Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM

My dog has killed my neighbour's cat...help

Hi all,

Last week my neighbour left my gate open while working on the fence. I was not aware she was in my yard. I let my dogs out not knowing the gate was left open. My lab got out and somehow caught her cat reslulting in her having to have it put down.

I didn't see it happen. She came and told me about it and took 100% responsibility for it. Even at that I offered to pay the vet bill. I feel terrible about the series of crappy events that resulted in this. She's one of the cat owners that believes it's okay for her cats to be at large. This is his first offence, he's a good dog. I think the prey instinct kicked in when he saw the cat.

Apparently one of the neighbours saw what happened and called bylaw. They have seized my dog pending assessment and I will have to go to court. I could really use some advice on what to do when I get there.

Thank you in advance
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no, how tragic for everyone involved! I'm surprised that bylaw has seized your dog though. As bad as I feel for the cat, that's the risk people take when they let their cats roam at large. It seems people tend to forget that they are still a prey animal, and that most dogs will give chase if the opportunity presents itself. I can't see how the bylaw folk can do anything to your dog based on the fact that it was doing what comes naturally. Hopefully they will be fair and rational in their assessment and this is all just a formality due to that other person's complaint. Can the neighbor who's cat it was come to your defense in court?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm really sorry this happened to you and I'm not 100% sure what advice to offer. But since this is going to 'a court' I'll assume some municipal court - try to find out what has happened in similar cases. You may need to look locally. I don't want to speculate on what your municipal bylaws might be in situations like these as some cities are stricter than others.

A written letter from your neighbour can't hurt - that's for sure.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with marko that you should get a letter from your neighbor and they should give a very detail descriptions of what happen leading right up your dog killing the cat. You need to made it VERY clear that your neighbor was in your yard with out your permission and I believe this would be called trespassing . This so horrible that you and your dog have to go this because of some stupid busybody letting your dog out. I wish best of luck in this.

Tags
dog attacking cat, dog killing cat