Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Teaching a new dog old tricks!

I've been giving Scruffy more and more raw, which he loves! I've been reading here that I should stop cutting it up for him and let him chew and tear it the way he's meant to.
PRoblem is, I don't think Scruffy read the same posts. Right now there is a perfectly tasty piece of meat outside because he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. He carried it around the yard a couple times, tried to leave the yard with it, then gave up and came inside.
The last time he did this, I relented and cut it up. Today I"m being stubborn. Anyone else have this problem, or does every dog but mine know what to do with a chunk of beef?
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I hear ya!!!

Etown_chick, I just had to laugh when I read your post! My dog Brynn did the exact same thing when we started raw and still needs some "assistance" three months later, especially when she gets a large chunk of meat i.e. a chicken quarter, whole chicken etc. Brynn would just sit there and lick it until after about 20 minutes just giving up, so what I do is usually grab a leg or a part of the meat and her and I have almost a "tug of war" with it until she starts to rip it and get under the skin, then she is just fine and has no problem devouring the rest of it!

You could try it! Let me know how it goes!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
banned user

We have one..Jack..the black sheppherd who just won't buy into eating things whole...he loves raw but " cut it up please or I'm not eating it" ....the others crunch away and look for more!