Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

awe Onster! thats probably why she is sleeping! shes an elderly gal!

stupid owners!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

ok the mom came and picked him up. The cat growled at and wouldnt come to her at first!!! then a few mins later he warmed up to her. . She asked me if i wanted him or knew of someone who did, she said they like him but her daughter got a dog (??). Apparently its a male???? she was sure it was her cat, his name is Nikko.

She thinks he's begining to get alzheimers, she says he seems confused. Indoor outdoor. I suggested keeping him indoors she said he really wants to go out. I strongly suggested microchip or at least collar..she said this is the 2nd time he got lost ...they'll consider 'something' if he gets lost again. I dont know why not this time.

I gave her the name of pet patrol and told her to try them if she really needs to rehome.

:sad:

I dont even know what to say....*sigh*

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They don't want a cat they had for 16 years????

do you think you could have 3

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I know L4H, I know.

I wish I could, but with me going off to Uni in the fall in a teeny appartment 2 is all i can do. My mom will likely travel and lil bro wont care for cats.

If i was living on my own and had a job already (not dependent on parents financially) i would so take him in on the spot. I mean I dont think they abuse him or anything but they obviously don't think about cat ownership the way I/ we on this site do.

When it was clear she wasnt get a microchip anytime soon i even suggested a collar at the very least, she said well ya we will have to consider something if he gets lost again.... seriously how much is a collar!!!!

Old August 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

oh and probably the worst thing, which i forgot about till now..when she first came in she said he had been misssing, she 'thought he had gone away to die'.

Old August 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Crap! What is wrong with people? GGGrrrrrrr that makes me so angry!

Now if the cat gets lost again is she hoping he gets killed as he still won't be wearing a collar?

He leaves home cause he is getting no attention there. He was probably sleeping so much on your bed cause he was too scared to sleep outside...poor kitty. And obvisouly he didn't reocgnize the lady's voice that picked him up and he lives with her?? thatt's just weird.

Willie remembers the contractor that worked on our house 5 years ago and hasn't seen Tony is 5 years. But when Tony was here in June Willie crawled all over him meowing and giving kisses.

Why wouldn't a person that lived with Nikko be remembered by him? Just strange.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Tundra_queen, she shrugged it off as him being confused as he gets older, she said "cats are supposed to know how to get home but I think he forgets now". He was basically going door to door meowing. She also said that he probably didnt want to go because we fed him, she started to say something about the dog but then the topic changed. I hope she wasnt gonna say the dog was eating his food!!! He really ate a lot but not all at once. He ate half a can of food, then another 1/4, then about 1.5 cups of dry food over the span of a few hours.

I asked her how did you get him back the last time he was lost? she said oh people didnt find him we just found him under a tree that time, all confused.

Poor poor thing. I have no doubt she's his owner i just dont think he wanted to go back home She was at the bottom of the stairs and he was laying down at the top. I tried to carry him to bring him to her he growled and Id been carrygn him around before (to put him in carrier, to put him on bed, in litter box) he didnt growl. Then even tho he was halfway down the stairs he went back upstairs. Layed down again then the lady called for him and he wasnt responding at all, then my mom called him and he walked towards my mom!!! at this point the lady just grabbed him really. While we were talking tho she was stroking him and he started to purr tho and was relaxed again.

I dunno when I put my cats in my boarding and i pick them up they act like they dont know me at first

I really thought he was a girl too..guess he had really tiny man bits (so def neutered) The thing is tho when i said he was a female she said no hes a male..or were pretty sure hes a male. Im pretty sure he's a male. Ud think she'd know for sure if he'd been to vets though and there i was thinking he was preg at first lol

Old August 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Gee I hope she has the right cat!

I don't know why people seem to think cats know how to get home if they aren't outdoor cats? *sigh* I just hope he will be ok.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i asked her like 10 times if she was sure he was her cat, she said yeah, definately her cat.

Id be really really surprised if someone didnt knwo their cat that was lost 2 days ago!!!

I wish the best for him since he's indoor/outdoor, ill keep any eye open for him.

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sigh...

