Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 21st, 2004, 06:29 AM

New Kittens

I sent a message yesterday but I think I was in the wrong place.
Please help. I have 4 kittens, three weeks old. They are orphans and I have had success with getting them to use a bottle.
I also manage to get them to pee but I haven't had success getting them to poo. I don't want to hurt them. I have rubbed their tummies, and continue to gently wipe their bottoms but so far this has only resulted in them peeing.

Please help.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to put these little guys in a cozy basket and take them to the vet. Keep them secluded, don't expose them to any other animals or handling by petlovers in the waiting room. Have the vet check them out and show you what needs to be done. They won't have the advantage of mom's immunities and the vet will need to advise you about a vaccination program also. I don't know how old they need to be, but he will.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Not to sure but to my recolection they don't poop that young do they?

Also I hope it's not milk you are giving them it should be KMR (kitty milk replacement) so the kitties can get the nutrients they need

Good luck
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

We need more information. How long have these kittens been orphaned? What are you feeding them, and how often?

By 4 weeks you can start introducing soft food to them.

Here is an article on raising orphan kittens.

Orphan kittens

Iggette - anything that eats, poops.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM

My only two bits to add is that with every kitten I was bottle raising the little suckers would sometimes go 3-4 days between poops. The first couple of litters doing this to me freaked me out, but then I got used to it. They always did end up going, and going, and going. Be careful to not rub too long on thier bottoms too as they can get owie.
The good thing about all the kitten experience is it made it a heck of a lot easier on me when I had my children, I relaxed a lot more than some new moms cause I had raised many furry babies already, so knew some of the ropes!
Good luck with the babies - they are so much work, but so much reward
(oh and the other thing I found worked for me when I went to wet food as they are soooo messy is to keep them in the tub with lots of warm blankets ect - then I could just pop them out and rinse all the yuckies down the drain whenever they needed cleaning rather than trying to scrape everything off my lino floor)
Michelle
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:02 PM

Orphan Kittens

Thank you for all the replies. As of now they have been motherless for 24 hours. I am using KMR formula - I have raised some youngish kittens and have cats of my own so I know not to use milk, actually we never give our cats fish either even though they love it. (sorry that was just an aside).
They were born June 27th.
They appear to be peeing on their own as I went to work and left my husband in charge and he said they started squatting on the carpet. however no poos so far. I will be careful not to rub their bums too much and will keep an eye on them.
They seem to love their bottles.

I hope that gave more info. I will be watching for their tummies to work and if all else fails I'll take them to the vet.

One more thing. One has a sore eye. I have avoided doing anything but rubbing it very gently with warm sterile water on a cotton ball.
Thanks for the help so far. It's reassuring to know there are others other there who care about kittens too. There is so much cruelty in the world. Ok I won't start!
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM

Weepy eye

That is great - just warm water cotton balls are the way to go, just make sure to use a different one if you start cleaning the other eye to prevent spreading any bugs. If you start to see a lot of pus discharge or if the eye gets really inflammed then you will need to see a vet to discuss treatment possiblities.
As well, when it comes, the poop tends to be fairly orange or lighter tan, and fairly loose. They usually do need to be stimulated for a bowel movement too, and generally they will start after they pee. You can tell they are going to cause thier anus will bulge up and then open - and poop city!
The only other thing is watch to make sure they don't suckle too much off each other - they will sometimes try and suckle each others bellies, ears, genitals ect and can cause some nasty sores if they persist too much.
Happy baby raising!