Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've got a nest of phoebes on the downspout, too, and there will be pics later. Right now we're busy plotting on how to keep the raccoons from wiping out both the phoebe and the catbird nests... Cross your fingers--the raccoons have successfully staged lethal raids on the phoebe chicks just before they fledged for two years in a row now.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, obc, you might enjoy these from our last banding session, too:

The olive shoulder patches of a one-year-old male American goldfinch (in an older bird, the shoulders would be bright yellow):
Name:  American goldfinch, first year male 5-7-12 A.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  49.6 KB

A newly banded male Red-winged blackbird:
Name:  Red-winged blackbird, ready for release 5-7-12 A.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  64.4 KB

A newly banded female Blue-winged warbler:
Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-7-12 D.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  59.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:52 AM

Wow. Gorgeous pictures as always. Always so nice to see the babies arriving. Sound like your house is a permanent banding sight now.
My neighbour has swallows nesting, but they chose a corner that is too dark for good pictures, and I won't disturb them by using flash or a spotlight. And once they start flying all I get are blurs. They are fast!
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ya, swallows are not the easiest subjects!!

All 5 phoebe babes have their heads above the edge of the nest this morning. When mom sits on them at night, she's pretty high up! Looks like if someone shrugged, they'd push her right off! Sorta like the dogs and us on the bed!! I have pics as soon as I get a chance to do some editing.

Just spent an hour trying to lure a hummer out of the garage. Luckily we feed them here so they know what a feeder looks like. She finally came down to a feeder we hung out there when we noticed her. After she was done drinking, linked a couple of 9-inch hangers together to drop the feeder another foot-and-a-half to put her below the level of the open door where she could see the trees outside. Took another half hour before she needed to drink again, and when she did you could almost see the lightbulb go on her head. "Aha! That looks like the way out!" And away she zoomed!! Yay!

Odd how birds always seem to fly up when they're stressed, even though the light source is from below.... At any rate, she's none the worse for wear. I just hope her eggs are okay--she was off the nest for somewhere between an hour and two hours as far as we can tell....

Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM

I rarely see hummers here, but they are even faster than the swallows. It's a good thing they go semi-still when feeding or I wouldn't get to enjoy the pictures of them you post.
Now I've got some free time, I'll be watching the swallow's nest. I'm waiting 'til the babies hatch. I think the parents will likely lure them to a nearby telephone line, then I can get pictures of them out in the open.
This is why I haven't been stalking the birds as much: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81245
Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just edited it...had to share

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 5-23-12 A2.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  68.7 KB

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM

Hazel, that's gorgeous. I can see every feather in his wings and it appears to be looking straight at me. What a great shot.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thx, obc. It's the best one I've managed to get so far this season. He was displaying at a bird coming in to the same feeder over my left shoulder.

Old June 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I thought this shot was interesting. It's a shot (from a fair piece away so it's highly cropped) of the courting display of a ruby-throated hummingbird. Look at how far he has his gorget (the red on the throat) expanded:
Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird courtship 6-8-12 A1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  96.5 KB

And in case you're having a little trouble figuring out what he's displaying at, the fem might be a little easier to see in this version--they're both in color--she's in the patch of green in the lower right-hand corner:
Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird courtship 6-8-12 A2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  98.3 KB

Old June 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a few more hummers:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, male 6-8-12 B.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, female 6-8-12 C.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, male 6-8-12 D.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  41.9 KB

Old June 16th, 2012, 09:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Did your tree swallows ever hatch, obc?

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM

The barn swallows are still sitting on the nest. My neighbours tried to see into the nest and think they saw three eggs. (I'd complain about them disturbing the birds, it's not nice to bother nesting birds, but the swallows did choose to nest directly above their house door and this is a busy noisy family. If human activity was going to disturb them they probably would have left before the nest was even finished.)
I'm not even sure when the eggs were laid so I have no way of estimating when they will hatch. I figure as long as a parent comes swooping out off the nest to catch insects every morning while I stand waiting for Sunshine to do her business, there's a good chance I haven't missed seeing the babies.
In the meantime, to make up for the lack of swallow pictures, here's a pair of red-winged blackbirds to look at
Attached Images

Old June 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Purrrdy!!!!! Nice capture on the fem! I find them hard to photograph--they don't come around as often as the males do and they tend to be more shy when they do come.

Barn swallows don't seem to mind busy places. I hope you manage to get some pics of the babies!! They're adorable. I've never managed to get any pics, though.

