Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Collars - to prong or not

As a continuation from another thread -

Everyone has to use what they feel is best for their dogs. Quite obviously LMPG has done her research. The collars are on in the proper position on the dogs neck therefore will not do much damage. They are there for a reminder if needed. It takes knowledge and research in order to be able to use them the way they were intended. LMPG has that in spades.
As for making the dog "look" formidable - you obviously haven't seen the collars they make for little Yorkies or poodles with the spikes poking out, etc. Does that make them look formidable too?
I would not think a "collar" per se would be the first thing someone would look at when approaching a dog. It certainly isn't my first thought.
I will bow out now as much as I can and let the people who have dogs that are walked on a regular basis join in.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Well put. I have used a prong collar but you are so right there is a proper way to use them that will not harm your dog. Because you can seriously harm your dog if you do not know what you are doing. I went to a trainer to learn how to use it properly. A choke chain is much more likely to harm your dog they in fact are probably one of the worst collars you can use. By the way I would not be deterred by a dog collar. Boo used to wear a big spike collar because do you know how hard it is to find a 30" collar that is just plain not easy. I also would approach LMPG's dogs who are under control than the small dog lunging and barking. Just cuz a pit or staff wears a muzzle it does not make them vicious unfortunately they are victims of ignorance.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Aslan wrote

Goldfields,,yes the collars LMPG is using is prong/pinch collars...from what i can see of the collar on your dog it is a choke chain...in all acutality the collar you use can do more damage to your dog than the pinch(which will only tighten to a certain extent).. I use a pinch on one of my dogs,,he doesn't tug,pull etc (now) it's more a reminder to him at this point. In this case it's looks can be deceiving, i have actually put a prong collar on myself and they are more uncomfortable than they are painful and only if they are tightened.

***Any collar will cause damage used badly, but I can assure you Aslan that this dog was very well behaved and not corrected, his neck was quite safe. I used to use a light gold snake chain on him, with a super fine lead and correcting him with that would have worn it out fast or snapped the snake chain , and okay, this is carrying it to extremes, but the correction collar he has on in that photo was actually gold plated. I wouldn't do that for a dog needing correction, gold wears off fast enough just sliding back and forth in normal use. I took it to a place about 100 miles away to be gold plated a couple of times. The theme was gold and green you see, our Aussie colours, gold correction collar/jade green lead with a gold clip, goes beautifuuly with red dogs. Getting back to his collars, you can't do corrections very well with a super fine lead anyway.

That's the world I've lived in, where exhibitors show off how well behaved all the big tough dogs are by using classy gear on their dogs. I don't think those prong/pinch collars have the approval of our Canine Council but am interested enough that I will phone them next week and find out. My sister sees them as positive punishment in obedience terms and would never use them.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Aslan wrote

Goldfields,,yes the collars LMPG is using is prong/pinch collars...from what i can see of the collar on your dog it is a choke chain...in all acutality the collar you use can do more damage to your dog than the pinch(which will only tighten to a certain extent).. I use a pinch on one of my dogs,,he doesn't tug,pull etc (now) it's more a reminder to him at this point. In this case it's looks can be deceiving, i have actually put a prong collar on myself and they are more uncomfortable than they are painful and only if they are tightened.

***Any collar will cause damage used badly, but I can assure you Aslan that this dog was very well behaved and not corrected, his neck was quite safe. I used to use a light gold snake chain on him, with a super fine lead and correcting him with that would have worn it out fast or snapped the snake chain , and okay, this is carrying it to extremes, but the correction collar he has on in that photo was actually gold plated. I wouldn't do that for a dog needing correction, gold wears off fast enough just sliding back and forth in normal use. I took it to a place about 100 miles away to be gold plated a couple of times. The theme was gold and green you see, our Aussie colours, gold correction collar/jade green lead with a gold clip, goes beautifuuly with red dogs. Getting back to his collars, you can't do corrections very well with a super fine lead anyway.

That's the world I've lived in, where exhibitors show off how well behaved all the big tough dogs are by using classy gear on their dogs. I don't think those prong/pinch collars have the approval of our Canine Council but am interested enough that I will phone them next week and find out. My sister sees them as positive punishment in obedience terms and would never use them.

since you've directed your comment to me i will respond... yes any collar can do damage and i didn't say that you were using yours inappropriately,,the amount of damage is the question..a pinch collar can only tighten to a maybe 3" to 4" difference,,a choke chain can continue tightening to the point of choking the animal to death...the prongs on the pinch are dull not pointy and used properly is no different than any other form of correction.

