Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

red currant bush

I have this beautiful red currant bush in my backyard, last year it was over taken by ants bringing aphids. They almost wiped out my bush. I had other things on my mind at the time, but this year I don't want the same thing to happen.
How do I get rid of the aphids?
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I found these recipes from this site...

Quote:
Home remedy for aphids. You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphid’s protective waxy coating and causes dehydration. You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions. If using these solutions on food plants, be sure to wash them before eating. If using the oil solution, don’t spray on very hot and sunny days as the oil can magnify the sun and possibly harm the plant.
If it's something I can keep an eye on and the infestation is not too bad, I'll usually just spray them off with water.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you can use mild dish soap and water and spray that on the garden plants....actually here is a good link that will give you some info..

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-aphids.htm
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's true!!! We do think alike! That's the same site I use, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

If you ever have trouble with slugs on your hostas place beer in a cap/lid and place it under the hostas and the slugs go for the beer!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks! I was hosing it down regularly, but they are pesky little things. And the ants seem to have a never ending supply of them to carry. It was surprising how fast they cleaned off the bush. I had leaves one day......and barely any the next.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old April 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston I did that,as I have several Hostas,it took a lot of my precious beerbut it works,not too attractive in your garden though,but neither is what slugs leave behind.
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM
You can call me DOG!

Back in the good ole days, Diazinon was the one thing I used but is no longer available. If you want to try a commercial product rather than homemade remedies, I use this stuff called Ambush made by Willson. It can be sprayed on ornamentals, fruits and vegetable and I use it regularly for controlling aphids.

As far as slugs in the hosta's, I bumped into my neighbor the other day and he mentioned about putting onion bulbs all around the hosta's to keep slugs away. Not only do they keep the slugs away he said, the onions can be plucked and eaten when they've grown.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)