Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sooooo happy!!

I am so happy and excited I could just bust!!

Darby just started to play with a toy!!! This is the first time ever in 16 days she has even be interested in a toy never mind smacked it around!!

The thought of her not knowing how to play with toys has really been upsetting me as I was thinking of her being in such a sterile world before she got to me that she didn't even know how to play.

So I don't know if she has learned from watching the other cats or if she knew all along, but she played for the first time in 16 days!! Not for very long,,,but it was definately play!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:01 AM

How exciting!

Have you tried a toy on a string? My friend's cat who was rescued at the age of 9 from a BYB didn't know how to play either, that toy on a string really got her engaged in play!

Good luck!
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:21 AM
-

WOOO HOOO Darby .....we told you it would just take a little time.

But where's the pics?
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_85 View Post
How exciting!

Have you tried a toy on a string? My friend's cat who was rescued at the age of 9 from a BYB didn't know how to play either, that toy on a string really got her engaged in play!

Good luck!
I did try a string toy, she did take a swing at it once, but that was all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
WOOO HOOO Darby .....we told you it would just take a little time.

But where's the pics?
Yep u told me and she has really been watching the others play with those springs u sent too. So I'm hoping soon she will try those.

I didn't even think of the camera...first I thought it was Mirabelle playing...until I looked in the pillow behind me and Mirabelle was there. I was so busy telling Darby what a good girl she was and to get the toy...didn't even think of the camera...I was too excited!

Friday morning I thought Darby was playing with a toy...ball in a round plastic thing that the ball doesn't come out off. I was telling Darby what a good cat she was and how clever and she kept looking up at me with this strange expression on her face. Thought the expression was a bit strange......until I realized it was MIRABELLE! And every time I said Darby...she's looking up at me as if to say... Mom are u on drugs? It's me! Mirabelle! Pay ATTENTION!
It cracked me up when I realized it was Mirabelle giving me a strange look! I didn't know cats could do facila epxressions....

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

You must really be on !

Pretty soon they will both be running around playing and sharing their toys together all night!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post

You must really be on !

Pretty soon they will both be running around playing and sharing their toys together all night!
I can hardly wait! Today I think Darby was "trying" to play with O'Shaswnnessey, but OS wasn't sure either. She kept smacking at him really fast and hiding under the covers on the other side of the chair where he was hiding. Her tail wasn't moving fast but I'm not sure if she knows cat body language.

Mirabelle and her both share a blanket on our bed at night and mirabelle puts her head on Darby's butt when sleeping, so that is a very good sign. I only let the girls come into the bedroom at the moment though as the boys are still too rough, especially willie. But it looks like things are going well. *touch wood*

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

WAHOO!!!!! I am so happy. It is a great feeling isn't it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM

Awwww thats Great news , must be lovely to see

Soooo pleased for you and Darby
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Go Darby! She's probably feeling more comfortable with her surroundings so she's allowing herself new experiences.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is great news! And the fact that the girls are sleeping together, excellent!!
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
WAHOO!!!!! I am so happy. It is a great feeling isn't it.
Thanks. It is wonderful! I hope it keeps going this smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Go Darby! She's probably feeling more comfortable with her surroundings so she's allowing herself new experiences.
Yes, I think she is. She is even eating in the kitchen with the others now. I hac to carry her dish upstairs before cause she wouldn't eat when the others were around. I don't feed her close to the others, just in case, but it's all in the same room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
That is great news! And the fact that the girls are sleeping together, excellent!!
I always wanted twins...now I have them. Just the 4 legged kind.

Thanks hunnybunny, I'm very pleased too.

My little grand daughter said to me today...well Nannie when u get your next kitty they will all fit on the new kitty tree. I just said noooo more kitties I think I'm at my limit...son said thank goodness. But then of course I had to say...well unless one really needed me.

He of course said...under his breath.. oh boy

This is the new kitty tree we are working on. We both have back diseases so can only do a bit once a week. Please excuse the mess. Not much space to work in the family room.

Debbie
Attached Images

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, way to go, Darby!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
-

TQ, that is one awesome kitty tree.

And, YAY for Darby and Mirabelle snoozin' together.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

TQI'm so happy to hear that your kitty Darby took to playing, but what really thrills me, is your excitement about it. You obviously love your kitties to bits and that warms the heart!
Hopefully Darby will play more and more, and will provide you with hours of entertainment that will make your heart smile.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
TQ, that is one awesome kitty tree.