Since you say you've never used one before i will assume your sister hasn't either..so how can you judge something you've never scene up close or used in practice?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Ummm, I don't think we're allowed to use them, but that's one of the questions I will ask the VCA. I know that if they thought they were okay we'd see them around the shows. We aren't allowed to shock our dogs with electronic collars either. and you know those invisible fences, I think they can only be used if they are inside a normal fence. In other words to stop the dog jumping up on it I guess.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Ummm, I don't think we're allowed to use them, but that's one of the questions I will ask the VCA. I know that if they thought they were okay we'd see them around the shows. We aren't allowed to shock our dogs with electronic collars either. and you know those invisible fences, I think they can only be used if they are inside a normal fence. In other words to stop the dog jumping up on it I guess.
technically you didnt answer what i asked you,,,you are making a judgement on a training tool that you have never seen in practice,,,kinda wondering how..it has nothing to do with whether or not they are allowed at shows..If one peice of equipt worked on all dogs then there would only be that one on the market right,,,,i used the prong on my golden,,,no go,,,scruff is too thick,,,tried the gentle leader harness,,no go,,normal collar,,,etc etc,,i have resorted to a specific head harness that so far is working,,,next stop would be fork out the money for ceasar millans illusion collar,,,i would never resort to using a choke chain on my big guy,,,so if you saw my 100lb fluffy goofy faced golden with a prong on,,would you assume he was aggressive,,or would you see his gentle face and go aaaaaawwwwww...
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

For all I know at this point in time, aslan, it may be against our animal welfare act to use a prong or pinch collar even on a pet. I will ask the VCA seeing they work in with the RSPCA.

14+, my last show was so long ago I can't even recall where it was. LOL. It would be before Dundee was born and he is 7. I couldn't leave him alone at home , not our little special needs boy. You wrote ...

You have mentioned many many times how vicious and strong your cattle dogs are. I just figured you used what you had to to control them.

I wouldn't own a dog that couldn't be controlled easily on a correction chain. Around the rings it is very congested you see. They(meaning my dogs) will not attack anyone else's dogs for no reason, however amongst themselves at home they can get an unbelievable set against each other, the girls especially. One woman had two that hated each other even as 9 week old pups. The only time my red bloke has been aggro at a show was when a friend's Wolfhound intimidated him, towering over him, when he was(I later realised) in pain. He'd just been hip scored and I think they hurt him, as he also sank down to avoid the judge going over him that day. Anyway, he just growled at the Wolfhound. Another thing with the breed though is that they don't forget, so when that same Wolfhound stuck his nose into our tent at another show, and Perkins was loose on the trolley, he did make a lightning fast snap at it before I even knew it was there. Oh, I have owned a pet female that was a bit psycho, LOL, or hyper might be a better word, and she was a forger, but we just obedience trained her to make her easy on the lead and to live with.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Please do not take this the wrong way but - you are right. That is the world you live in. The majority of us do not live in your world of breeding and showing. Our world involves treating our pets as pets. I would imagine the way we treat our dogs when taking them on a walk is completely different then you would treat your dogs when training for shows.

I would love to learn more about/how you go about training for shows but not in this thread please.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh come on, 14+. My dogs are long retired from showing, are too old for breeding, and are pets just like yours and everyone else's here! Doesn't mean that because I'm away from the scrutiny of the Canine Council that I feel the need or have a use for a prong collar. A well behaved dog shouldn't need one, in fact it looks far better for the breed if they are seen to behave well in just the same gear people would put on a smaller dog. And by the way, not all my dogs were shown. If I reared them and they didn't make the grade, they still stayed here, as PETS, until they died. You don't , any of you, have a monopoly on owning pets.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
150% PRO S/N

I'm sorry. I took it from comments you have made that you still showed and bred. I apologize if I was wrong in that. You have mentioned many many times how vicious and strong your cattle dogs are. I just figured you used what you had to to control them. From the picture you showed in the other thread of the choke chain I "assumed" it was recent. So sorry.
Is it possible that not many people in your area, or on the council, have not had the opportunity to work with a prong collar and therefore are assuming it is dangerous? Why not recommend that someone take the time to be properly schooled and trained in the use of the prong. Maybe you will open some eyes as to their usefulness.
In my experience it has always been you use what works best for you in your circumstances. Once a dog has learned to heel and listen to you then it is highly doubtful you will ever have to use any corrective measures. But it's nice to know it's there if you need to. I would rather use a collar that pinches for a quick second or two than something that chokes and continues to choke until the dog responds. JMO

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
A well behaved dog shouldn't need one, in fact it looks far better for the breed if they are seen to behave well in just the same gear people would put on a smaller dog
I agree
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
As a continuation from another thread -

Everyone has to use what they feel is best for their dogs. Quite obviously LMPG has done her research. The collars are on in the proper position on the dogs neck therefore will not do much damage. They are there for a reminder if needed. It takes knowledge and research in order to be able to use them the way they were intended. LMPG has that in spades.
As for making the dog "look" formidable - you obviously haven't seen the collars they make for little Yorkies or poodles with the spikes poking out, etc. Does that make them look formidable too?
I would not think a "collar" per se would be the first thing someone would look at when approaching a dog. It certainly isn't my first thought.
I will bow out now as much as I can and let the people who have dogs that are walked on a regular basis join in.
Btw, for many reasons I want you to know you are one of my heros.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I am saddened by the fact you would leave you are a valued member of this board. You offer good advice and comfort when needed, if you leave you will be missed by many. I implore you to reconsider because we value your opinions weather we agree or not. You have always been respectful and have remained so through this entire issue.

