Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

VISTA nightmares

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there ...so that suggestion isn't necessary Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. :sad

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku or the Daily Crossword? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software. :sad:

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... ) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat.

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 5th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I feel for you. My laptop came with Vista, and I have to admit it is a huge pain in the butt, but I've sort of grown used to it.

One of Vista's main pains is downloading stuff. It's constantly asking for permission to do so. Did it alert you something was trying to download?

My computer knowledge only goes so far. Doesn't Aslan work with computers? Maybe she can help.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Download XP burn it to a disk and reformat and use that until Windows 7(?) comes out. My BF had vista on his new laptop and only kept it for around a month.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hey Hazel--

Poor girl :sad:

Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

http://www.tucows.com/search.html?se...in&search_lib=

I have a website but it's for a 1974 antique British TR6 car hubby and I are restoring.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Skylar's Farm

I'm going to put in another vote for downloading XP and re-formatting.
My current Dell was bought last year through my husband's office, they are still able to order "used" models with XP.
Good Luck!
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
-

Hazel, as you well know I am "the" computer dummy here but I just wanted to give you some and a whole lot of
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I wish I knew more about programs to help you.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers.
As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?

I too am sorry that I'm not familiar with Vista and would love to help you avoid unecessary meltdowns Name:  sad0126.gif
Views: 430
Size:  11.0 KB

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

http://www.tucows.com/search.html?se...in&search_lib=
for that link, klmccallum. I've bookmarked it to look at later.

Old April 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?
Best Buy doesn't carry anything with XP on it anymore. It's all this Vista crap :sad: And my other option was the place where they're trying to double-bill me. Don't want to deal with them...

Old April 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Hazel how frustrating,when we got our new PC,we specifically asked for Windows XP to be installed.
Our computer-genius(friend of my sons)himself likes Vista,but he is a computer-expert.Good Luck
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

awwww hazel im so sorry ure going thru this frustration.

I thought a new pc would be the end of ure troubles :sad: (btw Dell reaaaally sucks IMO my friend's Dells are forever breaking down ).

Maybe someone can send you a cd with XP burned on it? I would, I have loads of empty CDs but dunno where I could download a good copy Wouldnt want to make it worse!!

This is pretty much why Im switching to a mac when my laptop finally dies.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited by onster; April 5th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Anyone know if you can still even purchase the Windows XP Pro OS?

Old April 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, when I got my laptop, I considered changing Vista to XP. I called Best Buy, and Geek Squad said they were able to do that. I decided against it because it was too expensive. I think they may still do that. I know my boss just purchased a computer and had to especially order it to come with XP.

Give Geek Squad a call.

http://www.geeksquad.com/

Old April 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll call them tomorrow. The one guy there has been very helpful and is very knowledgeable. that they can do it...

Do you recall how much it was going to cost, AG?

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, it was less than $300, but close to it.

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ouch. That's about $300 more than I have budgeted right now

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, that's why I still have Vista on my laptop. I've just learned to live with it.

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I may have to learn to limp along with it, too. :sad: But I'm not gonna be a happy camper!

Have you found any good 'I hate Vista' forums? I'd love to join...

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, no I haven't found any forums.

It's hard to get used to, but eventually you will at least be able to use it without too much trouble. If you can get someone to set it up the way you want it, to allow you to do what you need, then you should be okay after that.

I still wish I had XP, but since I don't have that money to spend to change it back I have no choice. If the next Windows OS is like XP was, I may try to scrounge up the money to change it. But I'll wait until the iron out the kinks first.

The thing is, I was told after the summer Microsoft will no longer offer support for XP.

Old April 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any suggestions for you about getting your email back. I've had to reload everything twice in recent months and lost the entire contents of OE in the process. You might try loading Gmail, which is way better, has more memory and stores your stuff on their servers so nothing is lost. You have to be invited, however; let me know if you'd like me to put in a word, all I need is your addy. I still use Outlook Express, in tandem with Gmail, because I cant be bothered to notify the bank, etc.

My techie downloaded Firefox for me the last time we had to reload Windows (XP) and I highly recommend it. Don't mess with the Vista, just download Firefox and use it instead, at least until you've gotten Vista sorted out. On my system, Firefox is faster and has fewer glitches (freezes, etc.).
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Its tough to find in some locations but I wouldnt pay more than 100.00 for it! if that! the thing too is you have to make sure its a legit copy because you wont be able to update anything from microsoft and unfortunately we need some of their patches...The other thing too is it would mean rebuilding your system? they will charge you if you dont know how to do it.

Hazel its really frustrating...I am standing firm! No Vista until I absolutely have too!

Alot of the origional cd's that you get with pcs have the extra software so it might be worth it to check out what the cd says!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Master of the Drool!

I hope you are feeling alittle better Hazel. I have never used Vista. Been to paranoid. I get my computer stuff at a guy I know through a friend, Got a great rebuild laptop for 200 with Windows XP Pro. But It is here in Oshawa. Wish I could be more help
and Drooly kisses from the boys
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hazel - have you checked your emails?
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Swift Tribe

HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'm the first to admit--I hate change

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive Name:  happy0077.gif
Views: 840
Size:  884 Bytes

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco Name:  cool0012.gif
Views: 838
Size:  1.3 KB

Old April 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yes, as a matter of fact, I just did

Very helpful, although I'm too tired to try all the suggestions tonight! Thank your son-in-law for me

T&C, I'm still waiting for that link to load. Sigh...

badger, I'm stuck with IE until I give up on Publisher. I still snail mail out a few newsletters...and then put it out on the web, so I need something that will handle both phases. Unfortunately, Publisher web files are not browsable by Firefox. :sad:

However, this whole issue might end up moot if I can't get my software to work.

Winston, the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Just venting was actually quite helpful At least I'm not threatening the machine with a sledge hammer any more and I've smiled at least twice since dinner

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash
Okay, so now I've out-and-out laughed tonight! This is an improvement! w4r, and give Alex a big kiss on the nose for me.

Quote:
I'm the first to admit--I hate change

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive Attachment 50376

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco Attachment 50373
Oy, you mean the panic was that apparent?

I hate change, too...but when I changed to XP it wasn't nearly as traumatic as the change to Vista. Still, I'm already making plans to get around the obstacles...and some of the dark despair and black clouds are rolling away.

It's not a learning curve, though--it was more like being in the lane when the semi sped through...a flattening experience.

But you're right--in a month or two, I won't remember what all I've lost...so I'll feel better about it. See? Senility has it's up side!

Thanks for the pep talk.

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and M&M, you don't know how immeasurably helpful those drooly kisses were in the interim. Thank the boys for me, please!