Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old April 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

First puppy makes a Big Splash

Looks like President Obama has finally found a dog for his girls.

Here's the story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041102484.html

I had really hoped he would adopt a shelter dog. Hopefully, he still will, and maybe get another dog. I think it would have set a wonderful example and possibly helped many shelter animals.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Garden nut

Yeah that's some rescue/shelter dog.

It is a 6 month old breeder dog that someone returned because they couldn't handle it.

I only type that in case someone does not want to bother to click to read the story.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

He's a beautiful little guy, but I am disappointed about the non-shelter aspect.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wasn't it a gift from a Kennedy?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes. He has several I believe, and I think this one is either the offspring of one of his or sibling, I can't remember. He loves the breed and has been talking it up to Obama for a while.

I'm happy this puppy found a home, but I'm dissapointed they didn't adopt from a shelter. I think many people would have taken his lead and thought of a shelter for adopting a pet before going to a breeder. Now I hear many people are clamoring to get this particular breed, which of course you know what that could mean.

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Garden nut

Here's something that isn't splashed front page...

VP Biden's wife gave him a breeder German Shephard pup after the election. They were given a hard time about not adopting a shelter dog. So now they want to get another dog, "for the wife," and she is hoping for a Golden Retriever from a shelter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_152465.html

But the date of that article is old, just before xmas. Haven't heard a peep since. Maybe they only said they were getting a shelter dog to appease the pro-shelter advocates, i.e. all talk, no action.

And in other politician pet related stories, Putin's black lab Koni broke into the kitchen and ate all the food that Putin had planned to feed political guests at an event. lol

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090402/..._putin_dog_odd

Last edited by CearaQC; April 14th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah, I saw that. The puppy is adorable!

It makes me angry. Everyone says, "oh yeah we're looking for a shelter animal, or yeah we'll adopt only shelter." Then they go and get a pet through a breeder.

They complain about how they realize there is an overpopulation problem and want to set a good example, then do this.

There are plenty of purebreed dogs and cats at shelters! If that's what you want, then go and get one at a shelter or call a rescue that works with those kinds of breeds!

All they are doing is helping keep these BYB's in business.

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

The Kennedy's own a littermate of Bo's.

I am not impressed with the "rescue". Bo went from his first home a couple of months ago (likely about the time the Obama's moved into the White House from the sound of things) directly to the Kennedy's trainer's kennel.

Almost sounds to me like Bo was picked for the Obama's and fostered for a bit.

As for Biden and his shepherd pup - I don't know much about the breeder but if I remember right, she had some issues with inspections long before Biden adopted his pup and she certainly doesn't fit into the category of what I, personally, would consider an ethical breeder.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I also got the impression something was going on when I read the puppy was at another home first. I think it's been planned all along that he would just get this dog.

That's fine, and it certainly is his right to get any dog he wants, but I just don't like that they were so adamant about getting a shelter dog, then suddenly go in the opposite direction. And then stating they will make a donation to a shelter, as if that makes it better.

Yes, shelters need money, but the animals need homes! If they all had homes, there would be no need for money donations.

He would have set a nice example, saying that shelter animals are just as good as pure bred animals you pay for.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
The Kennedy's own a littermate of Bo's.

I am not impressed with the "rescue". Bo went from his first home a couple of months ago (likely about the time the Obama's moved into the White House from the sound of things) directly to the Kennedy's trainer's kennel.

Almost sounds to me like Bo was picked for the Obama's and fostered for a bit.
That sounds like a very valid argument to me! Something was fishy alright with the whole thing.

I just hope people don't go on a Portuguese Water Dog binge and breed like mad, just because the president has one. There are 100 "Beethoven" St Bernard dogs up for adoption in the UK because they were abandoned by a breeder who was breeding them after the movie came out and the breed became popular. But she was no longer generating income from them and so abandoned the whole lot. Some dogs died as a result of lack of care but most were saved.

In Google now, if you type in something it will generate the most popular searches so you don't have to type the whole phrase in. And one of the phrases included is "portuguese water dog cost." The phase may have already begun.

I'd rather people get the gardening influence from the Obamas by digging up their front lawns for vegetables than to adopt that type of dog.

One thing's for sure though, Bo will get great treatment and maybe filet mingon for dinner. And if the Obamas are smart they will get the dog trained by one of the military or police dog trainers. Who knows maybe Bo could rescue someone some day?

They better train Bo anyway, so he doesn't end up ill tempered like Bush's dog Barney, who bit a reporter one time. Can't have Bo chewing up the bed frame in the Lincoln bedroom.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm hoping that at the very least, if they get another dog it will be from a rescue.