Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I need some brainstorming

As most of you know I have my visitor back in with my catty cats. He is definitely an intact male. I can get within two or three feet of him and then he takes off like a shot. He is basically a feral cat if he is the one that the horse woman down the road got last year that stuck around for a whole two days before taking off. He has been on his own for quite some time. I think given time he would let me get nearer but I would like to get him health tested and fixed before he infects my other cats.

What I need help brainstorming are ideas to help me trap him. I have put my live trap in the catuary and have to keep removing my other ones. They think it's a game. We have thought about putting the trap up on the roof of the smaller house seeing as he spends so much time up there but I am afraid that if he panics once in it he may roll it off the roof. I don't want him injured. I am off tomorrow. I need to spend quite a bit of time over there anyway cleaning so will try the trap again. That way when the others trip it I can shoo them away. I need "Ethel" here to help me!!!!!!!

I am hoping I am off next Sunday so I can get Orbit and the momma in to get fixed. Momma is definitely pregnant and by far more than two weeks! It woud be wonderful if I could take Jupiter (the other black on in the catuary) with them.

One a good note.. Orbit was purring this morning!! It was a pretty rusty purr but it was a purr!!
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

well, this is going to sound cruel 14+, but if he's ferel he likes to eat live food. Get a much smaller cage and put a live mouse in it and set it inside the live trap. The cat won't be able to get to the mouse, but you can bet he'll go inside the trap to try.

clm
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM

hmm how many other cats are in there? Could you trap and move them somewhere else temporarily so only he can set off the trap?
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
well, this is going to sound cruel 14+, but if he's ferel he likes to eat live food. Get a much smaller cage and put a live mouse in it and set it inside the live trap. The cat won't be able to get to the mouse, but you can bet he'll go inside the trap to try.

clm
Now that's not a bad idea clm! Wonder if I can "borrow" a mouse from the pet store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfurlove View Post
hmm how many other cats are in there? Could you trap and move them somewhere else temporarily so only he can set off the trap?
Also an idea worth merit. However, not easily done. I don't want to close them into their house in hot weather for a long time. It's hard to say how hard this guy will be to catch. As to how many.. 16.

I will be trying any and all humane ideas this week in an effort to catch him so keep them coming!!
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Is it possible to secure the trap with ropes or bungee cord to the roof of the house in a way that prevents it from rolling off?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Is it possible to secure the trap with ropes or bungee cord to the roof of the house in a way that prevents it from rolling off?
Not a bad idea. My stepson thought of that one but he thought of nails. I don't want nails poking holes through the shingles. Will have to ask hubby if he has any bungees long enough to go over the roof.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
-

14k - Maybe you could ask at your local HS if they have a net that they use for catching small animals.....It is a large net that has a drawstring attachment...apparently they are quite effecient...
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If all else fails, any way you could borrow 17 traps? The catty cats wouldn't be able to spring all of them.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
-

I thought of the bungees and the net but don't have any other ideas so I'll just wish you good luck.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
-

Quote:
well, this is going to sound cruel 14+, but if he's ferel he likes to eat live food. Get a much smaller cage and put a live mouse in it and set it inside the live trap.

clm
Name:  5kenrw9ecy.gif
Views: 268
Size:  49.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I thought of the bungees and the net but don't have any other ideas so I'll just wish you good luck.
Bungees
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Could you put the trap outside the caturary? Maybe along the route he takes to get inside the catuary...with something really stinky inside...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
You know bungees Chris. They are what is keeping the gate closed on the catuary. Y'know, the ones you bugged me about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Could you put the trap outside the caturary? Maybe along the route he takes to get inside the catuary...with something really stinky inside...
Since he escaped the last time I fixed the fence with a much heavier fencing. He then went over the fence a couple weeks later. He can not chew through this stuff unless he has teeth of steel. He's inside with the rest of the gang. No escaping.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You know bungees Chris. They are what is keeping the gate closed on the catuary. Y'know, the ones you bugged me about.

I know, but Rainbow wants you to catch him with bungee cords
If you can get a net 14k, they work, they are like large fishing nets on a pole, whoop it over him an pull the drawstring and he won't be able to get out....or shouldn't be able to get out.
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ahh, gotcha! I thought you didn't know what they were and I'm thinking wow, someone's got a short memory. The bungee cords were to attach the trap to the roof of the small shed because that's where he is a lot of the time.
Thanks for the tip on the net. I will phone HS tomorrow and see if I can borrow one. I am hoping with me being over there tomorrow cleaning most of the day that he may go in the trap. I am putting it in tonight not set. Then I would just have to get him from the net into the crate or carrier.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. Hopefully one of them will work.
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
-

Quote:
Ahh, gotcha! I thought you didn't know what they were and I'm thinking wow, someone's got a short memory. The bungee cords were to attach the trap to the roof of the small shed because that's where he is a lot of the time.

