Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

More feeding issues (Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue)

I finally decided to try Rusty and Raven on this food after trying a gazillion other foods because of Raven's allergies (I suspect chicken, flaxseed and some grains) and very sensitive tummy. When I fed it to them for the first time on Saturday they gobbled it right up but I've been struggling to get Raven to eat it every day since. She refused to eat it Sunday evening and Monday morning and then very reluctantly ate a bit Monday evening. This morning she refused to eat it again.

Rusty has a very good appetite and will pretty much eat anything but even she doesn't seem too crazy about it. It takes a bit of encouragement to get her to eat it. Perhaps it's the spices in the food that are turning them off?

I'm so frustrated because we've pretty much tried every premium/holistic food out there (all the Natural Balance foods, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice, California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato) and Raven either refuses to eat it, becomes very itchy or throws up from it. I don't know if she's simply become fussy as a result of switching foods so often or whether she is just finicky in general. It's so hard to watch her go hungry but I'm very reluctant to give in to her and try something else so soon. She hasn't been itchy and her poops are normal. I always worry that a food might be upsetting her tummy without me realizing it. It's very hard to tell with her because she simply loses her appetite when her tummy is upset and rarely experience runny stools as a result.

I guess I'm just wondering if my dogs are the only ones that aren't crazy about TO Ocean Blue? Any feeding advice/suggestions would be muchly appreciated to.
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Performance Spaniels

Cider got the TO ocean blue back in november-december. I only bought the small bag thank goodness. First meal was great. Next month, she turned up her nose, walked away did everything to avoid eating it. She was forced to suck it up.. as I wouldn't provide anything else till it was eaten.. but she hated it.

The TO elk and salmon on the other hand she adored...
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Live well, laugh often

My dogs love the Ocean Blue but they are labs and basically they love all food .
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM

You guys must have really picky dogs! We put all our pittybulls on ocean blue, since they can have such sensitive skin and digestive systems. We have never had a pit bull turn down ocean blue, but I guess they are not a picky breed!
We do put salmon oil on the food, maybe that helps give it flavor?
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
-

Goldens4Ever has had problems with Ocean Blue:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38666
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Goldens4Ever has had problems with Ocean Blue:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38666
Well...I'm not sure that I would call them 'problems,' as I just noticed that the kibble looked a bit different, but now I know why & my two haven't had any problems with it. All that really changed was the shape of the kibble, according to TO.

My two have been on the Ocean Blue for 4-5 months now with no problems-they are the healthiest that they have ever been. Goldie will eat anything, she doesn't discriminate from one food to another. But Aspen doesn't like any dog food unless I mix something in it-she really prefers home-cooked meals.

To get Aspen to eat the food, I have a variety of things I can mix in her food to make it so that it appeals to her:
-A dab of organic plain/natural yogurt
-A hard-boiled egg
-Some dried, fresh, or canned meat
-Some natural applesauce
-Some fresh mushed or diced veggies & fruits

As long as there's something put in it, she'll eat it! Now she receives a dab of the yogurt with her evening meals & receives hard-boiled eggs in her food 2-3 times per week. Of course, she has her dab of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil sitting on top of the food & she gobbles that down first. I see nothing wrong with add-ins to dog food. In fact, TO encourages mixing meats & such into their dry kibble.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:35 AM
-

Sorry.....wrong choice of words.

I do wish though that if companies make changes to the colour or shape of their kibble that they should put a sticker on the bag informing the consumer.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sorry.....wrong choice of words.

I do wish though that if companies make changes to the colour or shape of their kibble that they should put a sticker on the bag informing the consumer.
No problem.

Yes, that would be nice, so that people know what's going on with their food. Or post it on their website--do something! That way they could alleviate getting tons of calls/e-mails about it & people would feel at ease, knowing that they're being upfront with them about it.

I'm too idealistic.....
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:50 AM
-

Yeah, me too.