Back to prong collars I used one when I adopted Boo a Neopoitan Mastiff. He did not have leash manners and had a very high prey drive. The manners were easy the prey drive was another story. If I was not paying attention to everything around me and he saw a squirrel or something he would lunge and I would get pulled where every he was going. Boo was severely underweight when I got him but he grew into a 200 pound dog. Which is significantly more than me. He could have gotten us both killed. With the prong I was the one in control. Maybe he looked mean but I would rather have that then not be in total control. He was a very well behaved dog except the prey drive. Besides people would cross the street before they could even see his collar. Used correctly they are a great aid. Used wrong they can be bad but not as bad as choke chains
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM

I wish people would stop trying to convince others that what they personally think is right is the universal best choice. I dont use a prong collar, my parents do. Whats right to one is not right to another.
LMPG, i really dont think you should leave. You are respected by many here. I may not post a lot but i follow a lot of the posts and you always have great info that i value a lot. Dont take it to heart when others cant allow themselves to see that there is no such thing as the 'right answer'. You are knowledgable about the prong, that means that you know what the pros and cons are and you are therefore making the right decision for your specific situation, which is exactly what everyone should do - weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that is best for them.

dont go. we need as many knowledgable members as possible and you are one of them

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
banned user

Masha....very well said and I totally agree!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Masha, LMPG originally commented on how people would be impressed seeing her walking 2 or 3 pits and a rottie, all behaving well. I was impressed by that till I had my first glimpse of the prong collar. It doesn't scare me, what a silly idea, but I query whether it scares the dog into obeying? It's a case of love the dogs, hate the collar.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My Dracko is my first experience with owning a dog. Initially I thought that caging a dog was cruel and the idea of a pronged collar was torture.

But.....after he started suffering from separation anxiety I got a big crate and he was in it when no one was home. Never more than 3 hours and we worked up to build up the time he spent in it. In the end, I only used it for less than 3 months. After he got the message that when he is alone he is to rest, he stopped getting in to things and I have never had another problem in all these years leaving him alone. The crate is long gone.

And, during his 2nd crack at obedience training it was suggested I use a pronge collar. I didn't think I could do that. I decided to give it a shot. Boy did he listen. Easily and quickly. I barely had to actually use the collar once it was on him. He knew what it meant. During that training period I was able to discontinue the use of the pronged collar and he retained the lessons he learned. It was almost like he just needed to get the message to pay attention to me.

As a GS he has a lot of fur on his neck so I know the pronges weren't right on his skin. I might have been more hesitant with a different breed but I have to say that I see the value of them when used correctly. I was in a situation where a trainer was able to show me how to use it properly.

I have to say, people who put those chock collars on their dogs and allow their dogs to pull still bother me. They don't know how to use them and shouldn't have them on their animal. I guess like with anything, in uneducated hands the potential for something to be harmful is there.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, LMPG, you have said how loveable your pits are, how they'd lick you to death and I am not doubting that, I simply queried the need for the use of a collar like that if they are so pleasant? If you are educating a rescue, fair enough, although here in Victoria I guess they do it without a prong, assuming Aslan did her homework right and they are banned. There again, I don't know if Pits are banned also. Googling for info is so slow if you are on dial up.
14+, you are saying that LMPG's dogs are well behaved because of the prong collar. Mine are well behaved on a correction collar, trained gently, and I explained my collars only to make it clear there are no harsh corrections. I won't be offended because you think they are nasty and aggressive. I don't try to tell you they are everyone's friend. They were bred to guard stockmens' animals and gear, and work rough cattle, and how many breeds have it written into their Standard that "a suspicious glint in the eye is a characteristic of the breed"? They demand respect, but in the Standard it also states that they must be amenable to handling in the ring. In all my years of owning and showing them, not one of mine has tried to bite a judge, or a vet , but in the wrong hands, yes, unfortunately, well, you know what happens. Unlike you, my friend with the Wolfhound understands this breed and apologised for her dog going where it shouldn't, and our boy was good only giving a warning snap at it.
The point I was making is that if people want a breed to be liked, it doesn't do a lot for the image to see them in those big ugly collars.
Aslan, Goldens do fine on a correction collar here , in fact they are great obedience dogs. I doubt if our Premier(of the State, not Prime Minister of the country) would have had much to do with banning the prong collar really. The main reason our State is ahead of others at times in banning things is due to the fact that Hugh Wirth, who was and may still be, head of the RSPCA, resides here and has a lot of public support. He may also have the Premier's support too I guess, and good luck to him if he does.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
You know, LMPG, you have said how loveable your pits are, how they'd lick you to death and I am not doubting that, I simply queried the need for the use of a collar like that if they are so pleasant?
A dog may get a long well with animals and people but may have a high prey drive, or may be scared of something like bikes or cars. That doesn't make a dog 'unpleasent'.

