Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Unhappy Parvo devastation

I found out that my new puppy has parvo and I am devastated. She is currently hospitalized and will be for two days. If she survives, I will be thrilled. However, hospitalization is extremely exprensive and I don't have the money to hospitalize her more than two days (if she survives these two days). I am assuming that if she comes back, she will be on medication and a special diet. But as to hollistic approaches, can they be merged with modern science? I've heard about two different hollistic approaches.. Does garlic really work? And how do I go about adminstering the garlic (i.e. raw, fresh, and organic?). And also, I've heard that boiled chicken liver works, has anyone had experience with this? I can use any kind of advice... thanks.
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo
I found out that my new puppy has parvo and I am devastated. She is currently hospitalized and will be for two days. If she survives, I will be thrilled. However, hospitalization is extremely exprensive and I don't have the money to hospitalize her more than two days (if she survives these two days). I am assuming that if she comes back, she will be on medication and a special diet. But as to hollistic approaches, can they be merged with modern science? I've heard about two different hollistic approaches.. Does garlic really work? And how do I go about adminstering the garlic (i.e. raw, fresh, and organic?). And also, I've heard that boiled chicken liver works, has anyone had experience with this? I can use any kind of advice... thanks.
I feel for you and your puppy. Parvo is very dangerous...please try to work out a full treatment and payment plan with your vet. Once in full blown onset of the virus, count on another week of hospital care...iv hydration and anti-nausea, antibiotics, b vitamins are crucial to her recovery. A parvo puppy can be playful one minute and crash the next. Visit her, cuddle and talk to her... the will to survive is half the game...many die because they lose their will to survive.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Perhaps you can talk to the vet about working out a payment plan? I'm sorry to hear that your pup has Parvo. I hope she pulls through. Have you contacted where you got her from to advise them? If one pup has it, the chances are pretty good that others in the litter will as well.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Maybe try calling the breeder and see they will help. I don't know how long you've had your puppy, but if he was purchased very recently then its possible you bought the puppy already infected. Its worth a shot getting in contact with the breeder to, if nothing else, get advise.
Wish I could help you more!
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Neither garlic nor boiled chicken is going to do anything to ease this deadly illness. Even with vet care, there are no guarantees. There is no cure, and supportive care only is given.

I agree you should try and work something out with your vet.

I hope your puppy gets better.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about your puppy. I too would contact the breeder. A reputable breeder will be concerned and want to help! I hope your puppy survives!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Unhappy Parvoguard or parvaid?

Has anyone had an experience with Parvoguard or parvaid? I want to order it but it isn't even sold in stores, I don't know how well it works...
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a friend that tried it and it does not work. Meatloaf my puppy had Parvo bad! He needs vet care untill he gets better. He will be fine one minute and the next minute he could die. Not to be mean but I went through this so I know. Please borrow the money put it on your credit card do whatever but he MUST stay with the vet even if you think he is doing better he needs more than two days at the vet. I am so sorry that you have to go through this Parvo is awful. Where did you get your puppy from ?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Unhappy

I only had my puppy for two days before she went to the hospital. I got her from a really shady private seller. I think she is in Mexico now. She met me at 7-eleven, i paid cash, and she wasn't the same person I spoke to. They couldn't present vet records and they said they gave her a shot and dewormed her, but I guess I was foolish for not taking her to the vet the very next day. It is sad to hear that parvoguard doesn't work. How about TAMIFLU? Anyway, I am thinking of caring for her at home. I'm trying to get a home IV set and I think they will give me medication also. This will be to cut costs and still give her treatment. I want her to be home because I can care for her 24/7. The hospital does not provide night care for her. I figure I can do more at home as long as I can get an IV. What do you guys think? I JUST WANT HER TO PULL THROUGH.... but it is looking very grim... I am so sad.....
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Tamiflu

We've had very good results with Tamiflu. It really acts like a power pepto bismol which is half the battle when dealing with Parvo in a young pup. I'm rooting for your puppy.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM
<-----nut ball

here is an interesting website with lots of info:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_treatment.html
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM

My dog had to be put to sleep because she was vomitting and screaming... =( Not only did I have to put her to sleep but they charged me another 300 dollars to do it. I spent 1200 dollars to see her get sick and die... this has been the worse ever. I didn't even get to name her or see her play... =( Thank you for all your posts... :sad:
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:15 PM

I am so sorry JWO
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM

If you could purchase the equipment and meds from the vet it would be best to take care of your puppy yourself. Just the TLC will give her the strength to carry on.All the vet is doing is the iv drip and regular meds and daily blood testing.Nighttime is crucial as well. Should take 5-7 days to go through the cycle.
Important to keep everything clean from contamination-clothing and flest especially.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

So sorry to hear about your puppy! :sad: I am so sorry that you had to learn this way about backyard breeders - this pup was surely sick before you ever got her, and no telling for how long. Next time, look for a reputable breeder or adopt from a shelter.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,today we had two horrible examples of bad"breeders"and it cost the puppies their lives,how very sad :sad:
I wish people would learn and think twice before buying a puppy from these evil people and they in turn should be hung by the b..lls if they have any Those poor little babies did not stand a chance :sad:
I am really upset about these two stories,I hope there are some good-news stories in other posts...
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM

Exclamation BEWARE- My poor puppy...

I went to the ALL CREATURES ANIMAL HOSPITAL in Murrieta, California. I would like to tell people my experience there. I paid 600$ to leave my puppy there for two days. I already told them I could hardly afford that but They told me that they would be able to give me an oppinion as the the health of my Parvo puppy (whether it could be treated at home or if I should put it down or it needed more hospitalization.

