Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Found cat, what should I do??

My mom woke me up today yelling at me there was meowing outside our front door, to go see what cat its coming from.

Put something on my pyjamas and ran out didnt see anything but had whiskas treats in hand, went down the court and out runs this cat from the neighbours bushes. This cat was going door to door according to my mom (looking out from her window).

The cat (she) followed me into the backyard purring all the way. I gave her some canned food which she ate half of and lotsa treats. The HS wont take her I have to go drive her to kitchener but I cant do that today. She may be pregnant or just a bit of a fatty im not sure...not heavily pregnant if she is.

I called my vet they said I could bring her in for a scan then they would call the HS and they would pick her up.

The thing is the HS made it a point to tell me they were packed and overflowing..im torn.

The cat isnt skinny/hurt anything nor did it finish the whole can of food...maybe she's not lost and belongs to someone in the 'hood (never seen her before, no collar). Ive never really known indoor outdoor cats to be friendly to strangers tho..no idea. I mean what if I get her to the HS then they put her down...ahhh..

Im thinking the only real option is to take her to my vet and go from there, maybe she'll have a chip..just thinking outloud. Worried bout getting her into the carrier tho.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited by onster; August 7th, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Update: my mom says she saw this cat less than a week ago on a morning she was taking lil bro to uni. She said she was in the street walking alongside a couple, maybe their owners?? or maybe just following them.

If shes been lost for a week tho wouldnt she be starving??? and eat the whole can I mean..she was hungry but not like famished. ...Now im even more confused. I dont know if shes lost/indoor/outoor

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Pics

why i think she might be pregnant...or fat..im not sure.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  33.4 KB

friendly girl
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  49.1 KB

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ask Bunduk and Onnie if they want a little sister

I would do the same as if you lost a kitty. Contact the shelter to report a found kitty and take it to your vet to have it scanned for a chip. Maybe put up a poster at some of your local mail boxes.

If you leave her out, I would be afraid of a car hitting her :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Check her nipples to see if they are swollen and red, that is the first sign of pregnancy.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

so everytime i go into the house (kitchen where i can look out) she goes into the tree line and i think she went away. I go out and she comes out meowing....im still torn as to what to do, especially since my mom saw her before...

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  31.9 KB

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, what a little sweetie. She is owned by somebody and hasn't been gone too long. Any new neighbours move in lately?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
-

Maybe you could make up some posters Onster...she could be an indoor/outdoor cat and left out for the day when her peeps go to work ....all shelters right now have cats coming out of the ying yang, it's that time of year :sad:
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

but im afriad to bring her in L4H....i saw her sneezing twice, what if she transfers soemthing to my cats?? Ill def have her checked for a chip but the question from there is whether to let them call the HS and have them take her ( where there is the possibility she may be euth for room) or to leave her in my yard for a while..which sounds horrible but i just cant help but to think shes not lost? I'll check her nipples now.

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

no new neighbours I know of....i know someone who had a cat who recently went away for holidays, dunno what it looked like but know it was female...that's about it. See thats why im torn she doesnt look lost and starving o anything so im afraid to take action and really just take her away from her home :sad: oh and her nipples seem fine guess its prob fat. i always look at lost and found posters chris and i havent seen a lost one of her.

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
-

Maybe she isn't lost Onster and like I said, let out daily....if she didn't eat as if she was starving, I would think that she is getting fed, she looks in good body shape...sigh.

You could try just seeing what she does, but like L4H said if something were to happen to her then you would feel responsible :sad:...it's a hard call Onster, I feel for you.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll tell you what I did once. There was a cat that kept coming to my door for cuddles and food. He seemed nice and clean but after weeks of not knowing I really thought he may be a stray. I put a collar on him with one of those bullet notes. On the note, I said 'if this cat is yours, let me know'. I got a 'note' back in the bullet saying 'he is mine, mind your business'.

Ok - so I got the message loud and clear.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

ok then

so I took her to the vet and they checked her for 2 different chips but nothing. Right now im on the laptop on my bed and shes cuddled at my feet vet tech also thinks that if she's lost she hasnt been lost very long. They suggested I make posters and go from there, then at least when/if I take her to the HS I wont feel so bad about it. My allergies are acting up already tho *sneezes*. Oh boy.

*sigh*

Oh and i thought she had litter stuck to her bum but the vet tech pulled lots out, they were teeny tiny burs.

im 90% sure now that she's someone's cat in the neighborhood and is pretty unloyal lol (like already sleeping on my bed yeesh haha) but i want to find out who so i can tell them to at least get her a chip!!! bahh

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

lol benmax thats tooo funny!! hahaha

actually i was thinking of putting a collar on her with a note and letting her out in the mostly secure yard...cuz i really think she has a home so hopefully she'd go back and then they'd see the note.

Then again what if she does get hurt or something .....

stupid people microchip ure cats at the very least except i know that when i didnt know any better my Ty didnt have a microchip/collar and was indoor outdoor :sad:

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Now i just have to wait for bro to come home in a few hours to make a poster. Using new pc with no microsoft office yet so cant make one myself...

thanks everyone for your advice and help! Question: how would I accurately describe this cat's colouring/pattern to the HS?

Oookay then kitty doesnt like Onnie, hissed through the door then started growling!

Last edited by onster; August 7th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would say she is white with brown tabby markings.

