Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
banned user

Quote:
Do your pets eat meat? Do you feed your pets meat? Probably yes, because you love your pets and don't want their health to suffer. But are you not also contributing to the meat industry then?
WOW, Moon- you bring up a very interesting point! And one that I have not heard before.
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM

lol just when I thought the topic had been laid to rest...actually I do feed my cats a vegan cat food and they love it...only one pet store where I live that sells it, unless you order online...and my rabbit..well..pellets and lettuce and carrots
My family has a dog too, and no she doesn't eat vegan, but then half the people in my house don't either and I don't buy her food, they do.

Cactus Flower..they don't sell Yves where you live? That's too bad, you can make tacos, spag sauce, chile, sloppy joes, etc with their veggie ground beef! yum! I discovered it about 8 yrs ago and it was bliss ever since, hehe. Schneiders also makes REALLY good veggie products now but they've just started selling them here this past year or so (I think). They make these thick veggie "burgers" too that taste just like the ones your momma makes lol. Wish my brothers would try them...stubborn guys...one of these days they will get some unsuspected soy between those hamburger buns...mwahahahaha...see if they even notice...
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM
banned user

You're killing me, Crazy Hippie- my mouth is watering BIG TIME.

I am going shopping tomorrow, and I'll ask the manager if maybe I can special order it. The few meat substitutes that I've tried tasted pretty much like sawdust to me, so I'm really anxious to try this.

I do eat some meat, but not much. I am always open to a good meat substitute, as I have a medical condition that dictates I'm not supposed to eat meat at ALL (among other things, long story). My body would thank me if I found a good substitute.
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:44 AM

eating meat

Cattle,hogs leave a pretty content life up to the last 2 daysmthen its major stress till death.Fouls/birds are not so lucky,with a 55 day life cycle theres not much to be happy about.
There are subsiutes for the protein we miss from not eating meat.
You can go to a butcher and order a free range bird,no chemicals/open space and a lot healthier to get your protein if you need to.
There are and always be cases of abuse in slaugher houses.PETA tends to go overboard and Pamala doesn't help their cause much.
Can't really go wrong with fish(as long as chemicals within range)
Our dogs/cats do need the meat and byproducts.Remember that they will eat what we would not be allowed to consume.Do your research and you would see where their meat comes from,I'am not going to get into that one.
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
banned user

Quote:
Our dogs/cats do need the meat and byproducts
Actually, my dog is a vegetarian, and the vet says that she is extremely healthy. She is allergic to meat protein, so she is on a vegetarian dog food.
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
Actually, my dog is a vegetarian, and the vet says that she is extremely healthy. She is allergic to meat protein, so she is on a vegetarian dog food.

Wow -- what is the main protein source? I understood that dogs were allergic to soy.... is it nuts? Hmm, I have never heard of a vegetarian dog before! That's neat!
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
banned user

It does list soy flour, and various supplements among the veggie ingredients. She's been doing wonderful on it, and her coat has never looked so good (her skin as well). The brand is "Avo Derm". This one is the vegetarian type, but even their non vegetarian dog foods all are made for dogs with skin problems/sensitivities. They don't add nasty preservatives and common allergens to any of their food.

I can't say enough good about this food! It has saved Raj, big time.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/Dog_P...rmdog_veg.html

Last edited by Cactus Flower; June 19th, 2005 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add link
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:05 PM

That one actually is available in Korea -- although not every type of it, and definitely not the vegetarian type. The only kind I saw didn't have a very good ingredient listing, however -- but I'll check again..... it's good to hear such a glowing endorsement! Food is always an issue with Casey.
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Oops, the discussion not done yet!
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:12 AM
banned user

I hear that the same dog food can have different ingredients/quality from country to country. I don't know if that's true of AvoDerm, just a thought.

Sorry for the hijack, Vas.
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontamara

Wow -- what is the main protein source? I understood that dogs were allergic to soy.... is it nuts? Hmm, I have never heard of a vegetarian dog before! That's neat!
Soy can cause gas, which can lead to bloat. That's all I have heard about soy.
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM

Soy may cause gas when you first introduce it to your diet. But when you do it bit by bit, your system will adjust (for animals too I'd assume) and soon it's just like any other food.
Milk also causes gas/bloat in many ppl (I read that over 80% of population is lactose intolerant and don't realize it...and I'm one of em but I sure realize it...hehe)
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM
banned user

Read an article today that the meat producers are expecting US FDA approval of cloned meats. There are about 300 some animals cloned as food supply in the US.