Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Only pooped in house now pees too

I have a 5 year old mini Aussie. When ever something new is introduced into his life he would pooped in the house for at least six months. My daughter was with my parents for a month when we first got him, and when she came back he pooped in her room. When my son was born he pooped in his room, and when we moved he did this in the bathroom. It always seems to last for about six months or so. We have just recently moved again and guess what he is now doing this in the basement. What frustrates me the most is he has now started to pee too. It's a brand new house. It doesn't matter how often he goes out. It still happens. He has been neutered. He just started peeing on things on the floor. I don't understand what's going on or how to help him. My husband won't have it. He'll get rid of him if it continues. I have blocked him off from the downstairs area, but I can't keep him out forever. The basement is where the family room/entertainment room is. Help...\\

Jen
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Albert's mommy

The first thing you need to do..is throroughly clean the spots he goes in. You've probably noticed he has a few favorite spots. Once the dog has 'marked' the territory..its hard for him to not go there. Now I'm not knocking your cleaning! But just because it's clean enough where YOU don't see a stain or smell something..doesn't mean the scent is masked for him. Dogs have much better noses than us, remember that. There are special cleaners out there specifically made to remove all traces of scent so the dog will not find it anymore.

after that, there are products that are made to repel dogs from certain areas..so you can use that on couches, carpets, anywhere you are trying to get him away from.

How often are you walking him? do you just let him out in the yard? You may need to start with letting him out every hour, and every single time he successfully goes outside, he must get a LOT of praise, and a treat. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Do not be afraid to look like a crazy woman on the street saying "good boy, you went poopys...goood boy!!!" Depending on the dog, they'll get it fairly quickly.

Your dog is older, have you had him since he was a puppy? Has he always been like this? I have heard of dogs pooping when they are unhappy about a situation. It sounds crazy...but I've seen it!

I fostered about 8 dogs one year, one after another almost...and I have an older dog that never has accidents..he would 'hold it' up to 12 hours at times. Within a week of the new dog arriving, I'd come home to a little surprise right next to the new dog's crate or bed...even if he'd been out a few hours before. Just his little way of letting me know he wasn't too happy about the new addition! I just adopted a cat a few months back..sure enough, found his mess, right next to her litter box. He only does it once to make his point and that's it. So I don't dwell on it too much. but i do find it funny.

You did mention he does this when things change...he may be letting you know he is not happy about it. But we need to make him understand it will please you more if he only goes outside.

how do you react when he goes inside? Do you yell? punish? correct? do you ignore it and just clean it up?