If people see a prong and get scared, thats their own ignorance.

Why should one live their life worrying about what others may think? who cares what others think... ?

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."

Last edited by Masha; July 2nd, 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
A dog may get a long well with animals and people but may have a high prey drive, or may be scared of something like bikes or cars. That doesn't make a dog 'unpleasent'.

If people see a prong and get scared, thats their own ignorance.

Why should one live their life worrying about what others may think? who cares what others think... ?
Thank you for your kind words Masha, truly appreciated.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
You know, LMPG, you have said how loveable your pits are, how they'd lick you to death and I am not doubting that, I simply queried the need for the use of a collar like that if they are so pleasant? If you are educating a rescue, fair enough, although here in Victoria I guess they do it without a prong, assuming Aslan did her homework right and they are banned. There again, I don't know if Pits are banned also. Googling for info is so slow if you are on dial up.

A choke collar/slip collar can do far worse damage than a prong collar can. Please do some research. You might be surprised what you can find. I used to be on dial up too and did plenty of googling.

http://www.fsas.ca/DogInfo/Training/Slip_Collar.htm
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Train...pulls-time.htm

14+, you are saying that LMPG's dogs are well behaved because of the prong collar.

I did? Y'know, I get a little when people put words in my mouth. Makes me wonder what they've been reading. I guess it's more of that between the lines thing. I said no such thing. What I said was the LMPG has done her research. That to me makes a wonderful pet owner and trainer. I know from reading LMPG's threads and the stories she tells about her dogs and the dogs she has helped rescue and rehome that she has a heart of gold and would never do anything to hurt any animal. That includes using a collar that may do damage to the dogs. Therefore - she has done her research to find out what collar is the most effective and will not cause damage to the dog. I believe that, in my eyes, makes LMPG a fantastic trainer.

Mine are well behaved on a correction collar, trained gently, and I explained my collars only to make it clear there are no harsh corrections.

That's wonderful. So you have obviously done your research too. You have found out that slip collars work for what you want your dogs to do. I'm glad you have found something that works well for you. Not everyone wants to use something that can/will cause that much damage to a dog if used improperly.

I won't be offended because you think they are nasty and aggressive.

Again - those words. I didn't say I thought they were nasty and aggressive. I said that is the impression you have given us with the stories you have told about them fighting. The cattle dogs that are owned by other members here seem to not have those aggressive tendencies. I guess they have to be bred that way in order to have "that "a suspicious glint in the eye is a characteristic of the breed"". Still have some problems with why people want to breed aggression into dogs. But that's my problem and I will live with it.

I don't try to tell you they are everyone's friend. They were bred to guard stockmens' animals and gear, and work rough cattle, and how many breeds have it written into their Standard that "a suspicious glint in the eye is a characteristic of the breed"? They demand respect, but in the Standard it also states that they must be amenable to handling in the ring. In all my years of owning and showing them, not one of mine has tried to bite a judge, or a vet , but in the wrong hands, yes, unfortunately, well, you know what happens. Unlike you, my friend with the Wolfhound understands this breed and apologised for her dog going where it shouldn't, and our boy was good only giving a warning snap at it.
The point I was making is that if people want a breed to be liked, it doesn't do a lot for the image to see them in those big ugly collars.

Personally I think the prong collar looks like a marvelous piece of jewelry. I guess much like your gold plated slip collars look to you. I sure would not judge a dog just by the collar it's wearing.

Aslan, Goldens do fine on a correction collar here , in fact they are great obedience dogs. I doubt if our Premier(of the State, not Prime Minister of the country) would have had much to do with banning the prong collar really. The main reason our State is ahead of others at times in banning things is due to the fact that Hugh Wirth, who was and may still be, head of the RSPCA, resides here and has a lot of public support. He may also have the Premier's support too I guess, and good luck to him if he does.
It would be amazing if people would try something new out without out and out saying it's bad for you. I can remember people saying when computers came out they would never catch on too.

Closed Thread