Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 15th, 2005, 04:38 AM

Can I make her go out of heat?

OMG it's 530am and Mamma won't SHUT UP! I think she is in heat (she has been very friendly with a male stray who lives with us, don't worry he's neutered). When I pet her she's super purrry and sticks her butt in the air. I've never had an intact female cat but these are all signs she's in heat right? Is there any way to make her go out of heat? Probably a dumb question but It's far too early to be up and I'm desperate!
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Senior Contributor

i could be wrong but ive heard you can spay them while they are in heat ??

im sure someone who knows will verify for me.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Yes, you can have a cat (or dog, for that matter) spayed while in heat. That is the only way to stop this behaviour.

HTH.
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Is this the Kitty you were fostering who had kittens? Maybe I am thinking of someone else...

But, if so, I believe you have to wait 6 months or something after she delivers to have her spayed....

I don't know much about getting her out of heat. My assumption is that this is just a cycle in life and that you have to live through it...
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
<-----nut ball

yeah, this is the cat who had kittens, therefore spaying isn't an option yet. According to one website I saw you should wait a month after the kittens are weaned to spay, because the tissues have shrunk.
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM

A nursing cat cannot be spayed, and you must wait for her to go out of heat by herself. To my knowledge there is no way to make a cat "stop" being in heat.

Keep at least 2 doors between the cat and the great outdoors. That way if she rushes past one open door, she isn't already outside. Collect the cat and put her back where she'll not have the chance to become pregnant again. As soon as the kittens are weaned get her spayed!!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ummm

Just in case anyone forgot, this is a foster cat from the SPCA. So I believe that things are done on the SPCA's time frame unless she's been outright adopted?
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Yes this is the foster cat from the SPCA, and unfortunately she can't be spayed yet She seems to quiet down around the kittens but as soon as she sees or hears Poe (the male) she runs after him and starts meowing non-stop it is soooooo annoying! "Mamma Cat" needs a cold shower! Why on earth would anyone leave a female cat intact and go through this all the time? It's only supposed to last a few days right?
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But, if so, I believe you have to wait 6 months or something after she delivers to have her spayed....
This is very erroneous information! I wouldnt' want anyone lurking to think this is accurate. Doing this could well result in yet another litter of unwanted kittens.

Many people think a cat cannot get pregnant while nursing and this is not true either.

You can have her spayed as soon as her milk dries up.

Heats do not last a few days. It varies greatly, but some cats will stay in heat more or less constantly (off and on) until they are bred or spayed and there is nothing you can do about it except to watch her like a hawk.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Usually the heat just after kittens is short,but if she's not spayed after the kittens are weaned she will come into heat again and cats don't cycle like a dog,the heats come closer together with each cycle,until she will be constantly calling and female cats also often spray urine when in heat.She can be spayed once kittens are weaned since nursing kittens is what shrinks uterus down to prepregnancy size.Also even if she is not calling do not let a female cat out since they can have silent heats and are induced ovulators,so they can get caught pretty much whenever they have access to intact male.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
This is very erroneous information! I wouldnt' want anyone lurking to think this is accurate. Doing this could well result in yet another litter of unwanted kittens.

Many people think a cat cannot get pregnant while nursing and this is not true either.

Heats do not last a few days. It varies greatly, but some cats will stay in heat more or less constantly (off and on) until they are bred or spayed and there is nothing you can do about it except to watch her like a hawk.

Sorry about that. I said "believe" because I wasn't sure. I didn't take into consideration lurkers--just wrote as though I was replying to someone knowledgeable on the overpopulation subject as I knew she was fostering.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never understood these people will not fix their cats. I know you are not one of them , I am saying people in general. She can be fixed as soon as her milk dries up I am pretty sure! Please keep her away from any male cat. She can get pregnant while she is nursing. You are am angel for taking in this baby! :queen:

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I don't know if there is a way to stop it, but I know in dogs there are drugs to prolong the heat (for breeders) so there must be something out there drug-wise but as she is nursing, I wouldn't risk the possible transfer to the babies.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I don't know if there is a way to stop it, but I know in dogs there are drugs to prolong the heat (for breeders) so there must be something out there drug-wise but as she is nursing, I wouldn't risk the possible transfer to the babies.

I saw this drug too when I searched for stuff on google. But I also wouldn't risk it with the babies. I also read something online about using a Q-tip to, ahem, "satisfy" her, but that's just a little too disturbing for my taste. She stops nursing in 10 days, at which point she goes to her new home and will be spayed, so I guess I just have to put up with it until then. I've used two baby gates to completely block off the office door so she is locked in there and there are now two doors between her and any intact males. I feel like a jail keeper but it's for the best!
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue

Actually, it's exactly right. Lizzie truly believed that that was the truth. I would think only the simplest of people would read that and think it was gosple. I understand your concern, but I would hate to see people afraid to post something in a an effort to understand or clarify if they are going to qualify it as thier own belief. No offense, just my opinion.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I would hate to see people afraid to post something in a an effort to understand or clarify if they are going to qualify it as thier own belief. No offense, just my opinion.
I understand that. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but there are no opinions on this subject, only biological facts.

IF someone read that, they may think "Oh I've got around 6 months to spay my cat" and that could be disasterous, so I needed to correct it and that is all I did. I made no derogatory remarks. I merely stated it was inaccurate.

I can't imagine why that would be a problem.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess it is just too bad you have to follow the rules of the SPCA Kayla. I am sure if she were your cat, she'd be spayed by now. I read this some time ago : "Your veterinarian may be able to give her shots to make her more comfortable" and the writer does not say exactly what drug it is - am assuming some kind of hormone? Perhaps you can ask your vet?

Petting and rubbing her back is also supposed to help alleviate some of the discomfort she is in.
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
I am sure if she were your cat, she'd be spayed by now.
If she were my cat she would never have gotten pregnant in the first place, she would have been spayed long ago! I really don't understand who wouldn't spay their cat. Even if they didn't really know about the overpopulation problem you'd think the annoying heat cycles would eventually make them get it done!

I will try rubbing her back to see if it helps. She actually sounds like she's in pain the poor girl! And she keeps trying to seduce Poe who looks like he wants to do something but just can't figure out what. Can male cats even mate if they're neutered (without producing offspring obviously)?
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Can male cats even mate if they're neutered (without producing offspring obviously)?
Yep. But the younger they were neutered, the more clueless they will be.

To give yourself a bit of peace, you can lightly wet her down. For the time it takes for her to lick herself really dry, she'll stop the calling etc.