NO words... :sad:

for the old dear!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Catlover2

Poor Nikko :sad: Growling? running back up the stairs? Ignoring his owner? Nikko showed he really didn't want to go home with "her". Maybe the new dog is harassing him? If he shows up at your doorstep again, please take him in , do find a good rescue place and take him there with no comment to owner. His present owner has no interest or compassion for this old sweet guy. He deserves to live out his senior years peacefully and happily. That's what I'd do.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

wow i've had a bad couple days and this one just made me cry again. 16 years with a cat and they just let it wonder off by itself!!! what kind of people are they? that cat should be kept inside on a nice comfy couch. poor thing! tossed aside because they got a "new puppy" even if i found a brand new baby kitten and my cats were 20 they would never be pushed aside for the "newest thing" people like this make me want to strangle them. do they have any idea what they have?

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I hope they dont let him back out
He looks very healthy for 16, I doubt he'd be going off to die anytime soon....probably just wants away from annoying puppy and family
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Poor Nikko :sad: Growling? running back up the stairs? Ignoring his owner? Nikko showed he really didn't want to go home with "her". Maybe the new dog is harassing him? If he shows up at your doorstep again, please take him in , do find a good rescue place and take him there with no comment to owner. His present owner has no interest or compassion for this old sweet guy. He deserves to live out his senior years peacefully and happily. That's what I'd do.
I agree ...if he shows up again I would take him to that pet patrol rescue you mentioned.

His current family does not deserve him at all. :sad:
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah, i hear u all. Definately if he comes by again ill call the rescue

MWW

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Aaaaand he's back :(

And he wants in...and its midnight even tho i have his owners number i cant really call them.

.....i know i said id call the resuce if he came again but i think, unlike what his owner was telling me, he does not have alzheimers..he's just an indoor outdoor kitty who was lacking some attention at home and found it elsewhere. Morally Im having issues taking him away from a home..no matter how crappy it may be.

I think at this point in time since I cant bring him in and cant call his owners, im just gonna see what happens come 8am this morning..i'll call the owners then. If hes still here they can pick him up again..if he's back home I'll know he was just visiting.

My mom gave him food, he scarfed it down. I'm thinking that might not have been the best idea because it will just encourage him to keep coming back....my dad will *not* like us being this boy's nightly meal.

This is him when I first went out after hearing the incessant meowing outside and going outside to investigate. Purr machine.
Name:  6009_234962665430_502380430_8169684_5798141_n.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  32.4 KB

Chowing down.
Name:  6009_234962715430_502380430_8169692_7453855_n.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  26.9 KB

*sigh* I think weve been adopted. It'll probably be like the situation u described benmax, with him coming by for cuddles and food. Unfortunately, like i said dad wont be pleased with us encouraging him by feeding him so dont think that'll happen. Omg he's meowing again now...

Last edited by onster; August 12th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I called the owners just now...no answer.

Well, he's gone in any case..i'm thinking i'll def be seeing him again.

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Tough situation, onster . I know you will do what is best for the kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks L4H

Im really torn...i dont even know what's right :sad:

He slept on our driveway for a good hour before continuing on his way.

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
-

Don't beat yourself up Onster, maybe you can keep an eye on him and in the meantime get in touch with the rescue you mentioned, then if he continues coming around see if they will take him....It appears that the family is not that perturbed about him that's for sure

He doesn't look 16 years old to me.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks chris..ill see if he keeps coming by. my mom said the mom said they had him for 10 yrs and they got him when he was 6..so at least say 12..

He doesnt look old to me either but I did notice he goes down stairs gently/ funny. He kind of hops.

Old August 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
thanks chris..ill see if he keeps coming by. my mom said the mom said they had him for 10 yrs and they got him when he was 6..so at least say 12..

He doesnt look old to me either but I did notice he goes down stairs gently/ funny. He kind of hops.
Maybe he was a Bunny in a previous life
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

lol maybe

i found out from lil bro he was still hanging out in front of our house at 3am I heard him meowing around 11:30pm funny i didnt go to bed till i saw him leave at 1:30 or so..he mustve come back.

lil bro came back home then

seriously i think kitty has adopted us.`

Old August 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

do u all think we should still feed him?

Old August 13th, 2009, 01:25 PM
-

Is he back there again right now? He doesn't look thin so I wouldn't feed him every time he comes.

It doesn't appear that the owner really gives a hoot where her cat is at all so I would call and tell her that if he continues to come you will be getting in touch with the rescue.
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

It's kind of up to you, I have a neighbourhood cat that does the same, he comes around for treats and pets and snuggles because his owners are too busy with new twins for him.... plus he's outside more than inside most of the time, so I go out when he comes and feed him some treats and sit and pet him a while.... I like to know for myself that he is at least getting some attention and affection from somewhere. It makes it a little easier to shut the door on him at night. :sad:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M