lot healthier than it did before I got him.
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Hi everyone :-) I am new here and this is my very first post!!!

I must say that I am VERY impressed with everyone's knowledge on many subjects!!! This seems like a nice little community :-)

About dry skin, a change of food would sure make a world of difference. My girls (Loulou, 41/2 and Dixie, 9 months - Golden retrievers) are fed raw foods and since they barely have a "doggy smell" and don't have waxy ears, I rarely bath them at all (last time was months ago). I give them good brushings every other day or so though and I'm able to keep them pretty clean (and no flacky or itchy skin like Loulou used to have with kibbles or canned food).

If it can help, I read somewhere that dog skin Ph is more acid than shampoo and it might be usefull, after shampooing, to rince well and then mix some cider vinegar (I don't recall the quantities, though) in water and work through the hair, to restore the ph. I don't know what dogs smell after such a treatment but I guess that it must not hurt to try (and it is inexpensive as well)!

Hoping you'll find what works for your baby!
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
banned user

Mamielou, welcome!!! You should post in the "introduce yourself" forum- let everyone know that you are here and introduce us to your furbabies as well (pictures are not only welcomed, but begged for )!

That is some very interesting advice you posted here. I did not know dogs had an acid ph. I will definitely keep that in mind, but I think I'll use a lemon rinse instead of vinegar. It's also acidic, but likely will keep Raj and Chloe from smelling like a salad .
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM

Hello Cactus flower!

Thanks for the welcome, we all appreciate it! I will make sure to go and introduce myself to everyone and try to post a picture of my girls :-)

And for the lemon idea, heck, why not!!! Your dog won't smell like salad but like limonade, hehe! Add a little cream and you've got yourself a walking and wagging lemon pie!!!

Let us know how it works!

Marie and company
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Thanks again everyone! My pup is getting neutered today, so I plan on talking to the dr when I pick him up. I called and he is doing fine! They had to extract a couple of baby teeth that weren't coming out. So I hate that his mouth will be sore too! I'll probably wet his food and get it a little soggy for him.

I ended up purchasing Nutro Nat choice puppy food instead of the Wellness. Mainly because its much more convenient being in Petsmart than the petstore across town. He gobbled it up! I mixed his normal food with a quarter of Nat choice. I guess I'll do it until the normal food is gone.

FYI, if you are looking for Cod Liver Oil (liquid and capsule form) Central Market has it if you live near one. They sell for about $10 a bottle.

Ashley