Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old November 27th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow 5 pups , poor girl . You mentioned that she would be going somewhere else to have her pups, is that still the case?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep telling LP to sneak them here. Look G, Santa was really good to me this year..puppies..lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
You mentioned that she would be going somewhere else to have her pups, is that still the case?
We'll be taking her to the veterinary hospital, L4H.
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, sorry, I thought somebody was taking over the fostering after she had her pups.

Will you be fostering momma and pups afterwards then

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How's she doing today, LP?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Doggie Wench

L4H, if all goes well, yes, we will foster Cuddles and her pups.

Hazel, my kitchen looks like a I cooked a 6 course meal for a dozen people. And you know what she ended up eating this evening? 2 teaspoons of green tripe, 2 slices of ham, and 1/4 slice fried bacon . I cooked chicken, pork, and rabbit for her today...and opened 4 different cans of dog food. The little bugger wouldn't touch any of it . Last night she only ate a couple of teaspoons of baby food and 1/4 hot dog wiener. It would seem she doesn't eat at all during the day, only a wee bit at night.

She sleeps a lot, most of the day and all night but, she's a waggy butt when she's up and loves to get brushed.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh that poor baby needs more food than that. Pasta, boiled in chicken broth got Quincy eating. I thought pork was bad for dogs, but you got to get something into her. You might have to hand feed her and get her to lick the food off your hand. Baked potatoes, hamburger, fried liver? I wish I was closer so I could help.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a sweetie!! Waggy butt

I do hope she starts eating again! Sounds like she's getting you trained up in the kitchen! I'll bet it smelled good in your house...at least till you opened the tripe.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Doggie Wench

Shaykeija, we've tried beef and chicken liver, fried, baked, boiled. She'll only eat one or two tiny pieces of beef liver and only if it's fried. The first day she arrived, she ate a chicken meal I prepared, now she's refusing it altogether . Whatever she eats one day, she won't the next. She will eat a few morsels out of my hand or off a flat plate, she doesn't seem to like bowls. Doesn't want hamburger, nor potatoes, nor ground turkey. Not cheese nor yogurt. We've tried mild cheddar, cottage, and ricotta. Dh is making some macaroni and cheese right now. Judging by her reaction so far, it would seem she only likes junk food . She went nuts over the hot dog wiener and the ham but only a little bit before she stopped eating.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

LP do dogs stop eating prior to delivering? maybe she is just at that stage of the pregnancy. What about tripe? sardines ? maybe even boiled pasta?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Live well, laugh often

What about toast and scrambled eggs . That often worked for Lucy.

and buy some of those arrowroot biscuits for babies, that often helped kickstart some eating.

Hope she eats better soon .
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Doggie Wench

Usually 24 hours before labor begins. But her appetite has been like this since she was brought to the shelter and it's been over a week now. Her energy is good when she's awake, she's clear eyed and focuses on me. What's left of her teeth aren't in very good shape though (I've also blended a lot of the food I've offered her). She is on antibiotics for that so if it's her mouth, hopefully it will start working soon. The vets said to feed her whatever she'll eat at this point and to offer her something every two hours.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Without a word of a lie both Ginger and Hobo's first "full" meals in our home was Kraft Dinner. Both of them snubbed their noses at EVERYTHING we were offering. Like your sweety they both were coming from stressful places and had been neglected. As Kraft Dinner is my favorite thing to eat for lunch I decided to share some with Ginger after 36 hrs of her eating next to nothing and she scoffed it Two years later, after 36 hrs with Hobo he scoffed the Kraft Dinner too Now it is their gotcha day lunch (among many other lunches during the year ).

Can't hurt to try...she really needs to eat anything right now until you can get her on to some healthier stuff!

You are too funny with the messy kitchen...been there, done that

With you in charge there is no doubt she is going to be just fine...lucky dog!!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Doggie Wench

I haven't tried sardines yet, Winston...I'll go try that now.

She just refused the cheese and macaroni.

Teri, we tried toast, eggs and bacon this morning...she only had a bit of the bacon. Never thought of the biscuits though, I'll put it on our grocery list.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Live well, laugh often

Maybe she likes sweet stuff? Give her a taste of jam and if she likes it then smear some on toast.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
As Kraft Dinner is my favorite thing to eat for lunch I decided to share some with Ginger after 36 hrs of her eating next to nothing and she scoffed it
Sorry LP, mine thread jack .... I love Kraft Dinner too and my husband thinks it is disgusting. Really sometimes it's gotta be KD .
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Canned sardines are a no go so far. And she just made a liar out of me. She wouldn't eat the macaroni off a plate but ate 3 pieces out of the bowl in my hands . It's funny because when I offered her the ham earlier, she nearly bit my fingers off at the same time. But only a few pieces and then she was done.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Doggie Wench

Here's another pic of Cuddles. She loves her pen! We take her out often during the day when we're moving about or just cuddling on the couch. But if one of us ignores her for a few minutes, she waddles to her pen and asks to be let back in.
Attached Images

Old November 27th, 2010, 11:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's an absolute doll Doesn't seem to be extra skinny--or is it just the fur making her look bigger?

I'll tell you a gross secret that I used to get Evan to eat when he had no appetite. If he thought it was people food, he'd eat it, but he had to know for sure that it was people food--so it had to smell like we liked it... So I'd chew up some of what I wanted him to eat, spit it back into my hand and then hand feed him with it. After a couple of mouthfuls, he usually believed me and started eating on his own

Old November 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Live well, laugh often

Wow, she really is a cutie . Are they sure she is eleven? She looks quite a bit younger to me. Maybe the pups are pushing on her tummy so she feels full even when she isn't . Is she burping at all or showing any signs of gas?
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Doggie Wench

There's a good idea, Hazel...as long as it really does taste good, lol. Don't know if I could be chewing on dog food but, who knows what a desperate person might do . Her fur makes her look bigger than what she really is. I can feel ribs and hips but they're not protruding or anything. Her stomach is HUGE though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Wow, she really is a cutie . Are they sure she is eleven? She looks quite a bit younger to me. Maybe the pups are pushing on her tummy so she feels full even when she isn't . Is she burping at all or showing any signs of gas?
Her previous owner said she was 11 and the vets agree she's a senior . You may be right about her feeling full...the ultrasound showed that the pups are pushing all her organs. And yes, she does burp as soon as she's had a couple of morsels or licks of food. When she drinks water as well.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Live well, laugh often

Any possiblity you have some nux vomica on hand? It is a homeopathic remedy very good for upset tummies and naseau. Do you think it would be okay to give her a bit of pepcid?
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Doggie Wench

I don't have any pepcid or nux vomica here but I could call her vet Monday morning to see if it's ok. I never thought of that, thank you.
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if her teeth are hurting? Chicken weiners, turkey kebalsi, even some of that rollover. I know it is crap, but when Shayker was dying from RF it was the only thing she would eat, and only a little at a time. Did the vet check her kidneys? Poor little bug...give her a kiss for me..

Old November 28th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
L4H, if all goes well, yes, we will foster Cuddles and her pups.

Hazel, my kitchen looks like a I cooked a 6 course meal for a dozen people. And you know what she ended up eating this evening? 2 teaspoons of green tripe, 2 slices of ham, and 1/4 slice fried bacon . I cooked chicken, pork, and rabbit for her today...and opened 4 different cans of dog food. The little bugger wouldn't touch any of it . Last night she only ate a couple of teaspoons of baby food and 1/4 hot dog wiener. It would seem she doesn't eat at all during the day, only a wee bit at night.

She sleeps a lot, most of the day and all night but, she's a waggy butt when she's up and loves to get brushed.
LP,,,have u given her dry food? I know her teeth are bad, but maybe dry food was what she got before. Even dry food soften in warm water might help. She sure is a cutie!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What about scrambled eggs with cheese and hotdogs cut up. Even some tripe added to entice her to eat it. It may be easy for her to eat and get more nutrition in her that just hotdogs. I am not too familiar with dog nutrition, but I would be concerned about calcium leaching from her bones and teeth for the pups. It may cause further decay of her teeth.

Sending lots of her way.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Doggie Wench

L4H, I should have mentioned I add liquid vitamins and bone meal to anything mushy she'll eat (ie. baby food, tripe). I also have a couple of canine nutrition books with recipes so I've made her a few meals from those as well. I just have to get her to eat more than a couple of licks of it. She had more green tripe this morning which is great because she normally won't eat early in the day. I just threw an egg with ham (she liked a bit of ham last night) into the blender and fried it up with some butter. Just waiting for it to cool down before offering it to her .
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Hi lp!
Some of these small dogs are really difficult eaters....even when they are pregnant. I know your used to big dogs or dogs who will swallow everything and anything.
Here is a great website to help you out if you need it. It has always been very helpful to me when I have pregnant dogs or orphaned puppies.
www.dogbreedinfo.com
If you get to speak to a vet this week, I would ask them about calcium. She has a lot of puppies for her size and age. So you do want to make sure that she gets enough calcium for her and for her to be able to nurse her pups afterwards. Keep on giving her cheese, eggs and yogourt.
I do have a couple of questions for you. Are you actually writing down what she eats, ie what she actually ate and quantities? Perhaps it doesn't sound like a lot, but she does have 5 puppies and they are taking up a lot of room. Also maybe she's not moving around much. Perhaps letting her have a few little walks would be good for her.
Have you tried leaving the food down in her pen and then go back and hour later to see what she has eaten? Sometimes works.
My young son was always the one hand feeding these difficult little dogs.
He loved it....and they craved the attention!
Good luck and let me know if you need anything.
Pat
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Doggie Wench

SHE'S EATING! WOOHOO !!!!!

TQ, I read your post this morning and thought to myself, "I offered it to her the first two days" but assumed she either didn't like it or perhaps her mouth hurt too much to eat it. I tried again today and she ate 1/4 cup! The antibiotics must be working . I'm so friggen relieved I could cry .
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a relief!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
L4H, I should have mentioned I add liquid vitamins and bone meal to anything mushy she'll eat (ie. baby food, tripe). I also have a couple of canine nutrition books with recipes so I've made her a few meals from those as well. I just have to get her to eat more than a couple of licks of it. She had more green tripe this morning which is great because she normally won't eat early in the day. I just threw an egg with ham (she liked a bit of ham last night) into the blender and fried it up with some butter. Just waiting for it to cool down before offering it to her .
I am so glad, I should have known you would have considered the calcium issue

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)