Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty Has Trick Knees and it taking Meloxicam

I took Marty to the vet as I notice he was having trouble lifting his leg to pee and started needing help to get in the car. The vet said his knees pop out both ways and he could need surgery. I was given Meloxicam to help with the pain and the side effects looks awful. I have never use this drug on a pet and wonder if anyone has and how helpful it was for their pet. Marty is only 3 yo but I was told trick knees is common in small dogs . The worst part about the drug it Marty should have a meal before getting the pill and the drug can made a dog loss their appetite.

http://www.vetinfo.com/meloxicam-dogs.html
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

It's an NSAID and does carry risk. I used it for my GSD for back issue, but tuck with alternatives mainly. I would use liver support with it, like milk thistle, or Country Life's "Liver Support Factors".

For the knee, you might want to start thinking about a consult with an ortho doc, just for an evalutation. I *think* the longer those knees are popping in and out, more wear and tear and arthritis, but I could be wrong.
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
It's an NSAID and does carry risk. I used it for my GSD for back issue, but tuck with alternatives mainly. I would use liver support with it, like milk thistle, or Country Life's "Liver Support Factors".

For the knee, you might want to start thinking about a consult with an ortho doc, just for an evalutation. I *think* the longer those knees are popping in and out, more wear and tear and arthritis, but I could be wrong.
Marty is take one pill for a week than as needed. I called up to see how much a consult with an ortho doc would cost . It is about $400 -$500 and that includes
x rays. It would cost $140 with no x rays but I know the doc. is going want to take some . Thank you for your reply . Marty was in pain and had to lift his leg 3 or 4 time before he was able to keep it up to pee. Poor little guy!
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck, it's hard when they are in pain, and everything is expensive!
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Good luck, it's hard when they are in pain, and everything is expensive!
Thank you. and how is it expensive . I am trying to keep Marty from jumping on his hind legs which he loves to do when is excited or need to go out to pee real badly.