Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Does anyone Know if Neo Mastiffs get along with cats

Does anyone know if Neo mastiffs get along with cats? We have 2 cats in the house with little Zues our Neo and the cat's won't give him a change to socailize with him for ust o know if there ok with eachother. One cat was born in a ditch she is a calico and very skidish, the other is a Pixiebob and is a real sour pusse. Now the calico is checkin Zues out more than the Bobcat. Will they come around or will it always be like this. Zues has been with us now for about 1 month. We are concerned that they will never really meet.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Neo's and cats can get along if they live together. The fact your Neo is a pup makes it that much easier. Just remember that the neighbour's cat may not be viewed the same as your own cats.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM

OK so then basically they just need to live together a little more. Becasue Zues and Nymbis (Bobcat) have had stear downs and the Zues runs at her I don't know if that is out of curiousity, or if he wants to eat her soto say. That has us concerned for when he gets to be full grown we don't want to come home to a dead cat one day.
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

So basically Zeus is staring down the cat then when it moves chasing it?

Zeus needs to learn the "leave it" command. Have Zeus's leash on him in the house. When he goes for the cat, grab the leash, give a correction and the "leave it" command.

I would not ever leave Zeus and the cats alone free in the house unattended.

I have known dogs with high prey drive to live with cats three years before they kill it one day when you are out.

I'm sure Tenderfoot will be able to give you more advice on this subject.
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM

I agree that the cats and dog/puppy should NEVER be left alone until you are absolutely sure they are ok together. LEAVE IT is an excellent command and you have an immediate reason to teach it.
Don't force the cats to be with the dogs or visa versa. Clip your cat's claws regularly and make sure they do have escape routes in the event they need them (behind a couch, over a baby gate etc.)

I introduced an adult dog to a cat/dog house and then shortly after 2 more cats. The new dog didn't take long to understand that cat's were to be admired and not tasted (mind you my dog is NOT a Neo!).

Good luck.
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:38 PM
-

Puppies are curious, they will want to check out any animal. Seeing as cats run, it ends up being an exciting game of chase. Puppy needs to learn some manners but at the same time you don't want to put a whole bunch of attention on them everytime he goes near the cat. Unless he is behaving badly, do nothing. Put up a barier so that cat has a place to get away. Give them some time and they will figure everything out, either become friends or avoid each other.
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I owned a Neo before my English and you have to realize some Neo have a very high prey drive my baby would have gone after any small animal other than dogs (he loved the small dogs). But being a puppy you can probably have them live together and get along just fine but I would never leave them alone. My English has absolutely no prey drive and loves everything so as you can see they all differ greatly. Good luck.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
owned by Tucker

I think any dog can live with cats if introduced properly and taught how to behave. My last dog weighed 120lbs and one of our cats wasn't even a pound when we found her, she use to hang under his neck with her claws. He had been brought up with cats and they climbed all over him, he wouldn't think of harming them and was never locked away from them. Now my new BC has been taught to leave the cats, he wants to chase them all the time, my little cat just goes over and rubs herself all over him but it has taken about a year for her to do this, and yes Tucker will chase her given the chance. So patience and training are the key and the leave it command works great here too. Here is a pic of the two of them. You can see Tucker just wants to herd her.
Attached Images

Old August 25th, 2005, 10:43 AM

See He is like 4 months now and weighing in at 46lbs now and has had very little contact with cats still. He has contact with my inlaws cats when I bring him by, but our cats at home won't give him the time of day. The only time they do is when he is on the living room floor sleeping. Will that still pass or will they always stay away. I know he is great with the cats he just sniffs them out and that is all but the cats are the ones who don't want to socalize.
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

i think they all need more time to learn to coexist, either to be friends, or avoid each other. same in our house, our puppy wanted to be friends, but our cats hated him. It's taken 3 months for my youngest cat (also a calico) to be around our puppy, but my older cat, aprox 6yrs, avoids our pup like the plague...

doggy lover: I LOVE the look on your Tucker's face in that pic!! great photo!
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:42 AM
owned by Tucker

The border collie stare, only one of my cats bothers with Tucker the other just spits and hisses when he comes near her. That is how she likes it so who is to argue with a grumpy cat.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM

My family currently has two dogs and a cat living together. My dog is terrifed of the cat, but she is an italian greyhound so the cat weighs more than her, who could blame her lol.

My moms dog is a whippet so he weighs about 55lbs (not even close to a mastiff but big enough to do damage to a cat) and he has a pretty high prey drive. He will chase her every once in a while.

What we did was set it up so the cat has lots of places to go that the dog can't get her. She has her own room the dog doesn't go in that the closet door is broken in so she can go in and out of the closet but there is too much stuff in it so the dog could never fit. We also have a room in the back blocked off with a baby gate that is high enough the cat can get underneath but the dog can't go under or over. That way the cat always has some safe places she can go where the dogs can't bother her.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat

Last edited by Jackie467; August 25th, 2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Nymbis and Cracker both have the entire upstairs to themselves there litter box and food are all up there that is like there little home away from Zues, but it seams as if they only come and check him out when he is sleeping or in his kennel where he can't get them. I have busted Cracker running up the stairs from the basement where Zues' Kennel is at night time. I know she is scoping him out but I would really like them to have some real contact. Should we force them to check eachother out or would that just make matters worse.
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley loves the cat, if the cat gets on the balcony when she is not supposed to, he goes right after her, and herds her into the house. Then he pats her, to try and play. That we stop, the cat is 5 lbs, and he is 100lbs
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues is my baby
I know she is scoping him out but I would really like them to have some real contact. Should we force them to check eachother out or would that just make matters worse.
You've only had Zues for a month, right? Give them time, they will work it out, in their own time, and their own way. Why do you need them to have contact? If the cats aren't comfortable with him, don't force them. I don't think it will take too long if Cracker is already going down to scope out the dog.
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Actually Zues has now been with us for about 2.5 months. He is growing very quickly and that's why I worry becasue when he is full grown then the cats will never want to be near him.
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I aparently can't read a date line.... ooops.

still, 2.5 months isn't that long. We've had our pup for a little over 3 months now, and ony 1 of my cats will tolerate him (only because she's young I think), and this is a recent thing.
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Well apparently our youngest cat "cracker" has been comming down when he is up. Lastnight we busted her sleeping on the kitchen counter and our oldest "Nymbis" is comming out to see him too but as soon as he gets up to go and see her she hightails it out of there so there is some inprovement with the relationship. I just hope that they can eventually live together and play as well.