Here's a few of the phoebes that just fledged:

Maybe nine days after hatching:
Name:  Eastern phoebe chicks 6-3-12 A.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  58.7 KB

Getting really big a week later:
Name:  Eastern phoebe chicks 6-9-12 E.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  63.5 KB

The last two chicks just minutes before they flew the coop for good:
Name:  Eastern phoebe chicks 6-9-12 F1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  46.9 KB

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Another hummer pic:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird, male 6-10-12 D.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  42.0 KB

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Hazel, with no hummers here, if you stopped posting I'd never get my hummingbird fix

I have lot of bird pictures to share. The first two are of a baby robin. We came home to find him sitting in the middle of the road. I chased him to the sidewalk, and then used my long lens to take pictures while keeping an eye out for neighbourhood cats. The parent showed up, so I hope this one made it. Also, our sunflower (planted by the birds, 'cause we didn't put it there!) has attracted a visitor.
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:20 AM

I got some pictures of the swallows on the nest, and a couple of the parent keeping lookout on the nearby telephone wire. I know the bird looks like he has no head, it's just twisted very far back. I'm including it 'cause I thought the band on the tail was neat.
Attached Images

Last edited by ownedbycats; July 16th, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM

I was blessed to be able to catch the swallow fledgling leaving the nest. Unfortunately for both of us, the reason I saw Baby was because it was raining, and Baby was taking shelter as close to out of the rain as it could get. We both got a little wet, and my pictures may have rain spots, but I got pics! Mom and Dad were keeping Baby company.
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Awesome swallow shots, obc!! Your Headless Wonder shot does show the band on the tail nicely! Birds really can contort when it's preening time!

The tufts on that juvie robin's head are adorable!!

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the banding session coming up on Friday. If we net anything 'exotic', like warblers, I'll post some pics.

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Great! It's neat seeing birds up close that I only see at a distance, or never see at all because they don't visit my area.
I thought those tufts around the baby robin's head were jsut adorable, too. I wanted a closer head shot, but I didn't want to scare him, more than I had to to get him off the road.
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Mickey, my angel

I just saw a hummingbird in my yard for the first time ever. I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't even know they ever came to my area of the city. Don't know if he is going to be back or just passing through. Such tiny little things. So beautiful. I knew they were tiny but it is amazing seeing them close up. Makes the chickadee's look like giants. I have a hummingbird feeder that I bought years ago but never used because I didn't think they ever came around. Time to haul it out and give it a try.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
are turkeys considered "wild" birds? we have four that come a few times a day to feed with or without the deer, one tom (mature male), one jake (young male) and two hens (females). my one female has developed a limp and there isn't a thing I can do about it, she worries me and daily I check for her to make sure the wolves/coyotes haven't gotten her, but she is a very strong flier.
Yes , they're wild birds , we have some in our yard , they will come and sit right on my front lawn . We have coyote that come through my yard too and I was worried about the turkeys. I have not seen for awhile so I hope they're OK.
The males are very pretty when they open up their tail and show off.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The barn swallows are still sitting on the nest. My neighbours tried to see into the nest and think they saw three eggs. (I'd complain about them disturbing the birds, it's not nice to bother nesting birds, but the swallows did choose to nest directly above their house door and this is a busy noisy family. If human activity was going to disturb them they probably would have left before the nest was even finished.)
I'm not even sure when the eggs were laid so I have no way of estimating when they will hatch. I figure as long as a parent comes swooping out off the nest to catch insects every morning while I stand waiting for Sunshine to do her business, there's a good chance I haven't missed seeing the babies.
In the meantime, to make up for the lack of swallow pictures, here's a pair of red-winged blackbirds to look at
I loves red-winged blackbirds but I do not see very many anymore as they're losing the wet land is being destroyed in my city.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Mikischo, you might be interested in this video (it's a public link on Facebook, so you should be able to view it without having to log into FB):

Hazel Run Hummingbirds

It was taken in the backyard shortly after the peak of migration. Still quite a few hummingbirds...

Barkingdog, we have packs of coyotes and wolves and the turkeys seem none the worse for wear. They evidently have some pretty good escape strategies when it comes to predators!

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 24th, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Golden Whistler

WOW! I haven't been near this thread because when I was on dial up the photo's would have taken forever to download. I can visit now I'm on satellite (still when I can find time) and must say there are some fabulous shots. You all deserve congratulations. I am only putting one in, of our Golden Whistler, and simply because ordinarily I wouldn't even see this bird. He's usually high up in the forest canopy. This was only the 2nd sighting in over 30 years in our house yard.
Attached Images

Old August 21st, 2012, 10:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow, he's beautiful, GF!! Feel free to post any of your birds! Australia has such colorful and interesting birds!

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay, but I don't get many bird photo's. This one is a Long-billed Corella, who is sharing the nuts on the pencil pine, second photo, with a pair of Musk Lorikeets(last photo).
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Awesome birds, GF!! That lorikeet is so colorful!!!

Old August 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Those virds are gorgeous, GF. And I second Hazel. Since we never see Australian birds (except at the zoo) any pictures you share will be interesting. I really like your golden whistler, he looks like a cross between a chickadee and a goldfinch.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Because I haven't a camera good enough to get the sort of photo's Hazel can, I will show you some taken by a friend here. Heavens knows how much time it took him to get these, he must have been very patient. First is an Australasian Grebe, a water bird, in breeding plumage. Second bird, with its eggs beneath it, is a Banded Lapwing. Their habitat is open grassland, bare plain and arable land. Third is one I have seen often in the forest over the road from our house, a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike.
Attached Images