Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Exclamation RECALL: Hartz Mountain Naturals Real Beef Dog Treats

The Hartz Mountain Corporation Recalls Hartz Naturals Real Beef Treats Because of Possible Salmonella Health Risk

Hartz Consumer Affairs
(800) 275-1414

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- SECAUCUS, N.J. - September 3, 2010 - The Hartz Mountain Corporation is voluntarily recalling one specific lot of Hartz Naturals Real Beef Treats for Dogs due to concerns that one or more bags within the lot may have been potentially contaminated with Salmonella. Hartz is fully cooperating with the US Food and Drug Administration in this voluntary recall.

Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems, all of whom are at particular risk from exposure and should avoid handling these products.

Salmonella symptoms may include fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea in both dogs and humans. Anyone experiencing the symptoms of Salmonella infection should seek immediate medical attention. Owners of dogs exhibiting these symptoms should also seek veterinary assistance.

Hartz Mountain Corporation is recalling 74,700

Size of Bag
8-oz bags of

Name of Item Recalled
Hartz Naturals Real Beef Treats for Dogs,

Lot Code
BZ0969101E

UPC Number
32700-11519

which were imported by Hartz from a Brazilian supplier, Bertin S.A., and which were distributed to a number of customers in the United States . While regular testing conducted by Bertin (prior to shipment to the US) did not detect the presence of Salmonella in any packages of this product, random sample testing conducted by FDA did indicate the presence of Salmonella. Hartz is aggressively investigating the source of the problem.

Although Hartz has not received any reports of animals or humans becoming ill as a result of coming into contact with this product, Hartz is taking immediate steps to remove the product from all retail stores and distribution centers. Dog owners having purchased this product should check the lot code on their bag, and, if the code is not visible, or if the bag has lot code BZ0969101E imprinted thereon, they should immediately discontinue use of the product and discard it in a proper manner.

Consumers can contact Hartz at 1-800-275-1414 at any time with any questions they may have and for information on how to obtain reimbursement for purchased product.

#

What bothers me about this recall is Hartz tells the individual who purchased the treat to discard the item. Then essentially in the fine print they tell them to call to find out if they will be reimbursed.
From what I've seen most companies who issue a recall have the item returned to either where it was purchased or sent back to the manufacturer.
IMHO it doesn't speak well of Hartz Mountain. I wonder if they are trying to get out of paying for the recall. Just my 2¢
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Hmmm.. I dunno

There have been a lot of similar recalls for both human and pet foods.. and I think I've read where it said to "Discard it". I know I threw out some steak from my freezer last year when the alert was put out about concern.

The best thing to do for yourself and for your pet.. in mho is if possible make it yourself... avoid all prepackaged and refined and/or processed foods.

I have a dehydrator and try to make a lot of dog snacks... guess that won't help if they recall the meat!!!!!! pahaha

Robin
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What's that old saying? A leopard never changes its' spots. At least they issued a recall this time.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!