Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

URGENT - Abused Kitten Needs Foster Now

I received a call from a lady yesterday evening (June 2nd) who had found a very small kitten under her porch. The kitten's little face was a mess; it had either been kicked in the face or something got at it. We rushed it to the Perdriolle Vet Clinic in Ile Perrot just before closing and this morning I received the following information from the vet: The little guy is older than he looks (teeth show around 2.5 months - but he is the size of a 5-week old kitten), he is full of worms (will be dewormed), he is full of beans but needs force-feeding as his nose is all stuffed up and he can't smell his food. He can chew and swallow and seems to have a lot of life in him. Other than having a strange appearance around the mouth area, he should be able to grow up normally once he is over this hump. Problem is he will need antibiotics twice a day and force-feeding until his URI clears up. I am personally in the process of moving right now and all of my volunteers are full up with the cats that were left at the shelter when it closed on June 1st. Can someone take him today or tomorrow and continue his treatment? He really is a cute little fellow and deserves a chance.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

That is so sad! I wish I was closer to you all to help out! Please keep us posted on this poor baby! :sad:

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM

Elliot

Elliot is home now. His bottom lip is missing and what's left comes off too much from the gum. It doesn't look that bad though because there are only scabs and no open sores. He also has a few little cuts on his ear. His eyes are swollen and leaky and pretty freaky looking.

He is THE most affectionate little guy and he has been crawling all over me, nuzzling my hair and my neck. He purrs up a storm and is hungry as a hippo, whom he kind of resembles as he is a solid grey.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. I am in love. He has been sleeping in a ball on my lap for the past hour, kneading his little paws.

Lisa (and Elliot)
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

YAY Lisa!! You rock for saving ANOTHER life!!!
Old June 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Thanks again, Lisa, for saving the little guy. How is he doing today? Any pix yet?
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Willard

Okay, the little guy was renamed Willard almost immediately because the BF didn't like the name Elliot.

Willard is one of the most affectionate cats that I have ever met. He has both of us completely under his spell. We have a wonderful bed for him and a stuffed camel to keep him company. He is still isolated because of the rhino. He is sitting on my lap right now because his other favourite passtime is snuggling. Every night he falls asleep in my arms after running up and down my chest between my shoulder and my lap.

Healthwise, I think that he is improving. His lower gums still bleed even when I gently wipe them to remove the food that has accumulated in the "cut" where his bottom lip is pulled off from the gums. He eats like a little piggy and there are no more worms in his poo. His eyes are clearing up too.

He is going to see my vet tomorrow because my vet is an awesome surgeon. I think that eventually maybe Willard's lip could be stitched to the gum and pulled up (stretched) to provide more coverage. It's amazing how much a kitten needs a bottom lip to hold in food. Willard is a messy eater with the food falling out of his mouth all time but he is determined and has adapted well. Already he is learning how to use his tongue to "lap" up the food straight from the bowl instead of having me feed him with a spoon.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I wish so much he could talk and tell me what happened.

We love him so much.
Lisa.