Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

hmmmmm...this version of Adobe flash is not supported on 64-bit machines...IE just died cuz of it. I coulda sworn I updated that two nights ago...must've lost the connection at some point

Once I figure out how to get the appropriate version, that might clear up some of my IE problems!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Swift Tribe

well it didnt eat me and i have a response.... pardon the orneryness of it all. an answer is an answer after all!!! his responses are in red.

-ash

Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't have Vista. Everything I know about Vista I have discerned helping my poor brother untangle the mess he made on his - and maybe I learned a little at work too... I don't have an Apple either, but I honestly believe you probably should have bought one.

Moving along - Responses inline

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there ...so that suggestion isn't necessary Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. )

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?
Aren't easily recognized? Pish... If only MS would settle on a format. If only Outlook and Outlook Express didn't both use the work Outlook in their title - the only thing they have in common. I assume you are using Windows Mail and not Outlook on the new computer. Need to know what files/folders you are attempting to import specifically and how you are doing it - Outlook Express keeps them in two or more different places - the address book is a different file entirely - look for *.wab and import separately. It has never EVER been intuitive but I have never failed to import e-mail and addresses from Windows 95 right on up to Vista. Its just in an attempt to make it easy, they manage to make it easy in a very tiny subset of situations - and nearly impossible in all others.

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...
WS-FTP is so 1999 Download Filezilla Client - Open Source Freeware http://filezilla-project.org/

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku or the Daily Crossword? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software.
Need specific URLs and what browser are you using - I recommend using Firefox and Internet Explorer before calling something a problem. Also, any specific error information would be helpful - Personally, I stay away from these downloadable game things - they pollute your computer with crap, but whatever... I'm paranoid. I anticipate that past computer problems were very likely related to these online games and toys. Vista in and of itself should not be keeping you from downloading whatever you like, but the increased security and firewall function may potentially be inhibiting the games' operation (and thus lengthing the usable life of your computer for other things...)

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... ) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat.
Download Picasa (picasa.google.com) and disable all the auto import stuff in Vista. If you need help figuring out how to get Vista to Automatically import photos, let me know - I'll make finding out a personal goal.

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope.
Most of what I read to solve these problems is found online, simply using google - sorting through the useless "information" and getting to the useful nuggets is tedious and perhaps a bit of an art form, but it is certainly do-able. I expect that your biggest stumbling block is that Microsoft built Vista under the guise that everyone does not like Windows - so they changed everything. Everything you learned about Windows before - forget it and start over. What you remember from your previous life is likely holding you back (thus my assertion that now is a fine time to get an Apple - pretty much the same learning curve)

Good luck!

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, thanks w4r. Not much help though, I'm afraid. I can't afford to buy an Apple! I blew my budget recently on a computer purchase...

Actually, Vista and I are starting to get along a little better. I have a few more suggestions to try on the email problem. I've never had trouble taking Outlook Express files from one OS to another before, either...but it was inevitable!

I think I figured out the game thing--somehow, an early version of Adobe flash player is installed. It's not supported on 64-bit machines, so IE hangs or dies when I try to look at the daily Sudoku and Crossword on the CBSnews site. (Nope...I never read the news....just do the puzzles! ) So tonite when I'm logged off of pets.ca, I'll deinstall Flash and try to download Flash 11 again. I think that version of it is compatible with my machine!

I've bookmarked the filezilla site for further study... When I'm rested. Actually, I loved 1999, and WS-FTP is like second nature after all this time... We old codgers like to keep our bad habits!

Oh, and I've been trying to google, yahoo, etc for 3 days now...so difficult at 24.4 Kbps... (yes, some of us old codgers are on dial-up, too...we live in a dead zone for things like cable, TV/radio signal and cell phones. If I had the money and less forest between us and the sky, satellite might be an option.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM

As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...
To get it to "run as administrator" right click on the program then choose run as administrator

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site

Yeah, I think it's the Flash version issue--those are the only two downloads I've attempted that require it--and both of them cause IE to hang or fail I'm glad they're still out there I miss them terribly

To get it to "run as administrator" right click on the program then choose run as administrator
It runs automatically from a disk, though... Not quite sure how to do that...

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Before you put the disc in the drive click the Start button, computer that shows the hd and the disc drive, put the disc in, double click on the disc drive & you should have an Auto run window pop up that asks what you want to do. There is a box you can un-check for automatic play. You should have the option of running the program or opening/exploring the files. Click on exploring the files - then right click the Application & click run as administrator.

Even if the programs runs auto, while it's attempting you can still hit the start button, computer, double click the disc drive to see the files then right click & run as admin

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Okay! I'll try that!

And I better go do it now...it's already after midnight and I still want to try to download the newest Flash version, too

Old April 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Garden nut

You bought a 64 bit machine? That's some power! And that's why your Soduku disc won't play... because it's not geared for 64 bit. Perhaps something on the web will work but programs that run off discs (hard drive or CD/DVD) need to be programmed to deal with 64 bit.

In my opinion stay away from Internet Explorer. I always had so much trouble with that until I switched permanently to Firefox.

You can put your pictures anywhere you want on your machine. Go into whatever resembles a file explorer on Vista, like My Computer or whatever. Then click around until you get to the general area where you want the photo folder to go. From there, make a new folder. There should be little things on the left or right side of the screen in My Computer that will say "make new folder."

Then when you access your camera's stored pictures, you can highlight them all in the My Computer area, and tell the computer to "move" all files from the camera memory to the designated folder you specially made.

Any time you need to download new drivers and doo-dads like Flash, you're going to have to look for 64 bit versions. Including your digital camera software. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for 64 bit versions.

Put a stickie note on your screen saying don't forget about the 64 bit, 'cause anything that's still the "old" 32 bit may not work at all.

64 bit compared to 32 bit is like comparing a 20 lane highway to a 2 lane highway. Well this is a bit of an extreme analogy but you get the general idea. There are more "lanes" of electron traffic in a 64 bit machine. So to compare 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine, is like to compare a hillbilly from Deliverance walking in downtown New York city and having to navigate the subways and roads simultaneously. The hillbilly can eventually figure out how to get around New York but needs special instructions and a good map. Or in this case, a software programmer to change the code to tell the program how to behave in a 64 bit environment. Otherwise the software just freaks out and can't do much so it freezes and won't work.

And don't ever pay for Geeksquad. They overcharge in my opinion. Charge hundreds of bucks for something simple that only takes a couple of hours. They overcharge because they know people out there don't know much about computers and they get away with it. Corporate highway robbery! If I lived closer to you I'd do it for a homemade dinner, some laughs and play time with your doggies.

Publisher won't work with Firefox because Microshaft products don't work with Firefox as a whole. There might be a free open source website thingie available.

Any time you want a new software tool, look for free, open-sourced software. 99% of the time there is a free, stable and often better equivalent.

http://www.designvitality.com/blog/2...dy-know-about/

Just something I Google'd there that has listings of open-source software.

The world is moving to more collaborative effort and moving away from high-price corporatism. Support them any chance you get. Open-source is a better idea because regular geeks who know programming and think of new ways that software can be better, can just program their own bit and then give it away free to everyone else. Then everyone benefits! Programmers can team up together and improve software. And every time a new person joins in the fun, the software becomes better and better. No more making complaints and hoping a giant corporation will make the changes, which often times don't work anyway because they released it too soon. A huge example of that is.... Vista! They released that too soon and it's got more holes than swiss cheese in it security-wise and lack of ease to the normal user.

64 bit is still pretty new and not many people have it. As a result not much software is coded to be able to work on 64 bit. But it's coming around, and much quicker for Linux (open source FREE operating system) than it is for Microshaft products.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Read and try that out, see if it works for your Flash.

I still gotta do attachment pics so you can see my furkids. But it's 5 am and I only got up to let the dogs out to potty and check on the basement. We're in spring melting time now and there's a spring under the floor in the basement and every time it rains hard or melts snow, it begins to flood down there so we have to keep an eye out to make sure the pump works and things don't start swimming down there.

For the rest of you folks reading this, you will be much happier if you switch to Linux and not buy into the whole Vista thing. Dell even sells new computers installed with Linux nowadays. I still use XP but only because I build my own computers and this computer is good enough for now. But the next time I need to upgrade, I'm going Linux. Linux is better prepared for 64 bit machines and more and more programs are coming out Linux based much faster than they do for Microshaft-based software.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; April 6th, 2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hazel,,, try right clicking on your IE logo on your comp, a box thingy comes up (yeah i know technical term eh) any, go to the bottome of box thingy, click on properties..another box will open will, general,security, blah blah, one will say compatibility..... click that one...there is a little box that says " run this program in compatibility mode for"..... you want to set it for windows xp (service pack2). that should help with some of your problems..
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

If you can get onto this site....http://www.tech-recipes.disqus.com/v..._tech_recipes/

they have two or three different suggestions that apparantly work... there is apparantly two versions of IE on your comp, anyway check it out and see if any of this helps.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Ohhh Hazel..

is there a chance or maybe I missed it a Model number of your PC? Then I can troubleshoot much easier.

I have had Vista since its pre-beta days I am pretty confident I can get you sorted.

dont cry/throw pc/ just yet.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
(btw Dell reaaaally sucks IMO my friend's Dells are forever breaking down )
Laptop or desktop? Desktops you might as well put together yourself, laptops not so easy, I have a dell Inspiron laptop going on 4 years and never had a lick of trouble with it (except issues I caused myself). It is XP, I am definitely not going to be getting any new computers until Vista is dead and buried.
My BF's new dell came with XP and as I said he burned on XP, to hazelrunpack do you know anyone could send you a copy with key codes to install? Vista sounds like a nightmare...
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

The problem with re-installing XP is DRIVERS... many perperials installed may not be reconsized by XP. (Trust me I have downgraded a few) and the worst ones is the internet connection. how do you grab new XP drivers when you cant get online to get them? Nor do you know if they actually work.

That is my serious concern.
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
Ohhh Hazel..

is there a chance or maybe I missed it a Model number of your PC? Then I can troubleshoot much easier.

I have had Vista since its pre-beta days I am pretty confident I can get you sorted.

dont cry/throw pc/ just yet.
Hubby, bless is heart, is busy at work looking for missing things....like my template and font files for Publisher (helpful for the printed versions I do), some of the files I lost because my most recent backup CD failed at this most inconvenient of times and I had to go back to the end of January, and even some programs.... So I'm feeling a little more positive.

The model number is HP a6700y, but I'm slowly getting a handle on what is and isn't possible with this. It's powerful, but incompatible with a lot of software I have--like that photo editor That one I'm gonna miss... Rumor has it that it's just 64-bit incompatible. But I had some older programs that I could install just fine that will work--only I'll have to use 2-3 different editors to do what I used to do in the Image Zone editor alone. Still, this is doable.

I'm laughing more today. That's a good thing! This has been a four-day funk for ol' hazel

Main problem right now: I still can't get my contacts or old emails imported into Windows Mail.

I finally got it to recogize the .wab contact file, but when I try to import it tells me there's been an error and the import failed. It would be more useful if it actually indicated what the error was, cuz it's pretty obvious that one occurred...even hazel could see that! But it's not specific.

As for the email files, when I direct Windows Mail to where the files are stored, it tells me no files match the search and no import results...

Very frustrating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Laptop or desktop? Desktops you might as well put together yourself, laptops not so easy, I have a dell Inspiron laptop going on 4 years and never had a lick of trouble with it (except issues I caused myself). It is XP, I am definitely not going to be getting any new computers until Vista is dead and buried.
My BF's new dell came with XP and as I said he burned on XP, to hazelrunpack do you know anyone could send you a copy with key codes to install? Vista sounds like a nightmare...
Desktop...and I have a copy of XP with a license...but I just talked to a techie guy I know and he counseled against doing it. Like Diamondsmum said, some things will just not translate easily from the 32-bit, single processor configuration of the old machine to the 64-bit, quad processor configuration of the new. So I guess I'll just have to work with Vista.

I don't recommend it, though The main thing I have against it right now is just that I hate it!

My plan was to wait for the new Windows OS, too...my motherboard had other ideas. pftuiiiiiiiii...and if I put it together myself, I'd still be at it. hazel is not handy that way!

Old April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
-

Hazel, I know I'm waaay out of my league here but I found this from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...rum-w;forums06 ....

Quote:
The best way to do this is do download Dmailer sync it allows you to synchronzie all your email data (including contacts) from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail and saves it to a memory stick. Then you can restore that data to Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail. You can even synchronize your files and internet Bookmarks or Favorites at the same time if you want, this is helpful if you are moving computer.

Using this software will not cost you because you can do this within the free 30 day trial period.

You can download it from:
www.dmailer.com
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmm must investiagte further.

hazel I wil check it more tomorrow for you
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Hazel, I know I'm waaay out of my league here but I found this from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_10...rum-w;forums06 ....

Interesting! I'll check that out, rainbow! Thanks!

DM, have you ever had a client that had this problem when they migrated from XP to Vista?

Old April 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Looks like Rainbow sent a pretty good read Hazel- I just checked it out. Cnet is a good site for problem solving

Do you have a printer set up with your Vista now Hazel?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

most of the time no. hazel bc I usually do a windows transfer with the XP machine is still running. or the back up is set up as a .cvs (comma seperated by colan) I think its called. not a .wab?

or.. I convert them to outlook (office)
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep...two, as a matter of fact!

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

DM, I thought Outlook files wouldn't import to Windows mail without going through OE, first?

The address book is specifically listed as having to be .wab. The old emails are .dbx files. It recognizes the .wab file, but can't import it. The .dbx files don't seem to be recognized at all

I suspect half my problem is that I'm having to import them from a backup disk since the XP machine is not functioning....

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm currently in a chat room with an HP techie about the Image Zone software. Still haven't give up on it, but it looks grim.

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
-

I found something wlse but most of it is gobbledy-gook to me ....

http://blogs.technet.com/james/archi...ows-vista.aspx

And, please tell me to buzz off if I'm wasting your time.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

rainbow, you are a genius!!!!!!

It's importing even as I type!!!! <----happy dance

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 6th, 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: got so excited there!
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I am now the proud owner of my reclaimed old email... Only missing a month or so--one of my backup disks failed so I had to go back to the Jan 31 bkp. I'll settle for that!!!!

rainbow! You're such a good detective!! and she says she's a computer dummy! Hah!!!

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
-

Are you serious???

WOOOO HOOOO ......I am so happy for you.

I might be a good detective but I still am really clueless about computers or anything else like that.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Absolutely serious

Now I gotta try the same trick with the contacts file!

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, rats...it didn't work. However, I can open the file in word and get a print copy...It's four pages long, but it does have all my old contact list in it!

We're on a roll now, rainbow! Got any suggestions for imagezone?

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
-

Is this what you did for the contacts ...

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...cts-vista.html
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
-

What is Imagezone?