Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM

Excessive barking

I have a 1.5 year old shih-tzu that I got 6 months ago from a puppy mill. He has lots of behavior problems and nobody can touch him except me. One of the issues we have is his excessive barking when anyone comes to our house. It doesn’t matter to him if I’m home too or not, he will still bark constantly.
When I leave him alone in the house he’s ok, but if I leave and lock him in a room (he's still house training) he barks a lot and scratches the door.

When we leave him home and have our baby-sitter staying with the kids he won’t stop barking the whole time! I tried having him in a room in the basement and I tried leaving him free in the house with the kids and the baby-sitter. He just doesn’t stop his barking even for 5 minutes!! (He also poops in the house when she the baby-sitter is here).

We feel like prisoners in the house, since we can’t go out and leave the kids with the baby-sitter because he barks so much that the kids (who are still young) can’t fall asleep. Every time we went out we were forced to come back early only so they can have some quiet and go to sleep. I felt bad for the baby sitter the last time. She stayed in on of the kids rooms for over an hour hoping that if the dog won’t see her, he will be quiet, but it didn’t work.

How can we get him to stop his barking???

Thanks!