Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 9th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Exclamation Puppy Feeding/Potty Schedule for Busy Owner

Hello!

My 5 mos. old teacup yorkie has a huge playpen (with toys, a carrier to sleep in, and food/water) that I leave her in when I am at work during the day. I leave around 8:30 am every morning and don't return home until around 6pm. On Mondays and Tuesdays I have class in the evening, and can't stop home beforehand, so I don't get home until 10pm or 11pm. On Mondays my neighbor comes by to watch her a bit in the evening.

My question is, will it be possible to train her to go outside given the long stretches of time that she will be in her playpen? Should I just use the potty pads forever, or until I am not in school anymore? Also, I leave food and water for her all day long. Should I only be feeding her at certain times and then take it away?

What does everyone else do with their dogs when they are at work? Crate? Playpen? Hired dog-walker?

I am yearning for the day that my house isn't a big poo pad!

This is my first doggy so I am a little lost. Thanks for your help!!
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM

With your schedule, it is going to be difficult to housetrain such a young puppy to go outside. Because she is such a small dog, how about papertraining her? You could provide her with a little box that she would use to do her business in. This is sometimes preferable for small dogs due to weather conditions. At least here where I am, the winters can be quite brutal for such small dogs, some refusing to go out when it is snowing or when it is really cold, even with a coat on!

Would it be possible to have your neighbour come by every day during the day and on the nights that you go to your classes? Your hours are such that she would be home way too long and wouldn't be able to hold for that long. There would definitely be accidents.

Because of her breed, I would be hesitant to only feed her in the morning and night. Many times small dogs need to be fed 3 times, especially puppies. The water should always be available to them.

I think that it may be unfair to her to ask her to wait for your return to go out to do her business. A litter box would be much better with your schedule. It is possible to train her, it just may take longer because you are not there to correct her when she does something wrong and to praise her when she does the right thing.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneCatherine
My 5 mos. old teacup yorkie has a huge playpen (with toys, a carrier to sleep in, and food/water) that I leave her in when I am at work during the day. I leave around 8:30 am every morning and don't return home until around 6pm. On Mondays and Tuesdays I have class in the evening, and can't stop home beforehand, so I don't get home until 10pm or 11pm. On Mondays my neighbor comes by to watch her a bit in the evening.
IMO, this is way too long for a pup to be alone. Dogs are social animals, they need interaction. If I were you, I'd look into doggy daycare, or having someone come in during the day, and again at night on those days you're gone for so long. Your pup will need playtime - handling - interaction.

that said, you could use pads forever. My friend does this w/ her tiny maltese. He has a designated area w/ a pad - and uses this. She simply puts down a fresh pad when soiled.

My dog is crated for 3-4 hrs each morning, then my bf comes home for lunch and either spends a whole hour w/ him (playing/walking outside) or takes him to work with him for the afternoon. My dog is never left alone for longer than 5 hrs with no one to check in on him. On days when neither of us can get home for him, he goes to daycare.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM

14 hours alone for a puppy is a LONG time. For an adult too... I'd definitely look into doggy daycare for just those two days. Since they are at the beginning of the week, doggy daycare would tire her out for the rest of the week.
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am currently looking into some puppy sitting options (though the one I found was $77 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!). I wish I could just bring her to work with me, but alas, boss says "no." What a surprise! LOL

I am hoping that I can pay one of my neighborhood friend's kids to stop by when they get home from school and give her some lovin. I will be in school for another YEARRRRRR!

I'd really like to come home one day and not have my house smell like doggy doo doo. *SIGH!* Oh, I am also in the process of potty-training the cat! He's not taking to it very well. hehe All in good time...
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I noticaed your earlier post and I think you have found the reason for the probs - your poor pup is alone too long. I have a friend who breeds Yorkes and she nearly choked when I told her your situation. You will need to find a sitter - this is a baby remember!! When I brought my Siamese kitten home, I took a week off. You may have to find the time - if you want to bring up a healthy happy and well beahved puppy!! You should have sitters and someone coming in to walk her and play with her when you are away.

That is WAY too long for that puppy to be alone - you will weither have to adjust your schedule until she is older or find someone to puppysit or find a good doggy daycare. Do you have a relative or friend who could sit - take turns?
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Don't know about the prices where you are, but doggy daycare down here would run alot less than paying $77 an hour for a pet sitter! I can put Harley in daycare with her vet (they have a boarding facility and a dogpark complete with pool!), for about $15 a day. Very reasonable.

And Prin is right about it wearing them out. After a day at doggy daycare, Harley is pretty much wiped and mellow for the next couple of days, easy.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
I noticaed your earlier post and I think you have found the reason for the probs - your poor pup is alone too long. I have a friend who breeds Yorkes and she nearly choked when I told her your situation. You will need to find a sitter - this is a baby remember!! When I brought my Siamese kitten home, I took a week off. You may have to find the time - if you want to bring up a healthy happy and well beahved puppy!! You should have sitters and someone coming in to walk her and play with her when you are away.

That is WAY too long for that puppy to be alone - you will weither have to adjust your schedule until she is older or find someone to puppysit or find a good doggy daycare. Do you have a relative or friend who could sit - take turns?
While I realize that she is home alone quite a bit - I do know that she and the cat play most of the day together, and we all have lots of play/train/attention time before and after I leave. I also have my neighbor and her kids stop in whenever they are available to give her some attention. I don't think she is a badly behaved pup at all, just having normal puppy concerns. She's actually the "teacher's pet" at puppy obedience school! She's coming along quite nicely and has adjusted very well to the schedule that we have.

I am currently looking into other alternatives for puppy sitting/walking/boarding to see if there is something within a reasonable price range in my area. I left a message for the closest sitter service yesterday and they haven't gotten back to me ! So I will keep looking. In the meantime, I am thinking to pay my neighbor's daughter to come by after school and watch the pup every day. We'll see how it works out. I will definitely keep everyone posted! Thanks for the responses!!