Old July 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Webboards

Webboards can and should be like a community in itself. That's the only reason I stick around here.

I belong to another board, and have been there for almost 4 years now. I have been able to meet & get to know many of the other members.

Two weeks ago, Marinell, a fellow member surprised me with a visit. She and her husband drove up from Orlando. (their second time here)

She and many of the other members from all over, Canada included, secretly without my knowledge, took up a collection for me to go to a womens health center for my long overdue mammagram and other tests.
Most of you here know my story but for those who don't, here's the nutshell version. I was treated for breast cancer 3 & 1/2 years ago while unemployed..(insert evil vet here)..I still owe big bucks. I no longer have insurance, no health care what so ever. My medical expense's for the car accident was paid for by my auto insurance. I am 3 years overdue for my exam and last year during the hurricanes I found another lump which has grown alot since last year. I have been turned down for health care everywhere I inquired so I gave up. This is what my friends at this board did...collected the money, presented it to me with cards from all over.
So I better get to it! I wanted to post this 2 weeks ago but I have a problem seeing through the tears everytime I think about.
My friend and co-worker, Carol, is coming over shortly and we are both making the appointments, she had breast cancer on her left side 2 years ago and is in the same boat as I. Mine was on the right, we always joke that between the two of us, we have a full chest!
All kidding aside...webboards are a wonderful place if treated right.
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

That story has put tears in my eyes! That's so amazing Karin! What wonderful friends you can make online, it's amazing. I never thought that I would become close to someone that I've met online, and there have been a couple so far! It's great.

I wish you all the best Karin! Now go get that test! ((((((HUGS))))))
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Kitty Consort

That is absolutely heart-warming, Karin! What an amazing story of human goodness and helping! You must have been floored with this suprise.

My best wishes and positive thoughts for your testing. Good luck!
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
That is absolutely heart-warming, Karin! What an amazing story of human goodness and helping! You must have been floored with this suprise.

My best wishes and positive thoughts for your testing. Good luck!

I was in shock, and Marinell took pictures of me blubbering like a baby.

My appointment is one week from today, next Thursday.
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM

Wow, what a great story. I hope it has a very happy ending. I really hope all is well, Karin.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:13 AM
Senior Contributor

oh karen, what can i say, i certainly had a blubber, that is the most wonderful thing for others to do, there truly are some beautiful generous spirits out there.

you take care of yourself, and were all thinking of you sending you all the good vibes i can muster, next thursday i will hold a special vibe session for you....

good luck, and lots of warm love and hugs to you
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

That's incredible Karin. Yes, there are hazards on the net, trolls and predators, but there are many many wonderful, caring and kind people too!

I'm glad you found those ones!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the wonderful news Karin - er story!! Now, get to those tests!! We want you well!!!!

Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM

What wonderful friends you have. Heres to wishing you well on your upcoming tests.
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I need answers and ideas...

I made the appointment but I have been canceled. I have to have a referral from my doctor. He refuses, I have been seeing this doctor for 23 years +. Reasons are because I am a cancer patient of record and I need to get this referral from the oncologist of record. This is not an option . I will never see this doctor ever again after the way I was treated...
I called my radiologist and he would not refer me either.
I called Shands again...no go.
I do have an appointment at 2 pm. Thursday with a doctor nextdoor to the imaging lab. (They set me up)
Cyberkitten, please input?

This is not a controlled drug I am requesting., it's a freakin' exam! Why the road blocks? I am more now than ever convinced single low income people are not meant to survive cancer. This is why I never persued the issue and good friends aside...this was a bad idea. I am reliving all that brought nightmares 3 and 1/2 years ago.
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
-

Your Dr. works for you and should refer you if that is what you requested. As you mentioned it is an exam, not meds. I would place a complaint with the college of physicians. Find out from them if you can insist that your Dr. refers you.