Oooooooooooo, I see.....I had visions of you tying the bungees together and making a lasso and catching him that way

Thanks for all the great ideas folks. Hopefully one of them will work.
Good Luck 14k...keep us posted....Oh and take pics of your endeavours
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Good Luck 14k...keep us posted....Oh and take pics of your endeavours
Will do. If I can get my camera working. It is having hissyfits lately. One time it's good. Next time it won't take pics. Time for a new one and birthday is coming soon.

Now I am heading out to give evening food and snacks.
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry, don't have any ideas, but wish you luck. With Rose the only thing she couldn't resist was raw chicken given to her when she was extra hungry. She eventually went inside the carrier to get it and we slammed the door shut. In your case, it would be the trap.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

If you have any intact/in heat/preggo females, try putting some of their urine soaked litter into a trap - he's bound to go sniffing, thinking 'bout love Prehaps try a few traps with the urine litter, see if he will walk into one?
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Slave to the Kitties

You wouldnt happen to have a dart gun laying around anywhere would you ?
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Oh, I didn't realize he was inside all the time

Maybe get a friend and as perviously mentioned, a dog catcher net...one of you coax him over with food and the other drop the net over him from behind...then put a blankie over him so he calms down enough to crate...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If all else fails, any way you could borrow 17 traps? The catty cats wouldn't be able to spring all of them.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM
150% PRO S/N

Well, so far I am trying the urine soaked litter. It's been there since this morning when I went to feed the kitties. I have trapped Spazzy, Meowzer, Tinker and Duece. I have shooed away the rest of the kitties. Except for....... Jupiter. He has decided he does not want to come off the roof. Silly boy.

I still have a few days. I will be contacting the HS tomorrow before work. I have a feral cat meeting tonight so will ask if anyone happens to have a net or something. It is at a vets so maybe she has something. The other ideas will be tried as well. If all else fails I may try putting the new momma over in a carrier that is set up near the trap. Of course I will not be going anywhere if I do that. I can stay out of sight for a while. I don't know if she is pregnant if she is still emitting those wonderful scents.

Internet has just come back since that storm last night. Not good!! And they are calling for severe storms again tonight.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Funny lady! Umm, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Maybe get a friend and as perviously mentioned, a dog catcher net...one of you coax him over with food and the other drop the net over him from behind...then put a blankie over him so he calms down enough to crate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Sorry, don't have any ideas, but wish you luck. With Rose the only thing she couldn't resist was raw chicken given to her when she was extra hungry. She eventually went inside the carrier to get it and we slammed the door shut. In your case, it would be the trap.
No coaxing this guy. I wish. He goes the other way. Not curious enough to care about food. Although raw might help. The biggest issue is the other kitties. I am not about to lock them into their house in this heat. Just not fair to them. Not to mention not healthy. Wonder if that net has a very long pole..... Add Li'l Bit to the kitties who got curious enough to see the inside of the trap.

The urine litter didn't work. He walked right past the trap a few times. I am thinking he's been trapped before and let go.
Tomorrow is another day... will try again.
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Now that's not a bad idea clm! Wonder if I can "borrow" a mouse from the pet store?
If you did, you'd be returning it dead - of a heart attack

Fish is definately smellier than chicken you might try some canned salmon or tuna

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:54 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Fish is definately smellier than chicken you might try some canned salmon or tuna
Baiting the trap is not my issue growler. That I know how to do in spades. I use catnip too if all else fails. My problem is having to continually take my other guys out of the trap because they are so snoopy.
I may just have to wait for a cooler day and put the rest of them into their house for a while. Maybe then he would be considerate enough to get himself trapped. That is if all the other ideas fail.
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a smart dude this guy is

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I've got no suggestions, as I would have no clue how to get this guy in the trap. Seems like he's survived out there because he's a smart boy.

I'll send some good vibes and hopefully you'll be able to catch him soon. Good luck
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
What a smart dude this guy is
Thanks L4. But remember it took me almost three years to convince Li'l Momma :sad: to go into the trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I've got no suggestions, as I would have no clue how to get this guy in the trap. Seems like he's survived out there because he's a smart boy.

I'll send some good vibes and hopefully you'll be able to catch him soon. Good luck
Thanks AG!