And, YAY for Darby and Mirabelle snoozin' together.
Thanks...the tree isn't close to being finished yet. But I worry about son's back so I'm not pushing him. It weighs a ton already and I hope we will be able to push it back to wear the old one is with the broken platform the "kids" destroyed by using it as a dicing platfrom from the top platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
TQI'm so happy to hear that your kitty Darby took to playing, but what really thrills me, is your excitement about it. You obviously love your kitties to bits and that warms the heart!
Hopefully Darby will play more and more, and will provide you with hours of entertainment that will make your heart smile.

Oh yes, I love my furkids to bits! My son is jealous!

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Darby decided to play a bit today when I threw one of the springs that rainbow sent onto the floor. This time I grabbed my camera.

Debbie
Attached Images

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, good going Darby. Springs are fun to play with

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
-

YAY Darby ....that made my day.
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

rainbow I tried to get action shots, but my camera just isn't fast enough...or maybe it is me.

I went to Walmart today and picked up some wand toys for her too. So I'm hoping using those will teach her how to play more.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

TQ, I HAVE been 'vatching you' (wo, that sounds a tad sinister , but ya know what I mean, in the BB sense); sorry not to have posted much. I'm truly not that self-absorbed in ye olde feral thread...more that ze farm disaster zone ees sooo enervating.

BUT, look at you, and yer critters ! Such great progress with Darby; amazing how little increments can add up, and be so gratifying! I'm muy impressed with, and jealous of (in a good way ) your cat tree in progress.

Did you fell a stand of timber up there in north country? Them logs/posts are humungous! And don't apologize for the state of your family room; puh-leeze, y'all know KK sets the [LOW] standard in terms of sheer squalor these days!

Anyhow, congrats and 'you go, Darby'...nice pics, too!
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtin's kin View Post
TQ, I HAVE been 'vatching you' (wo, that sounds a tad sinister , but ya know what I mean, in the BB sense); sorry not to have posted much. I'm truly not that self-absorbed in ye olde feral thread...more that ze farm disaster zone ees sooo enervating.

BUT, look at you, and yer critters ! Such great progress with Darby; amazing how little increments can add up, and be so gratifying! I'm muy impressed with, and jealous of (in a good way ) your cat tree in progress.

Did you fell a stand of timber up there in north country? Them logs/posts are humungous! And don't apologize for the state of your family room; puh-leeze, y'all know KK sets the [LOW] standard in terms of sheer squalor these days!

Anyhow, congrats and 'you go, Darby'...nice pics, too!
Thanks KK re: cat tree. And Yeah aon and I just went out to the back 50 and used an old buck saw to cut those suckers down! There was a lumberjack festival here last weekend and some of the guys dropped by and planned them square for us too! Lumberjacks and so nice and friendly. I have a soft spot for red suspenders! LMBO

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Talking

TQ, that's great about the logs, of course, but I'm a titch concerned that you may have developed a bit of a lumberjack fetish after all those years 'in the bush'. Luckily , I have created a highly effective and not prohibitively expensive 'Lumberjack DE-Obsession Program' (LDOP). Simply send a cheque for $999.99 to KK/P.O. Box 99/Mt. St. Katya/Lichtenstein...easypeasy, n'est-ce pas?! You'll be glad you did !
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashtin's kin View Post
TQ, that's great about the logs, of course, but I'm a titch concerned that you may have developed a bit of a lumberjack fetish after all those years 'in the bush'. Luckily , I have created a highly effective and not prohibitively expensive 'Lumberjack DE-Obsession Program' (LDOP). Simply send a cheque for $999.99 to KK/P.O. Box 99/Mt. St. Katya/Lichtenstein...easypeasy, n'est-ce pas?! You'll be glad you did !

But KK I like being lumberjack obsessed!! Especially when they take their shirts off and show all their rippling muscles and abs and biceps and and and..... *drool* ......you get the idea don't ya? *swoon*

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM

You do have a reason to be happy about that, imagine that after a long days of not being active now your cat is lively and playing with his fellow cats. Hope that your cat will stay like that and be more active everyday.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpostelwait31 View Post
You do have a reason to be happy about that, imagine that after a long days of not being active now your cat is lively and playing with his fellow cats. Hope that your cat will stay like that and be more active everyday.
Me too! She doesn't play very much, but she is watching the others play and tries a bit every day.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great TQ:thumbs it's the little things in life that matters the most,like a new kitty loving her home