When I visited her, she was shivering! They didnít put a heat lamp on her till the next day AND they had the air blasting!

After two days, when I came back to speak to the doctor, they were too busy to see me. At that point my 48 hours had almost expired. They told me to come back to speak to him later in the afternoon. When I came back to speak to him, he reccommended further hospitalization, however, I wasnít sure if I should keep her there or put her down (she was very sick and was in a lot of pain). While I was thinking, I was watching her. She began to scream and vomit and the doctor told me I should put her down. I said it was okay and I was upset about it. That was my new baby! Then I went to pay the bill.200$ to put her down! THen they charged me a 100$ for antibiotics they gave her that day! They did this without my authorizatioin and consent. They didnít even call me about it and then they charged me. That was yesterday, I went back today to get my 100$ back becasue I didnít authorize their actions. She told me that I was there when he did it, which I was there, but I had not made any decisions about her future. In addition, because I was there, that was even more reason to at least TELL me that they were doing that. The nurse gave me a bunch of attitude and only refunded me 75$. I asked her why, and she said one of the injections was for the euthanasia. But they had listed those shots seperately! She lied straight to my face! At that point, I just left, took my loses and I will have nothing to do with that hospital ever again.

In addition to that, during one of my talks with the doctor, he said, ďThe dog is my patient and I want the best for her. You come from a clean family, you are clean, your father loves you, you love your dog. If you were Mexican, I would have told you to leave. I would have sent you home yesterday with the puppy.Ē

Imagine how he treats his unsuspecting Mexican owners!

I will never do business with that hospital again. BEWARE of vets that take advantage of people with sick animals.
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo
I went to the ALL CREATURES ANIMAL HOSPITAL in Murrieta, California. I would like to tell people my experience there. I paid 600$ to leave my puppy there for two days. I already told them I could hardly afford that but They told me that they would be able to give me an oppinion as the the health of my Parvo puppy (whether it could be treated at home or if I should put it down or it needed more hospitalization.

When I visited her, she was shivering! They didn’t put a heat lamp on her till the next day AND they had the air blasting!

After two days, when I came back to speak to the doctor, they were too busy to see me. At that point my 48 hours had almost expired. They told me to come back to speak to him later in the afternoon. When I came back to speak to him, he reccommended further hospitalization, however, I wasn’t sure if I should keep her there or put her down (she was very sick and was in a lot of pain). While I was thinking, I was watching her. She began to scream and vomit and the doctor told me I should put her down. I said it was okay and I was upset about it. That was my new baby! Then I went to pay the bill.200$ to put her down! THen they charged me a 100$ for antibiotics they gave her that day! They did this without my authorizatioin and consent. They didn’t even call me about it and then they charged me. That was yesterday, I went back today to get my 100$ back becasue I didn’t authorize their actions. She told me that I was there when he did it, which I was there, but I had not made any decisions about her future. In addition, because I was there, that was even more reason to at least TELL me that they were doing that. The nurse gave me a bunch of attitude and only refunded me 75$. I asked her why, and she said one of the injections was for the euthanasia. But they had listed those shots seperately! She lied straight to my face! At that point, I just left, took my loses and I will have nothing to do with that hospital ever again.

In addition to that, during one of my talks with the doctor, he said, “The dog is my patient and I want the best for her. You come from a clean family, you are clean, your father loves you, you love your dog. If you were Mexican, I would have told you to leave. I would have sent you home yesterday with the puppy.”

Imagine how he treats his unsuspecting Mexican owners!

I will never do business with that hospital again. BEWARE of vets that take advantage of people with sick animals.
Wow Jwo, I really feel for you and the loss of your puppy. I have seen more than my share of parvo starting when the nasty disease first came out.
It is obivious the vet did not use good client communication skills.
When you first brought the puppy in, did you inquire about cost and get an estimate? Most vet's will give a written estimate when treatment is uncertain.

As for her shaking and cold temp..it is not unusual for a parvo pup to spike a sub temperature...an abnormal temperature is still one even if it falls below 101 degrees. Blood loss also causes sub temps.

I am glad you were able to recover some of the cost. Please give her a name, even though she is gone.

Last edited by Karin; May 21st, 2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:36 PM

We had paid for treatment ahead of time. We got the estimate and it was for two days, we paid right there. The deal was that I would come the second day and speak with the doctor about her condition and figure out what to do. When I came, they were super busy,I had already waited two hours, so they told me to come back a few hours later. I already told them I couldn't afford expensive treatment. They didn't even tell me or let alone ask me if they could give the shots. I was still thinking of whether to take her home, keep her there, or euthanize her. After my talks with the doctor (I hadn't made any decision yet), I went to see her, that is when she was euthanized. Then they told me about the antibiotics charge. I paid it because I was super upset and couldn't think straight. When I went back to get my money back, she claimed that I was there when the injections were given. I wasn't. Then she only refunded me 75% of the amount not even the tax! And said one of the shots weren't the same. What is that? It is listed as the same in the receipt. If it were different, they would list it different. she totally just lied. I reported them to the Better Business Bureau already. I don't want others to be treated the same way, or even worse because they are Mexican. I'm not even Mexican, and look how they treated me.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your baby! I know it is hard to see a puppy suffer! I hated seeing Meatloaf go through it! It is such a BAD illness! And many pups never make it through it. :sad:

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo