Old October 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

A happy story of a stray

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...l_gam_mostview

Every night he appeared at our door begging for food. It was clear we had to do something.
SEAN TWIST
From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
October 7, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDTThe howl tore through the early-morning silence of the house.
"It's him!" Cheryl shouted, leaping from the bed. As I struggled to sit up, I saw my wife disappear down the stairs, a woman on a well-practised mission.
As she entered the kitchen, our cat Julius was still pacing, still howling, still spitting his rage. And the target? He sat where he had been sitting for the past few weeks — safe behind the glass of the patio door, placidly staring inside.
He was an orange cat who had taken to appearing at our door in the early hours, where he would sit like a tabby Buddha, his large green eyes peering at us. I had begun calling him Lord Marmalade because of his staid bearing and colour. All the fury that Julius would unleash upon the glass did nothing to shake his gaze. That job, unfortunately, had fallen to Cheryl.
As she often did, she pounded on the glass. When that didn't work, I heard the side door open as she resorted to Plan B: The Dreaded Garden Hose. A few quick bursts of water shook the orange interloper's resolve, and he made his usual escape over the backyard fence.
But he would be back. He always was.
To be fair, my wife and I are cat lovers. Since we don't have children, our cats assume that role in our lives, becoming the focus of our love, conversations and worry. A few months earlier had seen us lose our girl, Morrissey, to cancer, and we had become even more protective of Julius. Since this new cat upset Julius, we would do our best to make sure he didn't come around.
Yet as the summer grew hotter, he continued to appear. At first we thought he was a new neighbourhood cat, one allowed to roam by uncaring owners. He wore a cheap, blue flea collar, and he seemed fairly well fed. Even though we felt guilty, it wasn't like he was homeless, right?
It soon became clear that he was. As the summer's heat wave grew more intense, we began to take notice he was losing weight. Those deep green eyes had become a little more sunken. His orange coat began to look like he had been lying in motor oil, all patchy and dirty. And his routine changed. Marmalade began to appear in the evenings at the front door.
We began putting out food for him. Cheryl's anger had faded and was being replaced with something else. Something she was trying to fight.
"We can't afford another cat," she said. "We just can't." We were still paying off Morrissey's veterinarian bills. But clearly we had to do something for Marmalade. For now, a bowl of water and food on the front step would have to do.
We soon learned we weren't alone in feeding him. Another woman down the street had begun to put out food, as had another family a few streets over.
As for Julius, he'd taken to watching Marmalade eat. He would run and meow at us when he appeared, letting us know he was there to be fed.
Yet for all that, Marmalade kept his distance. If we opened the door, he would retreat, looking back warily. Moving toward him would cause him to flee. One night as I went to bed, I looked outside in time to see him running alone down the street, fleeing from who knew what. I pulled the drapes, feeling horrible.
Then he disappeared for a week. Cheryl became upset, now worried for this once-hated enemy. I found myself out at night looking for him.
When he reappeared, he looked even worse. It was October. The nights were getting cold, and we knew we no longer had a choice.
I slowly made my way out onto the front steps, Marmalade peering at me over his food. When I moved closer, he tried to run away.
"Grab him!" Cheryl said, frantic. And I did, wondering if he would tear my hands off. But he simply mewled in fear as we bundled him inside.
After pacing for a few minutes, he curled up on the patio couch and slept. And slept. After months of wanting to come inside, he now seemed to want to spend all his time unconscious.
We brought him to the vet's office, where the news wasn't good. Marmalade's teeth were rotting and would have to be removed. It wouldn't be cheap, the vet said. The only other option was euthanasia, which wasn't an option at all.
And so Marmalade came home, toothless but shampooed. Now we could see just how handsome he was. We also learned he was an old man, roughly 10 years old.
The vet charged us only for her expenses. Later that day, a neighbour arrived with an envelope. Inside was $800 collected from all of Marmalade's supporters on the street, those who were just as worried about him as we were.
That was last year. We've learned far more about our boy since then — that he loves to chase his tail, that he hogs the bed and that he has a fondness for smacking you in the leg as you walk past him. Most nights, Marmalade can be found looking out the front door, Julius at his side, now happily on the right side of the glass.
Sean Twist lives in London, Ont.
Illustration by GRAHAM ROUMIEU.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; October 8th, 2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added story
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

what a heart warming story! thank you for posting it.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Great! Guess that's my cry for the day. (besides the cry I just had cause I got called into work ) What a wonderful heartwarming story. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could hear more like it?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
~Cat Servent~

Isn't it funny that they seem to know just the houses to choose! Hope he has a long happy life in his new home !

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I love this story. Thank you for sharing it. It proves that there are good people left in this world, and in this case a solid community that gathered around to assist financially.

I wish that there were more stories like this - for all those in rescue this is our glimmer of hope and admiration for others to take control and lend a hand when needed.

GLORY GLORY GLORY!
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw, sad but sweet.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

What a wonderful story! I'm crying like a baby right now. I kept telling myself, the title says happy, the title says happy! It's so hard to turn away from these little ones. I'm so happy they took him in and gave him a home. Not to mention, it's nice to hear the rest of the neighborhood was also concerned.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I really loved this story - thank you for sharing it!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, what a great story. Have to print this one off.

ACO22
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

loved this, thanks for sharing.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:39 PM
-

Beautiful story....thanks for sharing with us.