Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Some decisions are difficult - aggressive cat

Hello
I recently became aware that a member here is going through a very difficult situation in trying to make hard decisions about a really aggressive cat. I also became aware that people are beating up on her.

I just want to encourage people to be supportive of rescuers even when they make a decision you don't agree with. I have been helping try to save this cat and have detailed descriptions of the cat's behaviour. We have been working very hard to find a solution, but the cat is extremely aggressive, to the point where euthanasia is being considered.

I have a great deal of experience, and I can tell you that this cat is FAR worse than any (non-feral) cat I've ever heard of.

It is my understanding that the person in question came here for advice. That says a lot to me.

Please, people, stop and think about this - if a cat is *so* aggressive that he shreds skin and attacks from across a room, then someone has to make a decision. Nobody wants to euthanize an animal, but I would hate to see a child seriously injured, either.

None of you know me. That's OK. The point is that is a person is really trying, and an animal is not coming around, tough decisions sometimes have to be made. In such cases, beating the person up isn't helpful. Only the person who has the animal can make the decision. If there ARE other (safe) solutions available, then by all means suggest them. If the person is being callous or irresponsible, them by all means, say something.

But if a person is experienced, compassionate, and has tried everything possible to save the animal, then please respect that the only one who can make that decision is the person on the scene.

I think it's very sad when a rescuer - a competent, caring one - considers an animal to be too aggressive to save and makes the tough decision to euthanize. It would be nice if people could support that person, since SHE will be the one crying over the cat, if it comes to that.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM
MiniMomma

Thank you Cat, and thanks for all your help on a daily basis.

I have a question for you. Do you believe in fixing cats and then releasing them back out in the country and hopefully they will survive. This is what one poster suggested I do with Jake. I have my reasons why I will not do this. I wanted your opinion on this. With Jake and any cat.

I know that we disagree on alot of points but I do respect your opinions even if they differ from mine.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Well, I don't think we are *that* far apart on MOST things, however....

I think the answer depends on the individual cats. Some cats, if released, will wander off and starve to death. Others will stick around. Any cat that is released should be partially confined long enough to become "re-territory-ized" (ok - I made that up.) Simply put, cats are very territorial. Simply releasing a cat and hoping for the best is a BAD idea, especially if the cat is not already from that territory. Then, they just wander off.

Secondly, any animal that is potentially a public threat should NEVER be released. If there is a chance that the cat will attack another person or animal, releasing it is terribly irresponsible. If the cat attacks someone and cannot be quarantined for 2 weeks, it's a huge problem. If the scratch or bite is bad enough to go for medical treatment, then doctors are LEGALLY REQUIRED to report the bite. If the animal can't be caught, the person has to go through very painful rabies shots. Aggressive animals that have the potential to attack should never be released, no matter how sorry we feel for them. I don't know any feral cat rescue groups (responsible ones, anyway) that support releasing an aggressive animal.

It is up to the person who has the animal, along with his or her vet, to assess the threat the animal poses and to act accordingly.

I would never release a cat that flies across a room and shreds people's limbs. Cat bites can be VERY dangerous and can become life-threatening. They can become very serious very quickly. People have ended up in the hospital over cat bites. Some have lost limbs. Some have even died. The bacteria progresses VERY fast - by the next day, in some cases.
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Here are some links that explain the process of "teaching" a cat where its new territory is. If people just release them and hope for the best, the animal usually ends up dead in an inhumane way.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These links refer to feral cats, not aggressive "tame" cats. Feral cats do not attack people unless cornered, because they simply avoid people. Aggressive "tame" cats, however, can attack.

http://www.petside.com/working-cats-...ve-ferals.html

Or this?

http://www.feralcatcaretakers.org/Ca...edParties.html

Or this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318936,00.html

Or this?

http://strawberry-lane.blogspot.com/...es-police.html
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
-

Old July 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I am with Frenchy!! There is no good excuse to euthenize a cat unless the kitty is dying and suffering (verified by a vet!) and there is utterly no hope.

I have rescued more ferals than I can count and it always can be done. It takes patience- and sometimes YEARS - but it can be done. There is NO cat that will always be aggressive. The kitty may have a personality where she or he needs to be an ONLY cat away from children but there are ways to work around the issue.

This is not condemning the individual - just saying for God's sake, never euthenize a cat for aggression. Would we do that to children who are aggressive? No, we'd find the reason for the aggression which is where I would begin here.

And allowing this cat out in a new place is deplorable. Cats need their territory - it is one reason cats whose families move can find their homes, even if thousands of miles away. Not because they miss the people - but they miss THEIR territory. So they need the people with them in the new territory. Some of these suggestions with all due respect are VERY dangerous- to the cat and people!