Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:13 AM

Exclamation Finding my dogs history

We have just taken a dog out of a bad home and as far as we know she has been chipped.
We have been told that she is a cross between a Cairn Terrier and a Yorkshire Terrier and is 4 years old,we believe she is a pedigree and maybe younger.
Is there any way we can have her chip checked and also can we find out from the information given at time of chipping if she is a crossbreed or a pedigree and then if she is a pedigree can we then re-register her with the kennel club in our name.

Thanks for any answers,,Lenny
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome Lenny! First off thank you so much for being willing to help out a poor dog in this situation!

If your dog is chipped you should be able to go to any vet and have them scan the dog. I am pretty sure there are many type of chip scanner's but in Canada they have a universal type as well. The vet may be able to reccomend other ways or locations for you! The chips can move around a bit so make sure they do a thorough scan.

As for the breed you can pay for a DNA test. Its fairly new I think here in Canada but I will look for the info I have and try to post it for you. It may be later on today. The test is done by taking a swab of the dogs mouth and sending into a lab and they break it down for you and send you a ceritficate of the breed info.

Hope this helps! Hope yoll stick around as we have lots of great info here and a wonderful cyber family! Oh! and I might as well ask first..pictures please!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Lenny, congratulations on your new family member. I wish you years of health and happiness.

I adopted a 4 year-old Scottie (we shared nearly 7 years together). She was a purebred dog and was available for adoption when her first owner passed away. I got her from a group who was familiar with her owner and I know she was a loved little girl and never mistreated. We didn't get her registration papers from the SPCA. She had an unusual name and we did search to see if we could find any information regarding her papers or pedigree. We found nothing. In the end, it didn't matter. A piece of paper would not make us love her more.

If your dog is a mixed-breed, she won't have papers--at least not from a reputable registry. I would want to have the chip scanned and find out how to have her information put in your name, however. You would not want her returned to her previous bad home in the event she gets loose. Knowing the age is at best a guess. When I took my rescue to the vet for the first time, he told us that she was 7-years-old (her teeth weren't very good). We were given her medical record from her previous vet and we had the month and year of her birth. She wasn't the healthiest little dog and I believe my vet's guess was more accurate for her physical condition even though it didn't match the chronological age. My vet did a physical assessment (where he gave the age guess), then studied her records and did a more comprehensive physical noting things from her chart.

The DNA tests seem interesting and would be worth investigating. If you go this route, I hope you are willing to post about your experience with this. I think many of us would find this interesting. Good luck with your new pooch.