Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Arf! Arf!

Puppy keeps jumping off the deck.

My malamute is 4 1/2 months old and 64 lbs.

He likes to hang out on the outdoor deck and sometimes, for no reason at all, he just gets up and runs full speed and launches himself off the upper deck and lands on the ground 5 feet below. He does this at least 2-3 times a day.

Inside our house he also hardly ever walks down the stairs from our upper level. He jumps down 4 to 5 steps at a time like a mountain goat.

I'm concerned about him breaking something or hurting his joints etc.

Should I be concerned?

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]

Last edited by Gripenfelter; April 15th, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you should be too concerned. Next time you're talking to your vet, maybe check with them. If he seems to be okay when he's walking around otherwise, then it's probably fine. He might get a muscle pull or something, but that's normal for anyone, animals or human. As for jumping off the stairs, I think that might partly be to the fact that, to my understanding, dogs don't really like walking down stairs. Also, when Daisy was hyper in the old house, she'd launch herself off the top stair. In this house, the wall kind of impedes her launches, though. Not that she hasn't tried...
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

Hmm, a large breed dog, especially a puppy already over 60lbs shouldn't be jumping from this height in my opinion. He could cause damage to his joints. The same goes for very strenuous running and such with large breeds while pups. All of his joints and bones are still forming, I'd ask your vet right away. I'm sure he is having a blast, lol, picturing him with a superman cape and leaping over tall buildings in a single bound hehe I don't know how you'll convince the pup to stop though, I know reasoning with Einstein doesn't go over well . See what your vet tells you, it's easy enough to just give a quick call.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Heinz57 - wouldn't hurt to check with your vet. I worry about my 21 lb. Eskimo who also has no fear of taking giant leaps - when in being neutered they put a sign on his cage to open door very carefully. Worry about him breaking a leg.

HEINZ57 - My most athletic dog was my first mini Dachshund - despite his back surgeries he was capable of serious climbing - and if he couldn't hall himself up to begin the climb he would push a chair over. Smartest dog the vet ever met. Nothing like a 9 lb. dog that could open the fridge. What a guy!
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

LOL SnowDancer! I have one of those mini flying doxies, sad he thinks those ears are for flying. We've had no back problems so we try to keep the leaping and flying to a minimum.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear that you haven't suffered the dreaded disc disease. My 2 Wonder Wieners had both neck and back - every disc - worse cases Guelph neurologists had ever seen. We experienced Stages I and II - with Stage II being the most insidious. I tried to keep them under control as well, but an Alpha mini Dachshund is a force to be reckoned with - and a truly benevolent Alpha one to be grateful for. Our other Dachshunds were of milder temperament so took direction from Wonder #1 and then when he died, from Wonder #2 - who died one year ago tomorrow at age 8. I am pleased to see easy availability of ramps and other aids these days - when ours were pups - first doll died in Sept. 97 - they were custom and my husband is not handy. Using a sling on a mini is a nightmare after surgery - for puppy as well. I like the "bottoms-up" harness that I saw on the website - would have been great for my little guy. He was so frustrated with the sling at one end sliding off his little dappled body and the leash on the other end - and not wanting to admit he had a problem. Doing his "business" was very frustrating. How I miss them. So now my Eskimo is trying to be an Eskie/Dachshund. But he sure shows respect when we meet an alpha mini on the street - has to be alpha though.
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I don't think it is a good idea for a puppy to jump from that high. Personal story-- I started snowboarding pretty young and I got into the big airs and I was getting over 6 feet out of the half-pipe and now I am 24 with arthritis. So I don't think it is good to have him compressing his joints when they are still developing.
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Performance Spaniels

I was refused agility classes until my pup is a year by 3 different schools. I was told that you need to wait until the growth plates close before jumping/ anything above normal excercising. I've since found puppy agility in which all the equipment is like 1/3 or so the size, but I'm not sure your dog should even be doing 2 foot jumps regularly, let alone jumping off a 5 ft deck 2-3 times per day.
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Arf! Arf!

Thanx for the replies.

Vet repeated the same thing you guys said.

Jumping at that height at ANY AGE is not good for a large breed dog.

Any ideas on how to keep him from doing this short of keeping him on a leash 24/7 ?

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Can't put a kiddie door gate in there?