Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Have you ever heard of this?

I am not familiar with kennels and this one is out of town with no humane society. This mans dogs ran away two of them, and somehow they ended up at this kennel. The one dog had his tags on the other didn't but the kennel never called to say they had the dogs. When the guy finally found them he was told he had to pay $600 dollars to get them out plus a vet check up plus all vacc. whether you can show proof they already had them or not, it's kennel policy they said. Is that right or not. This is his side of the story can't really if its true but is that the polices for kennels or some of them or scamming him. The dogs aren't fixed nice markings, he wants them back but doesn't have the funds to get them. So really my question is is that common policy or is it because there is no humaine society out there so they are taking advantage of people?
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
-

Many shelters have a fee for dog owners that loose their dogs and want to get them back. I'm all for it , some owners are not careful enough and they loose their dogs time after time.... The fee might teach them a lesson.

But $600.00 ? $300.00 each dog ... that's a lot !
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM

apparently they rates aren't really that high 25 dollars a day so with two dogs its 50 and they added in the vet check up and all the shots for both dogs. I agree with the fee. The vet check up and getting all the shots done whether they had them or not is that nessasary? I don't know if I lost my dog I would do what I needed to get him back. Yet just seems so high.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I'm with Frenchy. I'd be thankful if I were him that they're safe. Maybe this guy can offer to help at this kennel in exchange to get his dogs back
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:43 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I think it's pretty responsible of this kennel to of had his dogs vet checked and vaccinated otherwise all the other unfortunate animals at this kennel's health could be at danger.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM

okay good to know I agree with the fee that is for sure and now I can see the point to the vet check but maybe not the shots when you can prove that they already had the shots why would they need to do it again. But anyways I never knew anything about kennels before and now I do and I can see the other side now. thank you all for helping me.
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

not sure if you guys didn't catch all king said or not. Having worked at a boarding kennel if a dog was found wearing tage then the owner would be contacted. This to me sounds like a money grab. At 25 dollars a day per dog, when the owner could have been contacted immediately is bad enough. To vet check is reasonable, but to administer shots is not. Yes the owner should have been more responsible with his dogs, but we don't know what occured that the dogs got loose. Not many of us here can say it hasn't happened atleast once. I would either contact the police or the humane society about this situation if i were the owner.
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm finding the story peculiar too. One dog is said to have tags so the owner surely could have been traced through the tags? Guessing about that because people move sometimes and don't update their tags. Also the dogs are intact.
Quote:
The dogs aren't fixed
So how come the dogs are not required to be neutered before they leave the kennel, along with all the other things that are required? What kind of kennel is this? A shelter?
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM

The man said his number was on the tags, so I just don't understand why they didn't call. They were not fixed because he was breeding them, they had one litter. From what he told me both are jack russels and the male had nice markings and both were calm (I am not saying that right) Apparentlly jack russels are hyper and these two dogs weren;t I don't know. This is a kennel, apparently a well known one. I don't know the name. Don't think I could say the name if I could anyways.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Something sounds fishy and sounds like a money grab to me too, unless there's more to the story that we don't know. I can understand having a reasonable fee to retrieve the dogs and them giving stray dogs the vet check and vaccinations but what I don't understand why it would be kennel policy to vaccinate dogs that come in with tags on, which can be verified if vaccinations are up to date or not. And why wouldn't it be kennel policy to contact the owner immediately anyhow if a dog comes in with contact information. If any of my dogs somehow got loose and I found out someone had them and deliberately did not call me boy would they get an earful (and then some!) I wonder what kind of health the dogs were in, if the kennel felt it was not in their best interest to be returned to their owner?

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM

It sounded wierd to me to that is why I asked I couldn't things to. My eyes were opened alittle because I didn't see some parts and now I do but why wouldn';t they just call him.
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Kitty pimp

how did you lose control of them ? why arent they fixed?
and how long did the kennel i assume it was a commercial kennel have them
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM

I can't answere that they are not my dogs. What do you mean commercial kennel?
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe the kennel suspects some wrongdoing,like puppy-mill dogs,noticed they were breeding-dogs,but then they should still have contacted the owner and said so.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM

I know he breed the dogs once. I don't think he mistreated the dogs cause he and ex were telling me the stuff the dogs did. I feel they the kennel should have phoned the man right from the beginning.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh sure,without question,after all one dog had tags..
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I know our HS in our city if they pick your dog up even with a tag, if your dog is not neuter/spayed you pay a hefty fine. Even though when you purchase the tag and tell them your dog is unaltered, you pay a huge price for a tag for an unaltered dog to begin with, if they find your pet you pay. You also pay more if its a female in heat running at large with a tag, they will release the animal to you after the fines even if it is still not fixed.

My neighbour a few houses down has a female that is intact, and the HS cruises the neighbourhood looking for her in the spring. Its like they know she will be running. He has paid over 300 dollars each time to spring her from the pound but still refuses to get her fixed
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I totally agree with the fines for not being responsible for your dog (s) it happens, I know if I dare let King off his leash gone I won't be even able to catch him. Its the other things that I don't agree with.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
My neighbour a few houses down has a female that is intact, and the HS cruises the neighbourhood looking for her in the spring. Its like they know she will be running. He has paid over 300 dollars each time to spring her from the pound but still refuses to get her fixed
maybe he just really really likes to give away his money
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm a softy

I know here the city pound is also a baording kennel, the boarding kennel is contracted by the city.

Here you pay a fine to have an animal running at large, boarding by the day, and a large fine is it is not fixed, they will release the animal if it is not fixed, as it is not against by-law to own an animal un altered just letting it roam is bad, and worse if not fixed... A larger fine again if no proof of vacc's, and rabies must be done when the vet visits the pound.

Where they rabies tags? Or just doggie name and address tags? Either way i guess they could have contacted the owner, but did the owner not think to call the place that strays are taken? There must be a municiaplity office or something that would have told them where to look..

The fact is if your dog is running loose, without a rabies tag, not fixed, and not picked up asap, it is going to cost a lot to get it out. Really the man should be happy that they are alive, as most places can PTS after 72 hours, or adopt out. We do have a humane society here but it has absolutly nothing to do with where stray animals go, other than the fact they sometimes rescue one out of there. To me it does not sound like a scam at all.. If they did not have a rabies tag on them, then the vet would have vacc'd them on his visit there....
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Yes I agree about paying the fees for getting the dogs out. He was at his friends house in a different city, I honestly can't guess why he did not to call there right from the beginning. He wants his dogs backs but is on disability and can't afford it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'm a softy

Well that might explain why they could not contact him with the phone number.. Tags are only good if the person with the dog can call the number on the tag and reach you, or the vet that issued a rabies tag, and that is only good if the number is current.. I really really think he is lucky to even get the chance to get the dogs back. Perhaps he can talk to them and work something out. Especially if it is a small town, perhaps trade something to work some off or make payments or something, but to me didn't sound like a responsible owner anyway.. Dogs not fixed, breeds them, one without tags, doesn't go crazy looking for them, goes to a friends out of town when they are missing.. Perhaps they just are not important enough for him to try something...
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM

I am sorry he was at his friends with his dogs when they went missing, I asked about the number on the tags and he said it was the right number. Sometime I think faster then I type.