Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
banned user

Dog fight yesterday

Sitting in the living room all comfy cozy when all hell broke loose!

A kid across the street had a chyoclate lab on the leash and 2 dogs (Bull Mastiff and a rottie) were ripping at their dog. I went flying out the door and across the street. Before i reached there..there was a man with a 2x4 trying to break them up. My heart stopped. All he did was raise the stick and those 2 took off.

The Lab was in shock and had wounds to the back of his neck and back foot. I was trying to get the bleeding to stop but the poor dogs heart was beating so hard. We told the young fellow to take the dog home and calm it and see how bad the wounds were. I'm thinking because there wasn't much blood that the 2 dogs grabbed the loose skin around the back of the neck and punctured there? I'm hoping it wasn't into the muscle???? The jerk bait that owns the dogs is a big drug dealer. (He held his family hostage last year and must be out of jail now...scared the do do out of me when i seen him) Comes out and says "Oh my dog attack your dog?" Kid said both dogs did (Both were running loose). He took off didn't do anything GRRR! So this other guy comes out and looks and says "Did your dog lay down cause if it did thats why they attacked him" What the Heck is that about. Like it was the kids fault for walking his dog on a leash and walking past their house? The whole thing was nuts! I told the kid to go home because it was beginning to get scary cause the kid started screaming he would kill his dogs!
I felt so bad for the poor lab I came is and had blood all over me. Now all I can think about is how he is doing?
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

This is just horrible! Did anyone call the police and report the dogs loose?
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

It maddens me that the owner of those 2 dogs did not show more concern towards the boy and his lab he must have been scared out of his wits.
I would probably be nosey and go to the kids house to see if puppy was ok and offer assistance in lodging a complaint or even charges against this careles and unremorseful a$$

How bout you are you ok? that must have sent the ol' ticker racing
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no Amarug,that's terrible the poor lab and boy.
Nosy as I am,I would go to the boys house and find out if they are doing something about this bad owner,he was probably proud of his dogs!!!
But if he is a"bad"guy,you might be a little careful
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM

That is total bull****!! . There's another ******* giving Rotties a bad name.
That poor kid and lab . Who was the guy with the 2x4? Another concerned neighbor? Thank God you guys were there because knowing a kid he probably would have tried to help his dog and then he would have gotten attacked. ( I know I would!!!).
Definitely call the police or SPCA, because with an owner like him its just a matter of time before some child gets attacked AGAIN!!!
This really PMO!!!
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I only once saw a"dog-attack" and it was actually a big Husky attacking a Rottie,he tore lose from his owner and jumped the poor old Rottie who was on a leash.
Scary stuff!!!
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I hope this is being reported to police and animal control!
Old April 4th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I hope someone called the police and filed a complaint.

Have you seen the kid lately to find out how he and his dog are doing??

How are you are you ok??

I know I would have been flipping out (it's good for me that my hubby is a cop).

This needs to be reported b/c like someone else said it could end up being a child or something worse can happen.

Ignorant drug dealing smucks like that should stay behind bars.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

These irrisponsible owners... theres this guy who lives with a dog, and he used to go outside with "dog 1" all the time for walks. The dog (who was never on leash) attacked a guy who was walking another dog. Holes were bit in his legs! The guy in the wheelchair was fined, and his dog was put down. NOW HE GOT ANOTHER DOG AND KEEPS HIM OFF LEASH ALL THE TIME ON WALKS!!!! And since this guy is in a wheelchair, he can't pick up the poop either that his dog maks.
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:38 PM
banned user

I wish I knew where the kid lived. I thought about walking around to see. The pound was here and so was the cops. I don't know what happened other then that.

Yea my old heart was racing but I was more worried about the dog then anything else.

The fellow with the 2x4 was another neighbor. It was kind of like everyone was coming from everywhere. Those people have to go......I think everyone has had enough of them and the dogs unfortunately. One day it will be a kid and something bad will happen.
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara & I were attacked by another dog back in January. Ciara has never read the "Big Bad Rottie" book either. This dog flew out of the back hatch of a car and grabbed Ciara 3 times in the throat (we were in our driveway) and then got her shoulder and my ankle. I was screaming my lungs out to get it off! (Ciara is disabled). I did step on the attacking dogs foot in the melee and ground down..breaking it. I use to work animal/rabies control for this county...turns out this dog has already been labled a viscous dog in this state and should not have been here. The owners packed up and went back to St. Pete. I filed a report the next day. One more complaint, under Florida law, and this dog must be euthanized. It is a chow/lab mix. The owners were also fined $500 for having a labled viscous dog outside of the guidelines set forth. (The only time a dog of this nature is allowed in a vehicle is to transport to a vet) These people came here for some R & R, 100 miles from home. Stupid pet owners...and the libility! Geesh! This is a no brainer..they own a car dealership and I can now sue them if I was that kinda person! Ciara's wounds were minor and I treated them. My vet saw her later and she is okay. She is scared of other dogs she does not know, can't blame her.
Responsible owners is the key to fixing a pet lovin' society.
Sorry for the long middle part, I tend to get worked up.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheesh you guys!! That is totally scary!!! I hope everyone involved is ok - poor kid, probably scared 10 years off his life!!!

