Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Kitty Consort

Smile Greetings, Introduction.. and a Question

Hello to everyone!

I have just started some online research on dogs and found this site. It looks to be a great place, lots of helpful info and sharing with fellow petlovers.
To give a bit of background, I live with my husband just outside Vancouver, B.C, Canada's Wet West Coast. (rare snow right now
With busy careers, children grown and gone, we went for over a decade with no pets in the household.
Since retiring from the work force five years ago, I have now fillled our empty nest with two cats and a dog. They're our "new" kids..what happiness they have brought to us -. I couldnt imagine a petless household now.
Cats are both Persians, a silver and a himalyan, both five years of age. I purchased these as kittens seperately.
Dog is a Toy Poodle, a five pound sweetheart that I rescued four years ago. He is now eight, my constant pal and daily walking companion.

My question:
My daughter-in-law has asked me for advice on canines.. but I am far from any expert.. so I told her I would do some online research for her..
She and my son are considering a puppy for their daughter's birthday in March. She has long been wanting one .. but they wanted to wait until she was a bit older( turning nine) and until the parents had the time to devote to the all important first year of puppy training.

They have never had a dog, and are looking for a small breed ( under 25 pounds) a light or non-shedder, with moderate or light grooming requirements. A dog that would be a good fit with a busy, young and active family.
They have a large house, a small but fenced backyard, and one cat. Their older girl is a teenager, no really young children in the house, but the younger girl is a highly energetic and very active child.

I thought of a King Charles Spaniel, but it seems they have heavy groomng requirements and perhaps as a toy breed.. might be too delicate....

They are now thinking of a Daschund puppy. I dont know anything about them. This seems like it might be a good fit.. but I wondered if anyone here could give me more info on these dogs? I have never actually known a person who owned one - firsthand info is always the best. There appears to be two different sizes, and two diferent coats.. but I imagine the tempements and traits are the same?

I thought perhaps a young adultr dog, a rescue might be a better way to go, but they feel child and puppy is ideal. The choice is theirs, of course.
I have to admit - I have never had a puppy, only adult dogs, so perhaps am not the best one to advise.
Whatever dog they do choose, finding a good breeder is of the utmost importance. What is the best way to go about this?

Well, its nice to be here.. and am just going to browse around the site a bit.
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Doxies come in two sizes and three coats. Smooth, long-haired and wire-haired. Because of the length of the spine, they are prone to back problems. Maybe not so good a match for an active 9 year old.

My honest opinion, go to your local shelter. There are plenty of young dogs looking for the right family with a child to love them.

If a purebred dog is the only option, then my best advice would be to go to a dog show. Talk to people who have dogs that catch your eye. Since you are looking for a pet for a younger child, maybe some type of terrier. Cairn Terriers are fascinating little creatures, if you ask me. They don't appear to need a lot of grooming and they don't seem to have the boundless energy of you Jack Russell terriers.

Avoid petshops and online kennels. If you can't see the parents with your own two eyes, you don't want the pup. Once you decide on a breed, do some research. Find out about genetic problems that the breed can carry and make sure that the parents of your perspective puppy have been tested and cleared of this problems. Remember that no question is a stupid question and for every question you have for the breeder - they should have 2. A responsible breeder wants to make sure that his/her puppies go to responsible homes. Getting a pup should seem like you are trying to adopt a child. If the breeder just wants your check, then they don't care where their pups go and probably don't care if the pup is healthy.
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I agree..a Doxie might not be a good fit for this house. Perhaps something more child friendly would be better. A light shedder that tends to be good with families and children would be a Bichon Frise or a Shih Tzu...in my opinion and from what I have read online.
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM
AmInaL

Poodles are great family pets as well as schnauzers. Perhaps a beagle. There are TONS of beagles and beagle mixes in rescue.
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I agree that a poodle is an excellent breed. My parents got me one when I was 8 or 9 and she was a great dog. Easy going, friendly and didn't shed. Poodles are very smart too. We had no problem training her. Good luck.
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Kitty Consort

Smile Thanks for your info

Thanks for the advice and suggestions for a puppy selection. I am thinking now after reading this and other info, a doxie may not be the best choice for this family.
The idea so far is to narrow the field, of course. I personally believe they should look for a young adult dog at a shelter, I feel its the best choice, and will encourage this selection
As a toy poodle owner msyelf, I am a big fan of this breed, a miniature poodle or poodle mix could work out well.
I dont believe they really "care" whether they have a purbebred dog, just a small one that would be a good family pet. Young, small dogs are in high demand at the various shelters,but can be found. Its where I found my own dog. It took several months of checking.. but he was a ideal match for me - a treasure just waiting to be discovered.
The best adjective to describe their sweet little daughter is exuberant. Though she is gentle in nature, she has boundless energy, runs rather than walks everywhere, a little girl full of action - and with a rather high noise level.
My cats run and hide when she arrives for a visit - they are used to a very quiet atmoshpere.
My tiny dog is high energy, and loves to run and play with her,and they have great fun together,but as he is very delicate, I supervise always.

I will let you know how the search is going, thanks again. I'm learning lots about the various breeds, and am going to get some books to give them also.

Its a serious but exciting venture for them, their very first dog.
They have lots and lots of research to do, careful thought and planning, and I know they will give the correct consideration that is required.
And I will be happy to assist them with whatever I can to make a successful choice, the best match for dog and family.