Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 20th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Question Two fixed females won't get along.

Hi there! My best friend adopted Abbey from the Kingston HS, she looked just like Ruby, we HAD to go get her. He's had her for almost a month now, we take the two out for an off-leash run to play when we get together and they are fine. However, when we try to sit in the house together, a fight breaks out. Ruby is very submissive and almost 5, (Abbey will be 2 in December) but, after 3 visits with Abbey being the aggressor, she is starting to become the aggressor occasionally too. Now we keep them on leash, no toys, no food, when they are near each other inside, it's a little better. Does anyone have any advice on how to help these two become friends? I gave Abbey Ruby's old pillow, I was hoping that would get her used to her scent. Ruby is a Sheppard Lab cross and Abbey is a Sheppard and possibly hound mix. Any advice would be appreciated!! thank-you! :love:
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Two spayed bitches are often a really bad combination, and will often fight endlessly, and sometimes very seriously, for dominance.

You will just have to continue the no toys, no treats, no food thing when they are together. Make sure whoever is dominant gets pets, food, toys first, goes out the door first - in other words, support her dominance. Hopefully that may make her feel the need to fight for it less.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:07 AM

Thank's Lucky, I'll keep trying what we are doing. I'm thinking Abbey is more dominant because the family who dropped her at the HS had another puppy that they kept so I'm thinking that one was getting all the attention over her....I really hope they work it out, I have a friend who has 2 spayed females and they get along well. We keep a very close eye on them, don't want our babies getting hurt.