And to think I was coming in here to tell ya about my eventful Sat. I took Brick to meet his cousin "Tye", a lab/pointer (10 yrs) who belongs to my sister. Tye took Bricks toy and all hell broke loose, at my feet. In the comotion my calf got bit, pretty sure it was Tye and not Brick, but not 100%......

Anyways, I now have 2 holes in my leg and a very swollen, bruised calf!! What a pain....literally!! Had to go for a Tetanus shot too....ugh!! I hate needles!!

The dogs are ok, I'm ok, just scared the poop out of me!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:58 AM
banned user

OMG! (((Karin))) (((((Catt))))))

I agree with responsible ownership. But there are those that don't think about it.

I had a guy one time (4 yrs ago) That his dog came running out of a park and had us pinned by a house. Motzi was a small pup. I yelled at him to get the dog. When he came he looks at me and says his dog could kill my dogs no problem. Holy cow eh? I was scared to go to the park after that. I did go back after a few months and never seen the fool again whew!!!!
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks amaruq!! I think I'll live.....good thing I'm not getting married THIS April.......heheheheh!!!

Geezzzzzzzzz people are stupid!!!!!!!! Why would you say that to someone, and why would that even be on your mind when you're out with your pet??

My God, I'm always on guard for other dogs especially down the street there is this mangy dog that the trailer trash owner lets roam free.......he attacked Brick the other night and in my fury, I kicked the damn dog. I felt horrible after, but he was not planning on walking away a loser!!! I know Brick is a strong dog, and he will fight for us or his toys.......but I don't go around announcing it - quite the opposite actually!!!

Breaks my heart to see/hear that people are so selfish and so unaware of what their crappy attitudes are doing to their pets and their community!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

When Bentley was a small puppy THREE dogs attacked us! They were like really attacking us. We screamed at them to go away, and they finaly did, but one was still barking at us as we left. It really scared the daylight out of us!
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Holy **** Catt! Besides the holes in your leg(ouch) were your pants full? Sorry!!! ( just had to ask,since you appreciate my sense of humor) LMAO
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Chany u crack me up! (no pun) LOL
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

LMFAO Chany!!! OMG girl, you crack me up too!!! ( | )

I wasn't as scared as I would have been had it been a strange dog. I knew this dog very well, since he was a puppy, I named him and trained him for my sister when they were on their honeymoon!! I do think I was going into shock driving home which probably wasn't a smart idea!! I was shaking, hot/cold spurts, almost delusional visions....it was brutal!! But all is well - I just keep nursing my wounds and keep watching it turn various shades of blue and purple!! Its rather lovely!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Those are some frightening stories. I was with my in-laws dog (shep X) on a school field. She was leashed. All of a sudden this big dog comes bounding across the field. I remained calm until this dog wrapped it mouth around Shylo's throat. Then I freaked, I tried to stop it, get in between them somehow. What seemed like forever, the owner finally ran up. My heart was pounding so hard, my son was with me, and he was totally upset too. I gave the owner sh#t for not controlling his dog. He tried to blame me! Told me he came there all the time and that had never happened before, that it was my fault his dog attacked! BS!!! I was so frikkin miffed, we all just walked out of the park. When I went back home, my brother in law said "Oh, I have seen that guy there before, he ALWAYS lets his dog loose."
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM

New member since about 10 minutes ago. With a question for the senior members. A few days ago, I was watching hockey with my GSD (male, 2yrs, 80lbs, loves other dogs). A friend calls and wants to watch the game with us. She wants to bring her dog over too (male, 4yrs, Shiba Inu). I wasn't sure about the two males in a small apt., since I'm a new dog owner but she said it would be fine. I've owned my dog for about 2 months, she's had hers for a long time. They arrived and she just opened the door and let her dog run around my apartment off leash. My dog followed the other dog around being very watchful, and eventually we watched the game. At one point her dog went for my dogs bowl. My dog growled, I pulled him off. Then her dog went for my dogs bed. My dog had enough and a fight started. Lasted about 5 seconds before I could pull my dog off. My dog got the better because he's twice the size. The other dog ended up with quite a hole on top of his head where a long tooth penatrated. He's fine now, with no infection. My dog got a puncture on his leg. He's ok too.
My issue is I feel partly guilty because my dog hurt another dog. He was protecting his bed in his mind though and I don't hold it against him.
My afterthoughts are that she should have held her dog on the lead upon arrival until she knew how her dog would behave around the hot spots at my place(ie. food, bed,etc.). That's what I do when I take him anywhere and it works great. As well, being a junior dog owner, I look back and think that she's owned dogs for a long time and should have known better to bring an unfamiliar male dog into a house with another male dog when the two barely know each other.
It's frustrating because it seems to have caused a rift between this friend of mine and myself. I feel like she put me and my dog in a bad position, despite the fact that I feel I must be responsible for my dog 24/7, which I thought I was. As well, there are rumours going around now that I've got a bad dog! He's good with all other dogs and all my other friends agree.
Anyhoo, anyone got some help with my moral dilemma?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Having had several dogs (and I currently own a Shiba!) I know that some dogs are fine with sharing their home and for others it takes time. It may be that your dog LOVES other dogs in neutral territory but is not willing to share his home, especially with a strange dog. This does not make him a "bad dog" on the doggy scene, just someone who may need to meet his house guests in the park before they share his space.