If she is not lost and there are no new neighbours I would have thought you would have seen this kitty before .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM

gray brown tabby tuxedo? Is there anyway you could e-mail them a picture of her so they can see what she looks like?
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Molly's mama

so you have her in the house now! ? haha. that's great. I think the collar is a good idea, but then you would be risking her getting hit by a car. Its a tough situation. What do your parents think??
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

shes alseep on my bed, onnie is trying to ram down the door poor onnie he's so friendly but other kitty doesnt like him. Typical female shes just ignoring his pitiful meowing and crying, barely opening an eyelid..lol.

i gotta go out soon, to the gym (have session w trainer) then i think when i get back im gonna take her to the HS. talked to another woman there and she told me the will keep her 48 hours then if not claimed if shes not agressive or sick she goes up for adoption. Shes def not agressive and didnt look sick to the vet tech or to me...so i think ill have to go that way.

At the same time ill put up lotsa posters and if anyone contacts me ill direct them to the HS.

My mom is torn. We cant have here, we have so much going on and I cant babysit her (kitty). We 100% cant keep her. She wants me to take her to the HS but she said if the HS will euth her then she thinks i should put her back in the yard.....or she says we could try calling friends to see if anyone will keep her.

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I would say she is white with brown tabby markings.

If she is not lost and there are no new neighbours I would have thought you would have seen this kitty before .
ok i told them that, thanks. I have no idea about her i honestly never saw her before and im always spotting cats. Just saw a siamese the other day walking around. Theres a lot of homes around tho i dunno. Like i said my mom says she saw her less than a week ago walking in the street, at least she thinks it was her. I have to say if she's not lost then shes very very very easygoing. Within a minute of being on my room she decided it was old news and jumped onto my bed for a nap. Purring like mad, kneeding. Sometimes she goes and lays her head on my lap. A real sweetie pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
gray brown tabby tuxedo? Is there anyway you could e-mail them a picture of her so they can see what she looks like?
I asked she told me she has a binder of lost cats. She told me Id have to come in and give a poster.

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm wondering, would anyone be able to help me make a quick poster? I called my bro and he wont be home till the evening so I cant make a poster till then (to use his pc). I would really appreciate it so I can put out posters b4 dark....thanks so much!

I gotta go to the gym now but ill be back in an hour....

nervmidn bout the poster, i suckered my friend into doing it!! thanks again all. Kitty is eating again yeesh what a fatty.

Last edited by onster; August 7th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Hey Onster, thank you for helping her
I work at KWHS, Im off til Monday but if you do bring her in I promise to give her some extra lovin for you
I also live in the neighbourhood she was found. Have you put up or checked for a flier at Zehrs Erb/Fischer Hallman, and Food Basics at Fischer Hallman/University?
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey allfurlove! thank you sooo much for replying, youve really put me at ease. Awesome that were neighbours - i live in beechwood west.

I havent made a poster yet since i dont have office on this pc, my friend said she would but she hasnt yet. Im gonna have to wait till lil bro comes home I guess and hten ill print out a bunch. First place I thought was zehrs, does the food basics have a bulletin board? Ill also give a poster to my vet (beechwood west animal hospital) and put some up on nearby mailboxes. Maybe also the pet food stores like the pet valu on erb.

I just got back from the gym and she was alseep on my bed. She got up ate from bowl of food (she has eaten like 4 times already!!!) then hopped back onto my bed. Onnie is wanting in my room :sad: He doesnt understand why mommy and kitteh dont wanna play

Last edited by onster; August 7th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

allfurlove, do u think i should try the petpatrol rescue http://www.petpatrol.ca/ ? They are no kill and have their cats at the pet valus. when I called the HS they said theyre not affiliated and couldnt give me any info...do u know if theyre a good organisation? im worried this kitty has a bit of an upper respiratory. Shes sneezed a few times. She wont get put down for that at HS will she?

Last edited by onster; August 7th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Some more pics...

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  41.3 KB

All this girl wants to do is sleep! Only thing she's done since i brought her in is sleep/ get up and eat then sleep again is that possibly a sign that she really is lost??
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  46.2 KB

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Try VKR Kittens in Manitock. This guy is amazing..grumpy but amazing. If no one claims this cat, and you can get him there - then this kitty would be very lucky. I cannot however do more than this from Montreal. But I think it's worth a try.
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks so much benmax..manitock? is that a city? ill google it. I know petparol is in elmira and i always see their cats in the pet valu near my home...i just wondered if anyone could personally vouch for them? I also like that they spay/neuter b4 adoption and put in foster homes (HS does not & not affiliated wit any rescues).

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

gtg for now my mom is gonna get really mad if i just stay holed up in my room all day with kitty. Im tryign to convince mom for us to keep her at least the day to give time for the owners to look for her & see my posters/be concerned (so they dont miss the 48hr thing at the HS when i bring her in).

Im gonna go make myself useful. back later.

Old August 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
allfurlove, do u think i should try the petpatrol rescue http://www.petpatrol.ca/ ? They are no kill and have their cats at the pet valus. when I called the HS they said theyre not affiliated and couldnt give me any info...do u know if theyre a good organisation? im worried this kitty has a bit of an upper respiratory. Shes sneezed a few times. She wont get put down for that at HS will she?
Yes definetely try the rescue! I have never dealt with them but have seen their cats and they sem very loving just by their detailed cat descriptions
If she has an URI, they will put her in isolation and she will be started on medication, but if it doesnt clear up after the first round of meds, there is a chance she could be pts :sad:
One of my cats had upper resp and it cleared right up after a few doses, but you just never know. And being stressed doesnt help :sad:
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

ok so i may have found her owners. I was in the yard with my cats (to get their mind off the no access to my room and strange kitty) and someone called the house talked to my mom.

Their cat is 16 yrd old missing for 2 days, the girl is walking over now. Heres the cincher, we can have the cat if we want, they love her but they have a new dog.

Ummmm...

yeah..lets see how this plays out.