Oliver, my Shiba, has absolutely no territory issues about his home. He happily shares it with all animals, new or known (Note: He is absolutely the exception and not the rule for many dogs, especially a Shiba). As well, since your friend's dog was a Shiba, knowing what their little temperments can be like, it is very likely that he intentionally challenged your dogs dominance in his own home in some way. They are good at this! They like to be top dog (although small) and will generally let it be known!

On another note, knowing that he was a Shiba, I am actually surprised that your dog got the upper hand so easily (big or not)!! They are scrappy little b****rds!! May have also been part of the problem - they don't back down!!!!

Good luck to you!!

Michelle
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Thanks Michelle. I think you are absolutely right about the neutral territory thing. They've gotten along in the park in the past, and don't seem to be holding any grudges since. They are both very lovely dogs with generally good attitudes. I think it has more to do with the humans at this point! I do think I'll keep my poochies home as his castle in the future though.
Do you think it has anything to do with gender? Male/Male?
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Re the male/male thing - this can absolutely cause problems, especially if one or both of them is not neutered. On the other hand, since they play and like each other in the park, I have a feeling (and trust me, others will correct me if I am wrong) that this may be more of a dog in my territory issue than a gender issue. On the other hand, your boy may be more willing to share his home with a female. Personal opinion - I still think the turkey Shiba may have tried to provoke him - they are baaaaaadd for pushing limits!

Michelle
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Are both of the males fixed? Because that might have had a lot to do with it. ( if they still are equipped ) or it could be just a territorial thing. You've only had him for 2 months? Maybe he thought someone new was moving in.
Be reassured you don't have a bad dog, but now you know what not to do when someone new comes over. And your right, she should have kept her dog on a lead for awhile. I don't really understand why she wouldn't have because you don't know whats going to happen when 2 strange dogs meet for the first time.
If she's a true friend she'll get over it.

To Catt 31, Your poor legs, if you keep going at this rate, you'd better make sure you pick out a long wedding gown!! LOL
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

No kidding eh Chany?? Yikes!!!! I think I'm gonna play it safe for awhile...no more bushwacking, no more river walking (I fell in the river on Sun. trying to get his ball - LMAO) and no more dog fights!! ARGHHH!!!!

Speaking of territorial issues.....I think Brick has one in respect to his toys, or what he thinks are his toys....and other dogs! This was the cause of the fight that punctured my leg!!

What can be done about that? I hate to reprimand him when I know he is just protecting me and his things, and then the other dog doesn't get reprimanded (by reprimanding I don't mean hitting...just a stern talking to)..... He is sooo sweet and so good when its just us. When another dog comes and tries to take his toy he puts them in their place. I'm afraid one day he will hurt someone or another dog, like what happened with Bill & Bob.

I know I'm off on a tangent, but why start a new thread when its sort of related!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Yup, they are both fixed. And you're right about the reprimanding thing. I just moved Bob off into the end of the couch, where his bed was and the Shiba stayed on his owners lap for the rest of the evening. I couldn't/wouldn't give Bob heck because it's his turf and someone else was infringing on it. Not his fault and I don't care how big the other dog was. In fact we didn't even know about the puncture wounds until the next day when she found a scab on top of his head. Bob has a female buddy that he plays with every morning. She's spent the entire day at my place without any problems. I told another good friend of mine that if I came home one day and found them flicking lit matches through my window onto the carpet to see what happens, they could expect me to put them in their place with my teeth too! I wouldn't care how good a friend they were. Home is home, whether it's your apartment or a $40 poochie pillow!
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:50 PM

And as for the initial post, which I feel like I've hijacked, that's an absolutely horrible story. Be careful dealing with the dope dealer dog owner. They don't care about their customers, or you, or your dog, or the boy, or his dog, or their own dog for that matter.
All I can say is that around my hood, I have learned the houses where dogs are left out front off leash and I avoid them. You can't always do that though. Hopefully the boy and his pooch are better with no long term consequences other than a bad memory.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, I agree!! I live in a semi-shady area of the city too, and I am slowly learning where all the pot houses are, and the bad doggie owners are.....Brick and I stay away if we can!! The more we walk, the more we learn!!! I don't need the stress and neither does he!! And I certainly don't need any more puncture wounds on my body!!! !

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN: